Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 5276470 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #100800 on: October 13, 2017, 05:43:18 AM »

Karel Ancerl leads a nice Introduzione that gets the night music feel right overall, but the sound is a bit off.  The flute sounds artificial, like it was boosted and/or re-EQd in the 'Gold' remastering process.  The strings have a bright, sharp edge to the playing that doesn't sound quite natural, either, though the screeching effect is not entirely unpleasant.  The somewhat leisurely Giuoco delle coppie starts off with a side drum that sounds like a good dollop of artificial reverb was added for impact, but otherwise unfolds with nice execution and a flowing sound.  The Elegia again does an excellent job bringing out the night music feel, and the tuttis are effective, if somewhat limited dynamically.  (Remastering can only do so much.)  The Intermezzo interrotto's initial melody sounds a bit tart but appealing, and the interruption is nicely done if a bit slow, while the Finale, a bit broad in overall timing, generates plenty of excitement in the faster passages and generally works very well.  The overprocessed and too bright remastered sound aside, this is an excellent recording.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #100801 on: October 13, 2017, 05:44:51 AM »
Schumann's pair of smaller works, supposedly for the ladies of Vienna to enjoy:

Arabeske, op.18 (Kempff)

Blumenstuck, op.19 (Ashkenazy)

Clearly, despite the discrepancies of gender and location, I have the right mindset to enjoy these lovely works.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:47:15 AM by ørfeo »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #100802 on: October 13, 2017, 06:16:20 AM »
How do you say a final goodbye to a pianist?

By playing Chopin at 1 am in the morning.

Polonaise-Fantaisie, op.61. I'm not sure how many pieces I will listen to after that before wearing myself out and going to bed. This one is making me cry a bit as it is.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Obradovic

Michel Plasson and the French Music (EMI)
« Reply #100803 on: October 13, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »
Casella, Symphony No.2

The influence of Mahler's 6th Finale in the 4th mov. of Casella's 2nd is striking

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #100804 on: October 13, 2017, 06:59:13 AM »
Respighi
Gli uccelli, P.154
Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields
Marriner
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #100805 on: October 13, 2017, 07:01:01 AM »
How do you say a final goodbye to a pianist?

By playing Chopin at 1 am in the morning.

Polonaise-Fantaisie, op.61. I'm not sure how many pieces I will listen to after that before wearing myself out and going to bed. This one is making me cry a bit as it is.

Knowing your listening habits, may I recommend you this 12-CD set?

Chopin's complete solo piano works played by Abdel Rahman el Bacha in chronological order, from the earliest Warsaw juvenilia (a Polonaise in g minor) to the very last Mazurka op. 68 No. 4 (left in manuscript).

Regele şi Patria!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #100806 on: October 13, 2017, 07:06:16 AM »

Karel Ancerl leads a nice Introduzione that gets the night music feel right overall, but the sound is a bit off.  The flute sounds artificial, like it was boosted and/or re-EQd in the 'Gold' remastering process.  The strings have a bright, sharp edge to the playing that doesn't sound quite natural, either, though the screeching effect is not entirely unpleasant.  The somewhat leisurely Giuoco delle coppie starts off with a side drum that sounds like a good dollop of artificial reverb was added for impact, but otherwise unfolds with nice execution and a flowing sound.  The Elegia again does an excellent job bringing out the night music feel, and the tuttis are effective, if somewhat limited dynamically.  (Remastering can only do so much.)  The Intermezzo interrotto's initial melody sounds a bit tart but appealing, and the interruption is nicely done if a bit slow, while the Finale, a bit broad in overall timing, generates plenty of excitement in the faster passages and generally works very well.  The overprocessed and too bright remastered sound aside, this is an excellent recording.
I think everyone has a certain type of "bad" old recording that they irrationally love the sound of. Whether it's the popping of a poorly-kempt record, or a certain tape hiss that makes you happy, or Solti/Chicago engineering, or whatever, something that you know is just Not Right but your ears love anyway. For me it's the stereo 50s Ancerl Gold stuff...I know it ain't right, but boy, I'd listen to just about anything if it sounded like Ancerl and the CZPO recorded it in somebody's marble bathroom.

Offline Biffo

« Reply #100807 on: October 13, 2017, 07:09:18 AM »
Vaughan Williams: Sinfonia antartica - Bergen Philharminic Orchestra & Choir conducted by Sir Andrew Davis with Mari Eriksmoen (soprano). A new arrival today. Magnificent performance and sound - the climax in the 3rd movement is shattering.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #100808 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
I like Khatchaturian at his best;but I remember being disappointed by Spartacus as a youngster. I've always liked the very brief excerpts recorded by the composer. Unfortunately,the rest of the score just seems horrible uneven. But then again! Case in point. The following cd,for example. I keep thinking of taking it to a charity shop;but then I put it on and I start enjoying it. I do think it works better in the form of these suites. Some of the scoring is,quite simply,delectable. The use of pianos,for example. I used to have the complete emi/Melodiya account on 3 Lp's. I think I wore it out,picking the needle up and putting it down on the 'good bits'. The selection here is just about right. It's well played;and the sound quality is up to the usual Chandos standard!  Although,I can imagine a more fiery interpretation (and I've heard them!). The Kakhidze recording of Gayane blew my mind (as they say) when I finally heard it;after being brought up,as a youngster,on the supposedly 'complete' Tjeknavorian RCA recording,which is very well played,but,after you hear Kakhidze,it suddenly seems horribly tame by comparison!

I've been listening for a while,now. I may think about taking it to a charity shop,again,sooner or later.......but it's probably here to stay!! ::) ;D

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #100809 on: October 13, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
For me it's the stereo 50s Ancerl Gold stuff

I very much like Ancerl's recordings, but I'm not a fan of the Gold series remasterings.  The Dante transfers done a few years before the Supraphon Gold remasterings sound superior.  This series, along with some Decca Legends releases, disabused me of the notion that newer remasterings always sound better.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #100810 on: October 13, 2017, 07:54:38 AM »
Enough of Spartacus! ;D Although,I did actually enjoy those Suites! Back to Purcell,and cd 2 of this set. Although,I'm actually playing cdr-s,not this! My s/h copy smelt like an ashtray and had to be sent back. This means I don't have to listen to The Indian Queen (I left it out!) which is the only Purcell,I've heard to date,that I didn't like that much! (Not that I hate it!). I will then progress to a more up to date recording. I like this one for the quality of the singing,however!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #100811 on: October 13, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
SQ3 from this recording:

"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #100812 on: October 13, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »

Second listen, this time through cans.  As through speakers, the dynamic range is outstanding, and almost realistic.  I love Add-ons.  I may have to explore more from Ms Degand, too.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #100813 on: October 13, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »
First relisten to this in about 8 years:

Wow, I remember how bad this orchestra is (those poor trumpets in the third movement are just pitiful, as is the violin section), but I forgot how awful this music is. Going onto the "never again" pile, especially the cheeseball Russian schlock. Just abysmal.

EDIT: Oh and there's a cello solo early in the symphony that's maybe one of the ugliest things ever recorded. (Largely performer's fault.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:19:09 AM by Brian »

Parsifal

« Reply #100814 on: October 13, 2017, 08:17:06 AM »
Never heard that recording, but I recall finding the Hyperion recordings of Bantock to be enjoyable.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #100815 on: October 13, 2017, 08:20:32 AM »
First relisten to this in about 8 years:

Wow, I remember how bad this orchestra is (those poor trumpets in the third movement are just pitiful, as is the violin section), but I forgot how awful this music is. Going onto the "never again” pile, especially the cheeseball Russian schlock. Just abysmal.

To the bolded text, pretty much how I feel about Milhaud. :P
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Parsifal

« Reply #100816 on: October 13, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »
Listened to this disc for a second evening, the concerto No 2.

I'm new to this concerto, and after a second listen the first and third movements have made an impression. The middle, slow, movement defies comprehension, at this point. The soloist is outstanding, the orchestra seems a bit unfocused. I have a Kremer/Boulez recording, perhaps I will give that a spin next. (Originally I was going to listen to a Mutter/Ozawa recording that I had, but the disc turned out to be defective.)

Parsifal

« Reply #100817 on: October 13, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
To the bolded text, pretty much how I feel about Milhaud. :P

Reminds me of what you used to say about Schnittke.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #100818 on: October 13, 2017, 08:23:57 AM »
Listened to this disc for a second evening, the concerto No 2.

I'm new to this concerto, and after a second listen the first and third movements have made an impression. The middle, slow, movement defies comprehension, at this point. The soloist is outstanding, the orchestra seems a bit unfocused. I have a Kremer/Boulez recording, perhaps I will give that a spin next. (Originally I was going to listen to a Mutter/Ozawa recording that I had, but the disc turned out to be defective.)

Surely, you mean Shaham/Boulez, Scarpia? Kremer and Boulez did indeed record Bartok’s VC, but only the 1st, not the 2nd.

Parsifal

« Reply #100819 on: October 13, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »
Surely, you mean Shaham/Boulez, Scarpia? Kremer and Boulez did indeed record Bartok’s VC, but only the 1st, not the 2nd.

Correct! It's in one of those big boxed sets so it's challenging to keep track of who plays what.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:30:45 AM by Scarpia »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK