Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 6542278 times)

jessop, North Star and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
  • Currently Listening to:
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #108800 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:27 PM »

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #108801 on: February 13, 2018, 11:48:28 PM »
Thank you!

It's one of the most beautiful performances I've heard, most likely the best sung. But it's also very, very, very, very slow. I think they manage to pull it off, through sheer beauty of singing but it probably won't be to all tastes. Also their choice of very little ornamentation might not gel with some. Not to go in too many detail I think Johan van Veen's review on musica-dei-donum is spot on:
http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/PanClassics_PC10371_BC_95188_Alpha_705_Coro_COR16126_Glossa_GCD922807.html

I was also very curious about your impressions !  :)

I feel an authentic Italian(ate) approach works best.
Which applies to the Alessandrini I have (as if I heard the work the 1st time, and definitely the 1st it "clicked". And probably also to Garrido, who is a natural in Monteverdi...

And now there is this recording to consider.... I note your reservations and those by Johan van Veen.
From his horrible Dufay recordings  (tastes differ...  ::)), I know that Maletto takes whatever liberties he feels are right, which makes me cautious. On the other hand, Monteverdi is closer to home.

Time to give it a listen.  :)

Q
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:59:14 PM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #108802 on: February 14, 2018, 12:05:41 AM »
Speaking of Alessandrini:

Continuation....

I might get rid of my Frescobaldi set by Lorregian (Brilliant). Which is a actually quite good...
But I guess not good enough, since I never listen to it.... ::)
It just doesn't draw me in as the few handpicked top performances, like this one, do.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #108803 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:47 AM »
On Tuesday, 13 FEB 2018, I listened to some music online and to 1 CD.

One of my FB friends, Jim Williams, posted in my  thread on Harry T Burleigh a whole long, sequential, 2 hour  long (at least) thread from YouTube on Burleigh.  It included lots of student recital pieces, many of which were very good, esp. one by one Ian Williams, who sang three Burleigh songs--Go Down, Moses, My Lord! What a Morning', and Every  Time I Feel the Spirit.   Listen to that one even if you don't listen to any of the others.  It also included two speeches by one of his biographers, Dr. Jean E Snyder, @ the Library of Congress which was over 66 minutes long, and well worth every second, and another shorter one of about 15 minutes at St George's Episcopal Church in Manhattan, where Burleigh had been a member of the choir for many years.  The church, which was all white  until Burleigh showed up, had some controversy about his appointment, but the choir director stood behind him and the church council decided by a one vote margin to approve his contract.  The last board member to vote, who settled the tie in Burleigh's favor, was the banker J. P. Morgan.  At any rate, Jim Williams has done us an inestimable service and I hope you will all take the time to listen to at least some of it.

Then, the one CD is listened to:

CD 3 of a 14 CD survey  of Leopold Stokowski's recordings for RCA, called "Leopold Stokowski: The Stereo Collection, 1954-1975."  This volume features Stokowski conducting Members of the NBC Symphony.  Tr.  1-7, Gian Carlo Menotti (1911-2007): Sebastian: ballet suite (23'23)  |Tr. 8-12, Prokofiev (1891-1953): Romeo & Juliet (selections) (28'21).  Rec. Manhattan Center, NYC, 28-30 SEP 1954 (Tr. 1-7), 5-7 OCT 1954 (Tr. 8-12).

AllMusic describes Sebastian as follows:
"Menotti composed this ballet score to his own libretto in 1944. The choreography of the original production was considered unsuccessful, but with restagings later it became a success. Sebastian is a Moorish slave, secretly in love with a courtesan. She, in her turn, shares love with the Prince of their Italian kingdom. The prince's sisters, desiring to end the affair, steal the courtesan's veil, which allows them to work black magic on her, which they can do with a life-sized wax figure covered with the veil; firing arrows into it will kill her. Sebastian learns of the plot, substitutes himself for the wax figure, and is shot with the arrows. The sacrifice breaks their spell over the courtesan, and she is reunited with her beloved. Menotti's music is ardent and romantic, sort of an Italian Prokofiev in style and sound. It is very listenable, a fine score of its type. There is a suite in seven movements drawn from the score."

For information on Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet, see  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juliet_(Prokofiev)
This is some of the least dissonant and most soaringly romantic music Prokofiev ever wrote.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #108804 on: February 14, 2018, 01:07:18 AM »
Speaking of Alessandrini:

Continuation....

I might get rid of my Frescobaldi set by Lorregian (Brilliant). Which is a actually quite good...
But I guess not good enough, since I never listen to it.... ::)
It just doesn't draw me in as the few handpicked top performances, like this one, do.

Q

I am sorry to hear that. I am actually quite taken with this Frescobaldi box, which I think should be in everybody's collection. As far as interpretation goes it stands for me at the top. But then again tastes differ. :)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #108805 on: February 14, 2018, 01:22:33 AM »
I am sorry to hear that. I am actually quite taken with this Frescobaldi box, which I think should be in everybody's collection. As far as interpretation goes it stands for me at the top. But then again tastes differ. :)

I guess it's a question of how good is good enough to prevent it from gathering dust...
Currently I tend to reach for other recordings first, but I'm definitely going to give it another chance before making up my mind.  :)
Impressions can change a 2nd time around.....

