Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 6755030 times)

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
  • Currently Listening to:
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #104000 on: December 07, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »

Online LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #104001 on: December 07, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
Dona nobis pacem:

MI, thanks for the feedback, I'll be looking up that recording of OWE.  8)

Dona Nobis Pacem was the first major choral work by RVW which l performed, back in the Jurassic Period. I haven't heard the Hickox recording so I'm also curious as to your reaction to this one, as well as Sancta Civitas whenever you get to it.

Thanks,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #104002 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:25 PM »
On Thursday, December 7, 2017 and into the wee hours of December 8, I listened to the following:

Scriabin:  9 Mazsurkas, Op.25 (1898-9) (35'03)  |2 Preludes, Op. 27 (1900) (2'42)  |Fantasie in B Minor, Op. 28 (1900) (9'36)  |Piano Sonata 4 in F# Minor, Op. 30 (1903) (8'09)  |4 Preludes, Op. 31 (1903) (4'57)  |2 Poemes, Op. 32 (1903) (4'29)  |4 Preludes, Op. 33 (1903) (4'11)  |Poeme tragique, Op. 34 (1903) (3'06)  |3 Preludes, Op. 35 (1903) (4'19)--Gordon Fergus-Jenkins (Op 25, 27, 31, 33, 35), Sviatoslav Richter (op. 28), Vladimir Ashkenazy (Op. 30, 32), Jean Louis Steuerman (Op. 34).  CD 5 in the DECCA 18 CD set of Scriabin's complete works.  Recorded 1975-2000 in England, Switzerland, and The Netherlands.

Prokofiev: The Gambler, opera in 4 acts, Op. 24, libretto by Prokofiev after Fyodor Dostoyevsky's "The Gambler."  CDs 6-7 of the 13 CD set of 6 Prokofiev operas--Valery Gergiev, cond., Kirov Opera and Mariinsky Theater Orchestra.  This is a morality parable of an opera.

Zoltan Kodaly (1882-1967): Dances of Marosszek (13'34)  |Dances of Galanta (15'00)  |Hary Janos Suite, Op. 15 (22'05)--Ferenc Fricsay, cond., Berlin RSO.  MONO, recorded 1955-6.  CD 26 of the 45 CD set of the complete orchestral recordings of Fricsay for DGG.

Shostakovich: Symphony 10 in E Minor, Op. 93 (1953) (50'40)--Eugene Ormandy, cond. Philadelphia Orch., rec. 1963.  Shostakovich completed work on this symphony on my 11th birthday, October 25, 1953.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:02:51 PM by RebLem »
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #104003 on: December 08, 2017, 01:31:15 AM »
Continuing my traversal of the Milhaud symphonies. Its the turn of Symphony No. 4, op. 281.

From the complete set:

Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mozart painted by Jean-Baptiste Greuze, 1763-64
« Reply #104004 on: December 08, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »

Note to mc ukrneal: for your consideration.   :laugh:
The golden mean, the truth, is no longer recognized or valued. To win applause one must write stuff so simple that a coachman might sing it, or so incomprehensible that it pleases simply because no sensible man can comprehend it. - Mozart

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #104005 on: December 08, 2017, 02:02:58 AM »
And now, I'll tackle (for the first time) Lucia Dlugoszewski's Fire Fragile Flight (hat tip to Turner), preceded by Pierre Boulez's Éclat and Henri Pousseur's Trois chants sacrés, from CD2 of this set:

Ritter
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #104006 on: December 08, 2017, 02:40:32 AM »
Some Sylvano Bussotti:

Gramophone reviewer Philip Clark writes: "Essentially, Bussotti's Il catalogo è questo drove me nuts. But the more it drove me nuts, the more I kept listening".  ;) That's a way of putting it...I actually find this outlandish music quite fascinating.
Ritter

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #104007 on: December 08, 2017, 02:51:19 AM »
G'day, Rafael! I guess I'll have to look into Bussotti. . .

Thread duty
Haydn
Symphony no. 78 in c minor (1782)
Accademia Bizantina
Dantone

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #104008 on: December 08, 2017, 03:06:40 AM »
G'day, Rafael! I guess I'll have to look into Bussotti. . .

Thread duty
Haydn
Symphony no. 78 in c minor (1782)
Accademia Bizantina
Dantone

Good day, Karlo! Well, Haydn ain't half bad either  ;)
Ritter

Offline Pjotr

• Veteran member
« Reply #104009 on: December 08, 2017, 03:19:54 AM »
Nice music partly well performed, but in the end disappointing.
Disc 8 of this set.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/12/viotti-giovanni-battista-1755-1824.html?spref=tw

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #104010 on: December 08, 2017, 03:24:43 AM »
Good day, Karlo! Well, Haydn ain't half bad either  ;)
He certainly isn't.  8)

Haydn
Symphony No. 79 in F major (1784)
Accademia Bizantina
Dantone
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Turbot nouveaux

« Reply #104011 on: December 08, 2017, 03:27:57 AM »

Quartet No.6 in Eb

I'm not sure if I've actually heard this quartet before. The first movement, in particular, is beautiful.

I was really taken with that Naxos cycle with the Amar Quartet, amw - it is my 'go to' recording of Hindemith's quartets, and the only recording I have managed to get of that quartet, the 6th in Eb.

~~~~~~

Thread duty:

Prokofiev
Sonata for Piano no 6 in A major, Op. 82
Sonata for Piano no 7 in B flat major, Op. 83
Sonata for Piano no 8 in B flat major, Op. 84
Sonata for Piano no 9 in C major, Op. 103
Visions fugitives, Op. 22
10 Pieces for piano from "Romeo and Juliet", Op. 75
Sarcasms, Op. 17
Tales of an Old Grandmother, Op. 31
Etudes for Piano, Op. 2
Toccata for Piano in D minor, Op. 11
Matti Raekallio [Ondine, 2011]

The other three discs in this 4-disc box set were every bit as satisfying as the first - a really good collection. My introduction, sonata #6 apart, to Prokofiev's solo piano oeuvre.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #104012 on: December 08, 2017, 03:38:02 AM »

These two sonatas went straight to my heart, but by different routes.

Kalkbrenner, the consummate Parisian socialite, the darling of the jeunes filles en fleur, so many of whom were his pupils, conjured up all the sentimental elegance and poised grace of the salons where he played, while Thalberg, ever the cool-but-by-no-means-cold aristocrat, took the concert hall by storm not by any bodily Lisztian acrobacy (Schumann himself wrote something to the effect that if one closed his eyes when listening to Liszt, the magic would instantly disappear; and contrary to received wisdom, Thalberg actually won the duel with the latter) but by evoking wild fantasies, pastoral dreams and consumming passions, all while keeping the melody afloat and the demeanor calm.

Hat tip to Adrian Ruiz for deftly adapting his play to fit in each soundworld. The sound is good if not ideal (on headphones there's a bit of reverberance; on loudspeakers it's imperceptible). No fan or Romantic piano music should be without this disc.
The golden mean, the truth, is no longer recognized or valued. To win applause one must write stuff so simple that a coachman might sing it, or so incomprehensible that it pleases simply because no sensible man can comprehend it. - Mozart

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #104013 on: December 08, 2017, 03:57:04 AM »

Too busy for regular postings these days I'm afraid ... right now, repeating (as far as the symphony - rec. 2015 - goes) this one, and listening with attention for the first time - only to realise that the impression I had so far - that it's not very good - gets stronger. I'm afraid Hurwitz has a point here. Also, the choral works following have been previously released on a disc with more of the same (rec. 2011), these will be a first once the symphony has been waited/seated through.

In other news, heard Regula Mühlemann in concert Tuesday night, with Capella Gabetta backing her - it was good, her voice is amazing and it seems she really is taking care of it, of not being wasted and exhausted by repertoire not suiting her. In the first aria (one from "Messiah" - too much superficially x-mas-season-suited stuff in the programme for my likings) she seemed to struggle a wee bit with intonation here and there, but once she was into it (more Händel arias, and at the very end totally gorgeous singing in Mozart's "Exsultate, jubilate" - the orchestra did some Hasse and Gluck and Andrés Gabetta did a Vivaldi concerto, and together with the leader of the second violins a Zavateri one for two violins - nice enough but nothing really great I found). Either way, the interim Tonhalle Maag works for period ensemble (the old Tonhalle does not really), which is good to know. The audience seemed to be there more for social reasons than for the music, which is never something I enjoy, of course. And despite of the many socialites checking out the new sensation from the nearby countryside, the hall was far from full. Applause was bigger than it would have been if it were my call, Mühlemann was fine but not outstanding, the ensemble was somewhat less (both in musical choices and in execution - the hall is really unforgiving, and from my front row seat I could hear every small flub and there were some here and there, also on-going tuning issues, although they - sloppily - retuned several times in both parts of the concert).

Other than that, what is to report, except for tons of new CDs and me going through them slowly? Some stuff that was in the player in the past days includes these:

I guess the winners so far are Stutzmann and Crebassa. The Devieilhe probably fails due to my extremely high expectations (looking at it from that angle, her Mozart failed, too - the Rameau disc is just so amazing!), but together with the Mields/Perl and the Bartoli/Gabetta (some really good stuff on it I found, but not captivating really, at album lenght) needs another spin soon. The Demenga seems to be very good, the liners explain his approach of the pieces from a dance perspective and that indeed makes perfect sense when listening. The Dantone is most enjoyable (in fact I just bought a ticket for a concert of his band in March, with singer Delphine Gallou, again at Tonhalle Maag).

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Spineur

« Reply #104014 on: December 08, 2017, 04:04:56 AM »
For me it is just the Stutzmann disc, which actually made my 2017 bestof.  What Sabine Devieilhe tries to do in that disc does not suit her at this point of her carrier.  It was probably a good experience for her but not so much for us.  I never warmed up to Marianne Crebassa voice, and the duo Gabetta/Bartoldi is quite avoidable IMO.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #104015 on: December 08, 2017, 04:13:43 AM »

Superb on all counts.

Spineur

« Reply #104016 on: December 08, 2017, 04:25:50 AM »
Franck string quartet in D

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #104017 on: December 08, 2017, 04:28:11 AM »

Looks like it's only available on LP though...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #104018 on: December 08, 2017, 04:40:28 AM »
Looks like it's only available on LP though...

YHM.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #104019 on: December 08, 2017, 05:01:17 AM »
For me it is just the Stutzmann disc, which actually made my 2017 bestof.  What Sabine Devieilhe tries to do in that disc does not suit her at this point of her carrier.  It was probably a good experience for her but not so much for us.  I never warmed up to Marianne Crebassa voice, and the duo Gabetta/Bartoldi is quite avoidable IMO.

I like Crebassa's voice a lot, so that's easy  ;)

But you may be right about Devieilhe. Looking forward though to hearing her on stage, in/as "La Fille du régiment", not a full production, just a concertante staging (however that's really called in English, wouldn't know). I love the voice of Dorothee Mields, but Händel does not seem her perfect foil. However, I want to check it out again soon. Others I've recently listened to a couple of times are the Stradella disc by Chantal Santon Jeffery and the mixed programme titled "Anime Amanti" by Roberta Mameli. The later is probably on the cool side, for both singing and production, but I like both of them Now giving the first spin to another duo with Luca Pianca on lute (he's the accompanist on the Mameli disc, too) that the postman just brought:

Now this is French, but that does not necessarily entail more warmth of course, but production and voice are just that, compared to the Mameli disc - and it starts out totally lovely! Music is by: Michel Lambert, Gabriel Bataille, Lully, Lambert/Lully, Robert Ballard, Jacques Bittner, Etienne Moulinié, François Richard and Antoine de Boësset.

Btw, top ranking of 2017's new vocal discs here still goes to Ann Hallenberg's "Carnevale 1729" (il pomo d'oro/Stefano Montanari), next up is "Visions" by Véronique Gens, followed then by the recent two fuga libera discs (Sarah Laulan's "Les Blasphèmes: Mélodies Fin-de-siècle" and Lore Binon/Inge Spinette with "Les poètes maudits") and then Regula Mühlemann's Cleopatra disc.

A good year, as far as vocal albums are concerned, that's for sure!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/