Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 6765954 times)

(: premont :), pi2000 and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Spineur

Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #108020 on: February 01, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »
It is always a pleasure to come back to this very intelligently composed CD by Anna Prohaska on war-time songs & melodies

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #108021 on: February 01, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »
Vivaldi: Dresden Sonatas (Biondi, Naddeo, Alessandrini on Naïve). Excellent disc. Biondi is really fantastic.

Offline Draško

« Reply #108022 on: February 01, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »

Spineur

« Reply #108023 on: February 01, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
The Jean-Marie Leclair violin sonatas were just mentionned in the upcoming release thread.  I just thought of this CD, a 15 yo present by a dear friend.  Leclair was a violin virtuoso, some sort of Paganini before his time.  This unaccompanied sonatas for two violins are here played by John Holloway and Chiara Bianchini who really sound like violin lovebirds

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #108024 on: February 01, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
Caspar Diethelm, Symphony No. 1.  Very Hindemithian, nothing very original, but very good of its kind.  Thumbs up for symphony fanciers.

I saw that was nominated for Recording of the Month over at MusicWeb International - sounds very interesting. I had never heard of Diethelm before!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #108025 on: February 01, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
Saint-Saens (rarely performed) cello sonatas.  Lovely slow movements.

Saint-Saëns' cello sonatas are so underrated, especially the stormy, passionate 1st. The 2nd hasn't quite grown on me yet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #108026 on: February 01, 2018, 11:04:39 AM »
Дмитрий Дмитриевич [ Dmitri Dmitriyevich (Shostakovich) ]
Симфония № 1 фа минор, соч. 10 [ Symphony № 1 in f minor, Opus 10 ] (1924-25)
Prague Symphony
Максим Дмитриевич [ Maksim Dmitriyevich (Shostakovich) ]

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spineur

« Reply #108027 on: February 01, 2018, 11:11:09 AM »
Saint-Saëns' cello sonatas are so underrated, especially the stormy, passionate 1st. The 2nd hasn't quite grown on me yet.
I agree with you.  The first sonata is just wonderful.  The second has less personnality (originality if you prefer).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #108028 on: February 01, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
I agree with you.  The first sonata is just wonderful.  The second has less personnality (originality if you prefer).

Yeah, unusually for Saint-Saëns, the 2nd seems kinda "anonymous" to me.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #108029 on: February 01, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
A friend turned me on to Leopold Ludwig/LSO on Everest and it's become one of my favorite recordings.  I got it as a 24/96 download, but I don't remember the price being as ridiculous as it's gotten on HDTracks.

Thanks for the hint !

The Ludwig/LSO version of Mahler 9 is a big favourite of mine. Sort of the « glass of cool water » Sibelius advocated.

Spineur

« Reply #108030 on: February 01, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »
La Venexiana, L'arte del madrigale came in today

Starting with Giaches de Wert: La Gerusalemme Liberata

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #108031 on: February 01, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »

I'm afraid I fail to catch the humor of the title... (unless it's Monty Pythonesque humor), for lack of my French.

Is it the juxtaposition of the seemingly serious "Twelve contemplations / aspects of..." with the naivete of a popular Children's song (one that Debussy evidently liked) "No more Forest-rummaging! [roughly]" ... with the nonsensical "because... " and here my rudimentary French fails me: Because it's dreadful there? Because it's an inopportune time? In any case, I don't quite get it. Help! Once you've solved that for me, I'll listen again.

Well, yes, Nous n’rons plus au bois (“We won’t go to the woods anymore”) is a simple 18th century children’s song that more or less obsessed Debussy, and he composed four pieces quoting or expanding iit. The earliest is the song La belle au bois dormant (from the early 1890s), then the third of the Images oblieés, followed by Jardins sous la pluie from Estampes, and finally Rondes de printemps from the Images pour orchestre (1995-09). The “quelques aspects” bit gives the title a certain tinge of intellectual gravity, which is then belied  by the explanation that we’re not going to the woods because the weather is dreadful. So I see this as some kind of joke. The music itself, although less polished than that of the third of the Estampes, is also “humorous” to my ears, as at the beginning (a sort of perpetuum mobile) it’s difficult not to imagine people running to escape the rain. But apart from that, the Nous n’rons...theme is repeated so insistently, be it in the frenzied beginning or the calmer middle section, that Debussy seems to be having some good-hearted fun with it (and with us, the listeners).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:38:51 PM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #108032 on: February 01, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »

Coincidentally, yesterday I was looking at a bio of Jurinac (Donna Elvira in the Moralt Don Giovanni I’m planning to purchase) and noticed she was born in Travnik, the setting of one of Ivo Andric’s best novels, Travnička hronika.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #108033 on: February 01, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
I have an upcoming concert conducted by Davis and with Skelton as Gerontius, so I may as well prepare for that by listening to their recording and learning my part:

I’m interested to know your opinion of this version, Jessop, and do tell us how the concert went, too !

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #108034 on: February 01, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »
La Venexiana, L'arte del madrigale came in today

Starting with Giaches de Wert: La Gerusalemme Liberata

Great disc, excellent set; I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, Spineur!

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #108035 on: February 01, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »
Coincidentally, yesterday I was looking at a bio of Jurinac (Donna Elvira in the Moralt Don Giovanni I’m planning to purchase) ....
If it’s of any help, that Moralt Don Giovanni almost made it to my “Top 5 purchases of 2016” list:

Honorable mention:

Don Giovanni in the grand old manner...an enthralling performance with excellent solosists!

Cheers,
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #108036 on: February 01, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »
I received this Japanese SACD today. Whoa--it sounds amazing. So dynamic and clear. The performance is stellar, too!

"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #108037 on: February 01, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
Grisey
Les Espaces Acoustiques

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/76Z7L57u_0s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/76Z7L57u_0s</a>
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #108038 on: February 01, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
Beethoven: Cello Sonata No.5

Last listen to the work: 12 September 2013
Last listen to this performance: 19 April 2010
Last time I reflected on the size and scope of my music collection: It can't have been more than 24 hours
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!