Author Topic: png merge, change format and then send to kindle.  (Read 67 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
png merge, change format and then send to kindle.
« on: September 21, 2018, 06:13:31 AM »
Someone has sent me a book I want to read in the form of 199 distinct png files. How can I turn it into a kindle book, or a googleplay book?

Windows 10
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Re: png merge, change format and then send to kindle.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 06:48:18 AM »
If you have adobe acrobat you can probably load it all and convert to a single pdf file, which a kindle can deal with. Maybe there are free programs that can do something similar. If you manage that, amazon provides an email address by which you can send content to your specific kindle device.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:52:13 AM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 06:55:32 AM »
I have a freeware program called "Not another PDF Scanner 2"

It's main function is as a "scan to pdf" program, but the especially nice thing about it is that it also will import graphics, including png, although I have only used jpg, and you can set them up on a storyboard and juggle them around, and finally save them to pdf. In particular, it has built-in OCR, so the pdf can be searched, and you can copy and paste out of it. I don't know how it would do with a 192 page book, you would have to try it and see, I guess...

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:04:59 AM »
I have a freeware program called "Not another PDF Scanner 2"

It's main function is as a "scan to pdf" program, but the especially nice thing about it is that it also will import graphics, including png, although I have only used jpg, and you can set them up on a storyboard and juggle them around, and finally save them to pdf. In particular, it has built-in OCR, so the pdf can be searched, and you can copy and paste out of it. I don't know how it would do with a 192 page book, you would have to try it and see, I guess...

8)

The problem is that when you save the images as a pdf it messes around the order. I can't work out why.

Windows has a choice in print to "save as pdf" which I guess "Not another PDF Scanner 2" is using because it behaves in the same way. I can't work out how the print command decides on the order of print.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
The problem is that when you save the images as a pdf it messes around the order. I can't work out why.

Windows has a choice in print to "save as pdf" which I guess "Not another PDF Scanner 2" is using because it behaves in the same way. I can't work out how the print command decides on the order of print.

No, I don't think it would be that, because that print option isn't available before Windows 10. (I use Win 7). The largest 'book' I have made was only about 16 pages and that didn't happen. Let me mess around with it and see if I can dupe your experience...

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:40:20 AM »
I don't know the program so I'm only speculating, but different programs can have a peculiar ways of "alphabetizing" things. Maybe it is loading the pages in some default order based on alphabetizing the filenames in an unexpected way? You could try regularizing the naming of the files. For instance, I am always careful to name sequences of files f01 f02 f03 f04 f05 f06 f07 f08 f09 f10, rather than f1, f2, f3, f4, f5, f6, f7, f8, f9, 10 so there is no ambiguity.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 08:41:41 AM »
You could try downloading a free 30 trial version of adobe acrobat...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »
I don't know the program so I'm only speculating, but different programs can have a peculiar ways of "alphabetizing" things. Maybe it is loading the pages in some default order based on alphabetizing the filenames in an unexpected way? You could try regularizing the naming of the files. For instance, I am always careful to name sequences of files f01 f02 f03 f04 f05 f06 f07 f08 f09 f10, rather than f1, f2, f3, f4, f5, f6, f7, f8, f9, 10 so there is no ambiguity.

Bingo. Thanks a lot everyone for helping. The book, by the way, is this