Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 5079561 times)

Spineur, Scarpia (+ 2 Hidden) and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #103120 on: November 11, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
I seem to have a general problem with Challenge Classics in terms of audio quality. I have a box set of Weinberg’s violin sonatas and wasn’t thrilled by audio of that set. Quite a dry acoustic.

I like the sound in some of their other violin concerto recordings.

Here's the Musicweb review of the Lamsma Shostakovich VC1:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Nov/Shostakovich_VC1_CC72681.htm

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #103121 on: November 11, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »
I like the sound in some of their other violin concerto recordings.

Here's the Musicweb review of the Lamsma Shostakovich VC1:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Nov/Shostakovich_VC1_CC72681.htm

I’ll check out that review. Thanks, Daverz.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #103122 on: November 11, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Familiar. And yet, not so.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Oz5PbcpghY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3Oz5PbcpghY</a>

Bravo! Especially about the 4 and a half minutes mark, where you start to lose sight of the Beethoven.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Tulse

« Reply #103123 on: November 11, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »
Kourliandski and Dorokhov, but I have also seen a 3 (or 2?) CD set somewhere featuring a bunch of contemporary Russian music

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #103124 on: November 11, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »
I think these recent Philips and DG pressings derive from digital copies of the analog master tapes, which accounts for the slightly thin sound, but this one certainly sounds quite good, and Brendel’s playing is superb.

"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Offline Tulse

« Reply #103125 on: November 11, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »

STOCKHAUSEN:

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #103126 on: November 11, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »

Disc 3. This is a repackaging of the famous Vega recital under basque conductor Jesus Etcheverry. The voice is in perfect shape. The arias from La reine de Saba, Sapho and Sigurd are magnificent. What incredible diction !

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #103127 on: November 11, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »
Bravo! Especially about the 4 and a half minutes mark, where you start to lose sight of the Beethoven.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #103128 on: November 11, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »

Disc 3. This is a repackaging of the famous Vega recital under basque conductor Jesus Etcheverry. The voice is in perfect shape. The arias from La reine de Saba, Sapho and Sigurd are magnificent. What incredible diction !

This one ?  Yes it is a great album - Sonia Yoncheva tried to do a remake (Paris mon amour !) but I clearly prefer the original.  Régine Crespin nuits d'été with Ansermet conducting are also magical.  And her recording of the Dialogues des Carmélites.  I have also a Wagner album (not at her best), and a Verdi one (very enjoyable).
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #103129 on: November 11, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
Revisiting Othmar Schoeck's Penthesilea after many, many years:

Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #103130 on: November 11, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
Walton: Sinfonia Concertante with Piano
Kathryn Stott, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Handley

Schumann: Symphony No. 4 in D minor (Revised Version)
Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique, cond. Gardiner

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #103131 on: November 11, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
Excellent! How’s that Martinů performance with Sol Gabetta?
Gotta listen again, got derailed and then had to leave (cathing another Jacques Tourneur movie - great stuff) ...

May I ask, what do you - in broad terms - think of the trip to India?
Wasn't my first trip, I was on my own, only in the south (or: the south of the south): flight to Bangalore, moving on fast to Mysore, then Cochin, Kanyakumari (I should've skipped, but again I was semi-aware and only stayed for one night), Madurai, Tanjavore, Pondicherry and then Chennai (where I have family ... that is very close and dear friends that feel like family). I enjoyed it a lot, but it's exhausting, it's sometimes hard to take, there's no such thing as privacy (unless you can recluse yourself by shutting a door - as a concept it does simply not exist), there's no such thing as politeness (no one says thank you for anything, they will walk right through the middle or a few people talking, even though there'd be ample space to walk around the group), yet they're an extremely friendly bunch and things are most relaxed. But that I was traveling alone they'd generally not understand (it's not fun, you have to be with your friends and family ... and that's how Indians travel, and you get to hear and see it in hotels, they spread over several rooms filled with extra-beds, slam dors, run around, order their food to the rooms, watch tv constantly and only on maximum volume ... so better don't expect any quietness except maybe from midnight to five a.m. when outside traffic starts or the first muezzin around the corner gets going).

I visited a large bunch of temples, did plenty of reading (a rather extensive history of India plus several novels by Indian writers, all written in English), visited some other special places (palaces etc.), some museums etc., had the shits (part of it, shouldn't have eaten that chicken one night, I guess), had plenty of odd encounters (prob. could have gotten married a few times, too ... to an impressive member of the third gender as well as to some girl sitting around with her dad in the amazing big temple in Madurai ...).

It will get too much at one point, I guess, for anybody, but it's such an amazing country (and contrary to Pakistan it's a functioning democracy, all things considered, though I'm not sure how much I like the tranquilizing influence of North-Indian brahmin Hinduism ... on the other hand there are comparatively few social tensions and thus the country is at peace, except for some regions in the far North, most notoriously Kashmir of course - and that it somehow does work, why condemn that? But there remains a lot to be done, and I guess the tempo things are being done at is very slow, frustratingly slow often (and electing the BJP fearmongers will not really help, their economic success seems to be at least partly just twitching numbers and statistics the right way 'round) - but again, who am I to judge?

Either way, I guess I'll go again and I hope it won't be as long as since my previous visit (which took place in 1999).