Q
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:46:49 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #108806 on: February 14, 2018, 01:42:55 AM »
glad to see you got a copy of the Sgambati piano pieces.  Was it what you expected ?

Pretty much yes. I wasn't that impressed by op. 6 & op. 10 but op. 12 & op. 18 are most charming. Three more volumes to go. Which is your favorite?
Wie? Es wäre nicht erlaubt und möglich, in Tönen zu denken und in Worten und Gedanken zu musizieren? - Ludwig Tieck

Nu mă-ncântați nici cu clasici,
Nici cu stil curat și antic ­—
Toate-mi sunt de o potrivă,
Eu rămân ce-am fost: romantic. - Mihai Eminescu

Offline Judith

Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #108807 on: February 14, 2018, 01:55:00 AM »
Bit of an odd combination this morning with Tchaikovsky and Schumann and three different pieces.

Tchaikovsky String Quartet no 1 in D
Endellion String Quartet

Love this one and heard it at a concert last night

Schumann
Symphony no 3 (Rhenish)
ASMF
Neville Marriner

The beginning is beautiful.  Don't know if its meant to but eyes started watering.  In third movement, can imagine river flowing or is that my imagination

Tchaikovsky
Symphony No 1
New Philharmonia Orchestra
Riccardo Muti

Just discovered this recently and adore second movement.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #108808 on: February 14, 2018, 02:39:27 AM »
... returning to this beauty

One that need not be recommended to me over the the "considering" thread, as I already have it - and it's a very good one indeed!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #108809 on: February 14, 2018, 02:50:14 AM »

Offline Draško

« Reply #108810 on: February 14, 2018, 03:30:37 AM »
I was also very curious about your impressions !  :)

I feel an authentic Italian(ate) approach works best.
Which applies to the Alessandrini I have (as if I heard the work the 1st time, and definitely the 1st it "clicked". And probably also to Garrido, who is a natural in Monteverdi...

And now there is this recording to consider.... I note your reservations and those by Johan van Veen.
From his horrible Dufay recordings  (tastes differ...  ::)), I know that Maletto takes whatever liberties he feels are right, which makes me cautious. On the other hand, Monteverdi is closer to home.

Time to give it a listen.  :)

Q

My reservations are bit lesser than van Veen's: if you can cope with the tempo it's absolutely beautiful performance. I found that I could cope, and usually I'm fan of swifter performances in almost anything. So do try it.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #108811 on: February 14, 2018, 05:45:36 AM »
Just finished Antheil's Symphony no. 4 "1942":

This often brash but not always unsubtle wartime work comes off very well in this spectacular new recording. Though the influence of Shostakovich is readily apparent in the more martial passages, Antheil's own lyrical gift shines through towards the middle of the second movement, where he introduces a lovely, swooning theme. Recommended for lovers of accessible 20th century symphonism.

This piece is good fun.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #108812 on: February 14, 2018, 05:51:35 AM »
First listen
Zelenka
Missa Paschalis in D major, ZWV 7
Gabriela Eibenová (S), Terry Wey (A), Cyril Auvity (T), Marián Krejčík (B)
Ensemble Inégal
Prague Baroque Soloists
Adam Viktora

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5HdVbSu1r2g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5HdVbSu1r2g</a>
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #108813 on: February 14, 2018, 06:02:19 AM »

A delight.
Wie? Es wäre nicht erlaubt und möglich, in Tönen zu denken und in Worten und Gedanken zu musizieren? - Ludwig Tieck

Nu mă-ncântați nici cu clasici,
Nici cu stil curat și antic ­—
Toate-mi sunt de o potrivă,
Eu rămân ce-am fost: romantic. - Mihai Eminescu

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #108814 on: February 14, 2018, 07:04:36 AM »
First listen
Zelenka
Missa Paschalis in D major, ZWV 7
Gabriela Eibenová (S), Terry Wey (A), Cyril Auvity (T), Marián Krejčík (B)
Ensemble Inégal
Prague Baroque Soloists
Adam Viktora

I'm in :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HdVbSu1r2g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5HdVbSu1r2g</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #108815 on: February 14, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »

Marta Deyanova's K282.  In poor, distant, way too resonant sound in just about the worse Nimbus tradition, Deyanova makes matters worse by playing the Adagio a bit too slow.  True, she does play with some nice dynamics, or what would be nice dynamics if the sound did not become blurred and hard at mezzo forte.  Her ornamentation and rubato and overall rhythmic sense are all fine, it's just the sound hurts everything.  Deyanova then sort of startles the ears by playing the first minuet very fast, to the point of rushing it, and she does the same with the second one.  She likewise plays the Allegro very fast, pretty much to the point of sounding rushed, but it is not as much an issue here.  Combine sub-par sound and not my taste playing, and this is an unfavorite.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #108816 on: February 14, 2018, 07:07:35 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981)
    The sounds from Knoxville during the Summer of 1915
« Reply #108817 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »
Roussel’s 3rd:

"How awful that the artist has become nothing but the after-dinner mint of society.”

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #108818 on: February 14, 2018, 07:27:49 AM »
I'm in :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HdVbSu1r2g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5HdVbSu1r2g</a>

This is exquisite, and no, I am not surprised  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The One

« Reply #108819 on: February 14, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »