Author Topic: Hey! It's the 'Your Favorite Guitar Strings' Thread!  (Read 2775 times)

snyprrr

Hey! It's the 'Your Favorite Guitar Strings' Thread!
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:08:46 AM »
1) Just broke a string on the classical. If I want strings NOW! >:D I can choose from probably two brands at the store. Please indulge me in the state of the art; what are some interesting new developments? I'm playing freaky stuff on the CG, so, experimental strings are what I'm looking for (yes, strings to make me play better, haha!).

2) For electric, I've ALWAYS gone with Ernie Ball .009s (GHS Boomers otherwise probably). Where are you at?

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
Re: Hey! It's the 'Your Favorite Guitar Strings' Thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:39:27 AM »
Dogal Diamante string are interesting. They are a carbon-nylon hybrid that retain the positive qualities of each: some of the warmth of nylon with the great sustain and clarity of carbon. I don't care for their bass strings, though. They are too soft and wear out quickly. Strings by Mail sells the trebles separately.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »
I prefer the A string (yes; I know about the G string, but still prefer the sonority of the A).

snyprrr

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
Dogal Diamante string are interesting. They are a carbon-nylon hybrid that retain the positive qualities of each: some of the warmth of nylon with the great sustain and clarity of carbon. I don't care for their bass strings, though. They are too soft and wear out quickly. Strings by Mail sells the trebles separately.

Well, I had to get D'Addario 'Classical Guitar Strings' with 'rectified' treble and silver coated wound...oo oo oo...

The bass are nice and plunky, but the treble have a 'sanded' quality, I don't know,... my last set wasn't like this. The very highest natural harmonics seem more difficult to coax out.

Still, it was good to change the strings and hear how my piece (in pieces) sounds. Pretty good,... all the 'beats' are coming through nicely.

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »
I just restrung my guitar (2009 Randy Angella) with Augustine Regals for the 1st and 2nd string, an Oasis carbon 3rd, and D'addario EXP-46 basses. I really like this combo--it's very powerful and clear.

snyprrr

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
I just restrung my guitar (2009 Randy Angella) with Augustine Regals for the 1st and 2nd string, an Oasis carbon 3rd, and D'addario EXP-46 basses. I really like this combo--it's very powerful and clear.

I was JUST checking out:

http://www.JustStrings.com/classicalguitar.html

Oh, I'm so behind the times. :( Carbon, clear nylon, rectified,... aye, I got the rectified (sanded) trebles and it seems so much harder coaxing out the very high natural harmonics (specifically the very high 'G' located just after the 3rd fret). The clear nylons that I had on before seemed so much better. I haven't tried any carbon strings.

I haven't tried a wound 'G' string. What can I expect here? It seems tempting for what I'm doing (highlighting the bass qualities).

Also, I just changed my strings a week ago (per this Thread) and AGAIN the high 'E' string just popped at the nut. Grrr,... and I can't get single strings here.

Where can I get the rolls?

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:52:10 AM »
Sounds as if you have a rough spot on your nut--might be worth checking out.

I've never tried a wound 3rd--very old school! I imagine you'd lose some sweetness and gain more left hand noise!

I don't know where "here" is for you, but I think SBM ships internationally.

snyprrr

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »

I've never tried a wound 3rd--very old school! I imagine you'd lose some sweetness and gain more left hand noise!

I misread your 'carbon 3rd' for 'wound', ack! :-\

Cool, SBM, gotcha, thanks!

snyprrr

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:19:29 AM »

There are a LOT of choices, some very expensive. I'll need to do more research, but I'm quite interested in finding something strange (heavy metal CG strings, haha??).