Author Topic: Feb. is "What the hell, I'll give it a try" month!  (Read 17608 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Feb. is "What the hell, I'll give it a try" month!
« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2013, 05:05:44 AM »
It's February: What the Hell! I'll try Corelli . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
I'm sort of surprised that when Mozart recommendations are being thrown, ye good ol' Eine kleine Nachtmusik never comes up. Is it just because of its obnoxiousity or is it considered a lesser work by people in the know?

Because even though it's been spoiled by over-usage, I still find it to be one of the most charming musical pieces ever written, perfectly representative of what Mozart (to me) is about.

Offline huntsman

Fritz Delius...for the month of April. (Ok, and May!)
« Reply #222 on: March 17, 2013, 03:55:03 AM »
I love that piece. Period.

;D
RAP - Add a C to improve it...

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #223 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10:49 AM »
One beautiful piece of music. Wish I'd written it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #224 on: March 17, 2013, 05:38:49 AM »
A string orchestra is okay, IMO, but I really prefer a small ensemble sound for this work.

Same here, although I have a very fond relationship with an old record by the Slovak Chamber Orchestra, which is as romanticized as you can get and it still works.

My current favourite is Hogwood with the AAM (that's the quintet arrangement if I remember correctly). I've yet to acquire the celebrated Manze, though. And thanks for the Amadeus Quartet tip, I'll definitely check it out.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2016, 06:00:26 AM »
I'm sort of surprised that when Mozart recommendations are being thrown, ye good ol' Eine kleine Nachtmusik never comes up. Is it just because of its obnoxiousity or is it considered a lesser work by people in the know?

Because even though it's been spoiled by over-usage, I still find it to be one of the most charming musical pieces ever written, perfectly representative of what Mozart (to me) is about.

It is both charming and representative of one side of Mozart. But it is also comparably lighweight, modest and because of its ubiquitious presence it seems precisely one of the pieces people who find Mozart shallow or boring have in mind.
It does hardly show the passionate, operatic side of Mozart that is present also in some instrumental pieces like the g minor symphony, nor the "intellectual" side of some string quartets, quintets, or the "Jupiter", nor the brilliant instrumentation for winds like in the "Gran partita" or the piano concertos K 482 and 491, nor the grand choral writing of the Requiem and c minor mass. As there are so many great works by Mozart, the Kleine Nachtmusik has to count as a lesser one (it even says so in the name!), despite its not unjustified popularity.

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
    7 piles of CDs--1) operas & choral works, 2) solo piano works, 3) orchestral works, 4) chamber music, 5) Beethoven symphonies, 6) Horowitz @ Carnegie hall box, 7) the BIG Toscanini RCA box. Cycling from one to another.
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2016, 10:21:12 PM »
NO! NO! ...please don't make me listen to Stockhausen!   Sarge

I agree, Sarge, and I would like to add Hans Werner Henze.  I went to a Friday matinee concert of the Chicago Symphony in the early 1970's in which Solti conducted Henze's Heliogabalus imperator.  It had been commissioned by the Chicago Symphony, and Solti had conducted the world premiere the night before.  People started leaving a few minutes in, and by the end, about 70% of the original audience had left, and the performance only received polite, tepid applause.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2016, 03:09:04 AM »
I agree, Sarge, and I would like to add Hans Werner Henze.  I went to a Friday matinee concert of the Chicago Symphony in the early 1970's in which Solti conducted Henze's Heliogabalus imperator.  It had been commissioned by the Chicago Symphony, and Solti had conducted the world premiere the night before.  People started leaving a few minutes in, and by the end, about 70% of the original audience had left, and the performance only received polite, tepid applause.

The audience reaction, alas, is not conclusive.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2016, 05:40:11 AM »

Still a better reception than the premiere of Bruckner's Third!

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
You'd have to offer me at least a small fortune to sit through the utterly revulsive damned Franck Violin Sonata... again.  Yeah, I've essayed it a number of times over many years, and it does not get any better.  It is the essence of truly obnoxious music.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2016, 08:24:04 AM »
You'd have to offer me at least a small fortune to sit through the utterly revulsive damned Franck Violin Sonata... again.  Yeah, I've essayed it a number of times over many years, and it does not get any better.  It is the essence of truly obnoxious music.

I'm having the devil of a time trying to raise money for that proposal.  Have you tried Kickstarter?

0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK