Author Topic: Dune 2020  (Read 636 times)

Offline lisa needs braces

• Veteran member
Dune 2020
« on: May 19, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
So they are going to attempt a third adaptation of Frank Herbert's majestic novel Dune.

The first adaptation, from 1984, was directed by David Lynch and was considered a failure, even though it has a fair number of outspoken fans.

The second adaptation was from 2000 and was made for TV. It's better than Lynch's version as far as plotting/storytelling goes -- they have more time to tell the story -- but it's also very stylistically poor and and its production quality is really low.

Now a third adaptation will be attempted, this time with a blockbuster level budget and A-list types before/behind the screen.

Director:

Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicario, Bladerunner 2049)

Screenwriters:

Eric Roth (Forrest Gump, The Insider), the director, and some rando named Jon Spaihts.

Actors:

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck

Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica

Dave Bautista as 'Beast' Rabban.

Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atredies

This gal as Chani, the Fremen girl Paul marries:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3918035/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atredies.

Javier Bardem as Stilgar

The plan is to make two films.

This is a high level cast, and some of the choices seem genius (Stellan Skarsgård as the Baron.)

Let this thread meet all your Dune 2020 needs.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

https://youtu.be/bf358o6ZHDs

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
Re: Dune 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 02:38:38 AM »
Maybe after this they are finally "Dune" with it...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Roy Bland

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 04:56:38 AM »
IMHO it's truly hard transpose to screen,complexity and deep psychological analysis of Herbert's novel

Offline relm1

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:33:15 PM »
IMHO it's truly hard transpose to screen,complexity and deep psychological analysis of Herbert's novel

How do you mean?  Some of the most complex psychological stories have successfully been translated to film.  Perhaps you mean in a few hours?  But these are two films which will probably total six hours.   

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »
So they are going to attempt a third adaptation of Frank Herbert's majestic novel Dune.

The first adaptation, from 1984, was directed by David Lynch and was considered a failure, even though it has a fair number of outspoken fans.

The second adaptation was from 2000 and was made for TV. It's better than Lynch's version as far as plotting/storytelling goes -- they have more time to tell the story -- but it's also very stylistically poor and and its production quality is really low.

Now a third adaptation will be attempted, this time with a blockbuster level budget and A-list types before/behind the screen.

I saw the first Dune film in the theaters and thought it was perhaps the worst movie I had ever seen. What I mainly remember, the characters walking around with plugs in their noses, and that idiotic thing where the guy has to ride the worm.

PerfectWagnerite

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »
I saw the first Dune film in the theaters and thought it was perhaps the worst movie I had ever seen. What I mainly remember, the characters walking around with plugs in their noses, and that idiotic thing where the guy has to ride the worm.
If only Peter Jackson will take a swing at it.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »
If only Peter Jackson will take a swing at it.

I also remember that Sting, riding high on his success with the Police, had announced that he would become an actor. His performance in Dune put an end to that conceit. So the film did have a purpose to serve.  :laugh:

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 04:28:43 PM »

The worm riding is actually an important thing in Herbert's book (among other things, when Paul has to demonstrate that he can ride a worm, an important thing for the Fremen warrior culture, the worm that answers the thumper used to lure it turns out to be one of the biggest worms the Fremen have seen).

The most idiotic thing in that movie to me was the whirligig thing on which the Emperor and his staff seated themselves to watch the great battle at the end.

I have read the book three times, and each time my opinion of it has lessened.  Herbert indeed builds up a complex, well imagined world, but I think "deep psychological analysis", to use the phrase of a previous poster, is not accurate. The main characters are not two dimensional, but Herbert  doesn't exactly dive deeply into their psyches.

Offline Roy Bland

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 05:31:56 PM »
How do you mean?  Some of the most complex psychological stories have successfully been translated to film.  Perhaps you mean in a few hours?  But these are two films which will probably total six hours.
Dear Relm
Only first novel IMHO needs two movies (novel  was divided into two parts) ,and for instance "God Emperor"it is a desperate undertaking,literary style of Herbert IMHO isn't very cinematographic
Best

P.S.
Also the choice for Paul Atreides is an huge issue, his character changed entirely in Dune Messiah and Dune childrens
P.P.S.
A curiosity Dune's Worms were inspired from petrolifer pipelines that feed our economy
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:50:16 PM by Roy Bland »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 06:03:48 PM »
Dear Relm
Only first novel IMHO needs two movies (novel  was divided into two parts) ,and for instance "God Emperor"it is a desperate undertaking,literary style of Herbert IMHO isn't very cinematographic
Best

P.S.
Also the choice for Paul Atreides is a huge issue, his character changed entirely in Dune Messiah and Dune childrens
P.P.S.
A curiosity Dune's Worms were inspired from petrolifer pipelines that feed our economy

There's also a lot of background detail that would be hard to convey in a movie version. As an example, Count Fenring's congenital eunuchdom and Paul's realization that Fenring, had he not been born that way, might have been the Kwisatz Haderach...and Paul's further realization of the similarities he himself has to Fenring.

Kwisatz Haderach, btw, is an example of Herbert's mining actual human languages, especially Arabic, for his cosmos. No language invention for him a la Tolkein. The phrase is actually a   slightly distorted Hebrew phrase that means "shortening of the way" (Kitzur haDerech is the actual phrase.)

Offline lisa needs braces

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 09:35:15 PM »
There's also a lot of background detail that would be hard to convey in a movie version. As an example, Count Fenring's congenital eunuchdom and Paul's realization that Fenring, had he not been born that way, might have been the Kwisatz Haderach...and Paul's further realization of the similarities he himself has to Fenring.

Kwisatz Haderach, btw, is an example of Herbert's mining actual human languages, especially Arabic, for his cosmos. No language invention for him a la Tolkein. The phrase is actually a   slightly distorted Hebrew phrase that means "shortening of the way" (Kitzur haDerech is the actual phrase.)

Cool detail.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 05:05:05 AM »
I also remember that Sting, riding high on his success with the Police, had announced that he would become an actor. His performance in Dune put an end to that conceit. So the film did have a purpose to serve.  :laugh:

Good
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 07:03:12 AM »
The worm riding is actually an important thing in Herbert's book (among other things, when Paul has to demonstrate that he can ride a worm, an important thing for the Fremen warrior culture, the worm that answers the thumper used to lure it turns out to be one of the biggest worms the Fremen have seen).

The most idiotic thing in that movie to me was the whirligig thing on which the Emperor and his staff seated themselves to watch the great battle at the end.

I have read the book three times, and each time my opinion of it has lessened.  Herbert indeed builds up a complex, well imagined world, but I think "deep psychological analysis", to use the phrase of a previous poster, is not accurate. The main characters are not two dimensional, but Herbert  doesn't exactly dive deeply into their psyches.

I never read any of the books, but after seeing the film I it never occurred to me that I would read them.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »
I never read any of the books, but after seeing the film I it never occurred to me that I would read them.
The first book is worth reading.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
The first book is worth reading.

Fantasy is not a genre that I have typically read. The only exceptions being the Lord of the Rings, and part of the Song of Fire and Ice. After watching the first season of Game of Thrones I started reading the volumes in parallel and I seem to have gotten through the third volume, which ballooned to well over 1000 pages. I found myself thinking that the TV adaption had improved on the novels by making the story more succinct. After finding out that the plan had expanded to seven volumes (presumably of more than 1000 pages each) I gave up hope and decided to just watch the television show. But now that they went past the novels and have clearly made a hash of the ending I'm tempted to go back to the books. But it seems like that won't work either, because with the series of books getting longer and longer with each volume it seems like with each passing year the number of pages until the books finish only increases. At this rate volume 7 may be 5000 pages, for all I know.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
Fantasy is not a genre that I have typically read. The only exceptions being the Lord of the Rings, and part of the Song of Fire and Ice. After watching the first season of Game of Thrones I started reading the volumes in parallel and I seem to have gotten through the third volume, which ballooned to well over 1000 pages. I found myself thinking that the TV adaption had improved on the novels by making the story more succinct. After finding out that the plan had expanded to seven volumes (presumably of more than 1000 pages each) I gave up hope and decided to just watch the television show. But now that they went past the novels and have clearly made a hash of the ending I'm tempted to go back to the books. But it seems like that won't work either, because with the series of books getting longer and longer with each volume it seems like with each passing year the number of pages until the books finish only increases. At this rate volume 7 may be 5000 pages, for all I know.

But this is another example of the first book being good and the rest being not so (in my opinion). Anyway, Dune is pretty good if it's of interest. But I didn't like what followed nearly as much.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 10:00:04 AM »

Interesting, I read Dune but once, and FWIW, I felt no impulse either to re-read it, nor to read any of the other books.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
Interesting, I read Dune but once, and FWIW, I felt no impulse either to re-read it, nor to read any of the other books.

I only read the original book, none of the sequels and prequels which it has spawned.