Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1831590 times)

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #21860 on: September 23, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »
I remember a couple of people here like that set, so that was probably you and perhaps Sarge?

Yes, me. I love Norrington's Stuttgart Haydn.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #21861 on: September 23, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »
Arcadelt

I listened to a few samples ,three different ensembles  makes it more attractive.The contribution of the Cappella Mediterranea I like  very  much.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:35:42 PM by Traverso »

Offline Ciaccona

• Currently Listening to:
    J.S. Bach & Others
« Reply #21862 on: September 23, 2018, 08:16:19 PM »
No problem. I would be interested in reading what you thought of the performances once you have had a chance to listen to them.

I should receive the items next week so I'll be sure to post what I think in the listening or one of the Bach threads. :)
"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well." - J.S. Bach

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #21863 on: September 23, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
ArkivMusic was having a Honeck/Pittsburgh sale. Have streamed both of these excellent recordings, but needed them for my home stereo system. As usual the Pittsburgh Horns are amazing, and there are moments in both finale's of the new Eroica, and the 7th where they play a lick or two that makes you wonder why other performances never emphasized those wonderful moments the same way. And as usual with Honeck's previous interpretations, I'm all in.   

Offline 2dogs

• Currently Listening to:
    Musique concrete & elektronische klang
« Reply #21864 on: September 24, 2018, 04:50:29 AM »
Not strictly purchases but I enjoyed the Harrison Birtwistle I previously downloaded from archive.org so have just got some more.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #21865 on: September 24, 2018, 06:14:51 AM »

Not your usual klezmer wedding or party music. This is mostly modern, not traditional stuff, with Osvaldo Golijov providing the main offering (a 35 minute, 4 movement work). It seems to be the 6th recording of it. It is in the form of a clarinet quintet - always an interesting combination.

The Musicweb review is quite positive.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/May/Klezmer_dreams_ACD22738.htm

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #21866 on: September 24, 2018, 06:49:53 AM »
J C Bach: Symphonies Concertantes Vol. 5 [Halstead]

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #21867 on: September 24, 2018, 08:06:51 AM »
ArkivMusic was having a Honeck/Pittsburgh sale. Have streamed both of these excellent recordings, but needed them for my home stereo system. As usual the Pittsburgh Horns are amazing, and there are moments in both finale's of the new Eroica, and the 7th where they play a lick or two that makes you wonder why other performances never emphasized those wonderful moments the same way. And as usual with Honeck's previous interpretations, I'm all in.   

[img

I listened to the samples available. Seems just about perfect. I've never heard better audio, perfect pacing, perfect control of balance and dynamics. But at least in the samples I did not hear anything that stuck me as a new insight. As if someone had a time machine and took a state-of-the art digital recording back to 1963 and snuck it into the Jesus-Christus-Kirche where Karajan was recording his cycle. What am I missing?

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #21868 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
Yes, me. I love Norrington's Stuttgart Haydn.

Sarge

As a Norrington admirer, have you ever heard his HIP Brahms recorded with EMI in the 1990s?

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #21869 on: September 24, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
I listened to the samples available. Seems just about perfect. I've never heard better audio, perfect pacing, perfect control of balance and dynamics. But at least in the samples I did not hear anything that stuck me as a new insight. As if someone had a time machine and took a state-of-the art digital recording back to 1963 and snuck it into the Jesus-Christus-Kirche where Karajan was recording his cycle. What am I missing?
There is a similarity! The differences are in the details - for instance, at the very end of the 7th's second movement, Honeck has the string section remain pizzicato all the way through; he does slightly slow down the 5th's great motto notes (the only choice I don't much like); the Eroica's finale has an unusually inflected "Hungarian dance" variation (until reading Honeck's notes I had no idea that was inspired by a Hungarian dance?!) led by clarinets and violas. Probably the best way to summarize it is that Honeck takes obsessive care over playing up certain details both of instrumental color and of rhythm, and then he writes booklet notes telling you where to listen for those choices.

In fact, Honeck might be my favorite booklet note writer active today and the books with each CD are almost as exciting to me as the performances. They convey both deep intelligence and a passion for the music, where most writers these days seem to choose one or the other, writing clinical dissertations or "poetic" fluff.