Author Topic: The Originals  (Read 7528 times)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: The Originals
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
However, sentimental reasons apart, currently I'm not a fan of my first disc containing a Beethoven symphony:

The Pastorale is, as far as I know, usually regarded as the acme of the WP/Böhm set. Never-the-less I did never warm to it.

- - - - -

Quote from: Opus106
Which was bought along with another from the series -- one which I mistook for a recording by Karajan. :)

A fortunate mistake I would say. Fricsay´s Choral is next to my preferred version of this work.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
A number of my favourites already mentioned and I'd like to add these

Cheers

Holden

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »
The Pastorale is, as far as I know, usually regarded as the acme of the WP/Böhm set. Never-the-less I did never warm to it.

This was back when I thought DG, EMI and Sony were the only labels (and definitely the only labels available locally); and I decided that if I ever came across either Walter's 6th or this one, I'd pick one up.

A fortunate mistake I would say. Fricsay´s Choral is next to my preferred version of this work.

A fortunate mistake, indeed. Which is your favourite?

Got that at a discount some years ago. Again, Böhm's pacing is not something I generally prefer in this repertoire, but the Schubert is wonderful.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 01:07:40 AM »
Which is your favourite? [of the Choral symphony]

Klemperer, one of the live ones on Testament, the one with Nordmo Løvberg, Ludwig, Kmentt and Hotter.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 01:18:25 AM »
Klemperer, one of the live ones on Testament, the one with Nordmo Løvberg, Ludwig, Kmentt and Hotter.

Thanks. Haven't heard it, or any Klemperer in Beethoven, for that matter.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
  • Die Musik ist die Sprache der Leidenschaft.
  • Currently Listening to:
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Respighi, Shostakovich, Janáček and Dvořák. And many more......
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 09:11:35 AM »
For Karajan's Holst Planets, I much prefer the coupling on another CD, where it comes with Monteux's excellent Elgar Enigma Variations. It's also among Elgarian's favorite readings of those variations, and he should know, his name is Elgarian!

I don't know Monteux's performance, I have to admit that I mainly cared about The Planets when I bought this CD. And, anyway I couldn't go wrong with Karajan/Strauss.
Yeah, I suppose it must be a fine recording if it's among Alan's favourites, he should certainly know Elgar's music very well. :)
"Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
Those Honegger symphonies 2/3 were good - when I bought the original LP.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
I don't know Monteux's performance, I have to admit that I mainly cared about The Planets when I bought this CD. And, anyway I couldn't go wrong with Karajan/Strauss.
Yeah, I suppose it must be a fine recording if it's among Alan's favourites, he should certainly know Elgar's music very well. :)

Yes, the Monteux performance of the Enigma Variations is great. Go back and listen to it. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »

A couple of superb discs not mentioned so far (though I'm not sure thelast one really is an Original).

Offline betterthanfine

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

One of my first classical discs, and still one of my favourite piano recitals. Amazing playing!

Offline admiralackbar

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »
This one would be a no-brainer except it's only available as one of those expensive Japanese Shm-CD CDs. Probably worth it anyway. As an alternative the non-Originals recording is floating around cheaply on Amazon's MP.

I love this disc. I've been playing around with Spotify and MOG these last few days and just saw that this is available (at least in MOG; haven't checked Spotify yet). One of Zimerman's best.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »
I love this disc. I've been playing around with Spotify and MOG these last few days and just saw that this is available (at least in MOG; haven't checked Spotify yet). One of Zimerman's best.

Yes, one of his best for sure. Glad to hear there's a way around the absurd CD pricing.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline admiralackbar

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »
This one is also available on MOG. Thankfully so – I've been trying to listen to it for almost ten years! :o

Offline Rhymenoceros

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
So many to list!

Bach:

Beethoven:

Chopin:

Moazrt:

Prokofiev/Ravel:

Schubert:

Conor71

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »
I own many Originals - these 2 are my favourite though!  8) :

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Respighi, Shostakovich, Janáček and Dvořák. And many more......
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 03:33:13 AM »
I own many Originals - these 2 are my favourite though!  8) :

Pounds the table!
"Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline admiralackbar

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »
Pounds the table!

And... on the favorites list in MOG they go! I haven't listened to Karajan in Mahler yet – both of these have been on my wishlist for many, many years. Time to listen!

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
And... on the favorites list in MOG they go! I haven't listened to Karajan in Mahler yet – both of these have been on my wishlist for many, many years. Time to listen!

It's certainly worth doing! I have Karajan's recordings of Mahler's symphonies No.4, 5, 6 and 9, Kindertotenlieder, Rückert Lieder and Das Lied von der Erde; they're absolutely gorgeous, although I think Bernstein's performances are the finest I've ever listened to.

Conor71

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on Today at 02:04:48 AM
It's certainly worth doing! I have Karajan's recordings of Mahler's symphonies No.4, 5, 6 and 9,
Kindertotenlieder, Rückert Lieder and Das Lied von der Erde; they're absolutely gorgeous, although I think Bernstein's performances are the finest I've ever listened to.

I have all of Karajan's recordings of the numbered Mahler Symphonies too (even have both his Studio and Live 9th's!) - I think they are my favourite Mahler recordings. I just got Bernstein's first Mahler Cycle with the NYPO orchestra earlier in the year and was blown away by it  8)

Offline DavidA

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 07:32:01 AM »
The other day I was browsing in a econd hand record shop and got an Originals Schumann piano concerto played by Richter. Great performance - little money. Great!