Do we have a thread for this kind of discussion? It really is off-topic here (and since I'm playing jazz right now, I can't even add an on-topic coda).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Malx

« Reply #103132 on: November 11, 2017, 01:43:40 PM »
Brahms, Sonatas for Piano & Viola - Yuri Bashmet & Mikhail Muntian.

Much as I enjoy Brahm's symphonic works I'm beginning to think of Brahms more as a fine chamber composer.

I am alone in this way of thinking?

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #103133 on: November 11, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »
This one ?  Yes it is a great album - Sonia Yoncheva tried to do a remake (Paris mon amour !) but I clearly prefer the original.  Régine Crespin nuits d'été with Ansermet conducting are also magical.  And her recording of the Dialogues des Carmélites.  I have also a Wagner album (not at her best), and a Verdi one (very enjoyable).

Yes, it’s that one (also available somewhere else with additional material). I believe all those you mention are included in this box. Except of course the Carmélites, which is of course still available (I think it’s never been out of the catalogue since it wwas issued almost 60 years ago).

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #103134 on: November 11, 2017, 02:06:01 PM »
Brahms, Sonatas for Piano & Viola - Yuri Bashmet & Mikhail Muntian.

Much as I enjoy Brahm's symphonic works I'm beginning to think of Brahms more as a fine chamber composer.

I am alone in this way of thinking?
Most certainly not. The viola sonatas are of course arrangements of the clarinet sonatas - very fine works indeed.

Thread-duty - I've been spending tonight with Papa

Haydn
Keyboard Trios Hob. XV:6-10
Trio 1790

Symphonies nos. 54-57, 60 & 64
The Academy of Ancient Music
Hogwood

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #103135 on: November 11, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #103136 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
Gotta listen again, got derailed and then had to leave (cathing another Jacques Tourneur movie - great stuff) ...
Wasn't my first trip, I was on my own, only in the south (or: the south of the south): flight to Bangalore, moving on fast to Mysore, then Cochin, Kanyakumari (I should've skipped, but again I was semi-aware and only stayed for one night), Madurai, Tanjavore, Pondicherry and then Chennai (where I have family ... that is very close and dear friends that feel like family). I enjoyed it a lot, but it's exhausting, it's sometimes hard to take, there's no such thing as privacy (unless you can recluse yourself by shutting a door - as a concept it does simply not exist), there's no such thing as politeness (no one says thank you for anything, they will walk right through the middle or a few people talking, even though there'd be ample space to walk around the group), yet they're an extremely friendly bunch and things are most relaxed. But that I was traveling alone they'd generally not understand (it's not fun, you have to be with your friends and family ... and that's how Indians travel, and you get to hear and see it in hotels, they spread over several rooms filled with extra-beds, slam dors, run around, order their food to the rooms, watch tv constantly and only on maximum volume ... so better don't expect any quietness except maybe from midnight to five a.m. when outside traffic starts or the first muezzin around the corner gets going).

I visited a large bunch of temples, did plenty of reading (a rather extensive history of India plus several novels by Indian writers, all written in English), visited some other special places (palaces etc.), some museums etc., had the shits (part of it, shouldn't have eaten that chicken one night, I guess), had plenty of odd encounters (prob. could have gotten married a few times, too ... to an impressive member of the third gender as well as to some girl sitting around with her dad in the amazing big temple in Madurai ...).

It will get too much at one point, I guess, for anybody, but it's such an amazing country (and contrary to Pakistan it's a functioning democracy, all things considered, though I'm not sure how much I like the tranquilizing influence of North-Indian brahmin Hinduism ... on the other hand there are comparatively few social tensions and thus the country is at peace, except for some regions in the far North, most notoriously Kashmir of course - and that it somehow does work, why condemn that? But there remains a lot to be done, and I guess the tempo things are being done at is very slow, frustratingly slow often (and electing the BJP fearmongers will not really help, their economic success seems to be at least partly just twitching numbers and statistics the right way 'round) - but again, who am I to judge?

Either way, I guess I'll go again and I hope it won't be as long as since my previous visit (which took place in 1999).

Do we have a thread for this kind of discussion? It really is off-topic here (and since I'm playing jazz right now, I can't even add an on-topic coda).

Thank you for a nice and interesting post, I know a couple of people who have been there, including one who visited several yoga schools, the Goa area being an obvious example, and became a teacher in that field up here. He prefers the south and calls it more relaxed, but I don't know ...
India does seem to become an acquired taste for many and to be an unusually impressive and moving experience for almost all people who go there. I might visit it one day.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:45:03 PM by Turner »

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #103137 on: November 11, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »
I started with record 1 of this 3LP set: Sonata No.3 and 32 Variations. Magnificent playing. I originally bought this as a hi-res download, but I was curious to hear a recent DG LP. No question that the LP sounds better: more presence, body, and air.

"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Offline LKB

something between my ears
« Reply #103138 on: November 11, 2017, 02:30:46 PM »
Familiar. And yet, not so.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Oz5PbcpghY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3Oz5PbcpghY</a>

Kyma?,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline Le Moderniste

• Birthdate: Year (YYYY) - Month (MM) - Day (DD)
« Reply #103139 on: November 11, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »
Just finished a first spin of this intriguing set:

I remember liking that quite quite a bit

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK