Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7268807 times)

Roasted Swan and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #109080 on: February 18, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
I have those, the other DG All-Star version (Lang-Lang, Repin, Maisky), and this:

Rachmaninov: Piano Trios
 Lise De La Salle, Bartlomiej Niziol, Claudius Hermann

And the latter two ... especially the Zurich version (but really both, because they are very different) is/are my favorite(s).

I listened to a little bit of that Zurich recording (w/ De La Salle/Niziol/Hermann) and was mesmerized. I’m trying to resist, but this will definitely be a purchase soon. Thanks for the heads-up about this recording.
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #109081 on: February 18, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
Yes, indeed. Always room for different kinds of interpretations.

Playing the entire Jungle Book cycle from the best recording of this work IMHO:

The audio clarity of Zinman’s stereo account is certainly noteworthy, but Bedford’s live performance captures the mystical soundscapes of this cycle better than Zinman. Bedford’s also is recorded in the correct order as Koechlin wished unlike Zinman’s recording. All you have to deal with in Bedford’s recording is the applause, but that’s not a problem for me, it was initially, but I got over it. :)

I got a friend to download each file, remix in the right order and burn them to cdr. I haven’t listened to the result since, but when I do, I think I’ll play the work both ways: by opus number and in the order Koechlin wished it to be done  :).

I haven’t found a copy of the Bedford account at a good price, but will continue to keep an eye on the Amazon marketplace.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #109082 on: February 18, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »

I got a friend to download each file, remix in the right order and burn them to cdr. I haven’t listened to the result since, but when I do, I think I’ll play the work both ways: by opus number and in the order Koechlin wished it to be done  :).

I haven’t found a copy of the Bedford account at a good price, but will continue to keep an eye on the Amazon marketplace.

Well, I’ve heard Zinman’s recording dozens of times, so I got used to hearing the work played this way, but then when I did a bit of research and read that it wasn’t what the composer had wanted, I found Bedford’s recording for $22 (incl. shipping) from an Amazon MP seller who doesn’t even sell anymore. I snagged it while I could as, yes, it’s quite expensive nowadays (if you can find one). I hope it gets reissued again (it did get a reissue on the Accord label, but that one is OOP now as well).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:31:36 PM by Mirror Image »
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #109083 on: February 18, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
First-Listen Saturday:

Oboe Sonata, Op. 58
Oboe Trio, Op. 206
Au loin, Op. 20, No. 2 (arr. for oboe and piano)
Sonate a 7, Op. 221
11 Monodies, Op. 216

Stefan Schilli (oboe), Henrik Wiese (flute), Cristina Bianchi (harp), Daniel Giglberger (violin), Heather Cottrell (violin), Anja Kreynacke (viola), Kristin von der Goltz (cello), Oliver Triendl (piano)

It’s quite easy, especially in the Oboe Sonata, to hear how Poulenc was influenced by Koechlin. Just gorgeous.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:26:10 PM by Mirror Image »

kishnevi

« Reply #109084 on: February 18, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
Another first listen to stuff never heard before

Generally good. The soloists are the principal chairs of their respective sections of the Nashville Symphony.
Contents
Frank Ticheli Clarinet Concerto (2010)
Brad Warnaar Horn Concerto (2015)
Bezhad Ranjbaran Flute Concerto (2013).
I liked the Flute Concerto best on first hearing. The composer was born in Iran, but has lived and studied in the US since 1974, when he was 19.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #109085 on: February 18, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #109086 on: February 18, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »
Quintet:

One of my favorite chamber works by anyone. Exotic, intoxicating, and utterly passionate --- this is the kind of stuff I really get excited about.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #109087 on: February 18, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
Now going deeper into Villa-Loboian waters:

Choros No. 11 -

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #109088 on: February 18, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »
Quintet:

One of my favorite chamber works by anyone. Exotic, intoxicating, and utterly passionate --- this is the kind of stuff I really get excited about.

Is this different to the Quintet in the form of a Choros, which is in the BIS box?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #109089 on: February 18, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
Is this different to the Quintet in the form of a Choros, which is in the BIS box?

No, this is a different work scored for flute, violin, viola, cello, and harp. It’s sometimes found under the title of Quintette Instrumental.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #109090 on: February 18, 2018, 10:53:10 PM »
Morning listening:

Bob van Asperen on a roll with music from around Europe composed in the 16th and 17th century during the Thirty Years' War (1618 - 1648) and the Eighty Years War (1568 - 1648).

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #109091 on: February 18, 2018, 11:06:01 PM »
Schuman's Symphony no. 8:

This is dark, gritty, sometimes frightening music. We are a very long way from the populism of Copland or the warm Romanticism of Hanson here. Schuman does lighten things up a bit in the finale, but not much. Bernstein and the NYPO give a fantastically committed performance, as always.

Griffes' The Pleasure Dome of Kubla Khan:

Intoxicating, atmospheric music. It's a real shame Griffes died so young.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #109092 on: February 19, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »

Don't think this was among the recommendations for Zig Zag (I got the symphonic Liszt disc by Immerseel, too, though!), but I had to pick this up, seeing its contents ... first spin over the weekend, and I liked it very much!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Van Gogh - Flowers in a Blue Vase
« Reply #109093 on: February 19, 2018, 01:47:01 AM »

Genial, relaxed, sunny and tuneful --- too bad there are only 2 of them.

A selection of the 300-plus piano pieces with which Fibich tried to describe musically the psychological and physical traits of his lover Anezka Schulzova (down to her mouth, hands and breasts) and the moods and feelings he experienced in her proximity. Stuff to make some guy's hair stand on end.  :laugh:
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #109094 on: February 19, 2018, 02:26:12 AM »
On Sunday, 18 FEB 2018, I listened to 2 CDs.

1)  N Miaskovksy (1881-1950):  |Tr. 1-4, Symphony 16 in F Major, Op. 39 "The Aviation Symphony" (1934) (45'46)  |Tr. 5-7, Symphony 8 in C Major, Op. 42 (1925) (23'39)  |Tr. 8, Hulpigung's Overture in C Major, Op. 4 (1904-8) (9'49)--Evgeny Svetlanov, cond., Russian Federation Symphony Orch. CD 11 of a 16 CD set of all the Miaskovsky symphonies + some selected other orchestral works by these forces Rec. 1991-3 in the Large Hall of the Tchaikovsky Conservatory, Moscow. Issued by Warner Records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._16_(Myaskovsky)  It is called the Aviation Symphony because it was inspired by the crash of the "Maksim Gorky," aka the Tupolev ANT-20, an 8 engine Soviet aircraft, the largest aircraft by any nation in the 1930's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_ANT-20 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._8_(Myaskovsky)
From Music Web International:  "The Salutatory Overture (also seemingly known as the Hulpigung’s Overture) is so much better than its title and circumstances - the 60th birthday of Stalin - might suggest. It encapsulates much of the Myaskovsky manner: the tragic grandeur and the singing dignified melancholy. It is not the brash pot-boiler that we might have expected from Shostakovich's Festive Overture or the various examples by Kabalevsky. It is heroic and carries a sense of striving. Surprisingly its assertive lyricism has a distinct Rawsthorne flavour about it. There’s even an episode that recalls Hanson's Second Symphony."

Steven Roy Gerber (September 28, 1948 – May 28, 2015):  |Tr. 1-10, Spirituals for string orchestra (2001) (18'33)  |Tr. 11-12, Clarinet Concerto (2002) (20'44)  |Tr. 13-14, Serenade Concertante (1998) (16'36)--Vladimir Lande, cond., St. Petersburg State Academic Symphony, Jon Manasse, clarinet (Tr. 11-12), Jose Miguel Cueto & Natalia Malkova, violins (in Tr. 13-14).  An Arabesque Records CD, rec. @ the Krukov Kanal Recording Studio, St. Petersburg, Russia, 29 JAN 2005 (Tr. 1-10), 9 SEP 2005 (Tr. 11-12), & 30 JAN 2005 (Tr. 13-14).

None of these is a vocal work.  The spirtuals are orchestral arrangements of spirituals, most of them, though not all, by Harry T Burleigh, and most of them are very short.  The longest of them is the first, a 4'26 arrangement of Burleigh's "Goin' Home," which itself quoted from the second movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony.  Only one other, # 6, a call and response on "Go Down, Moses," by Burleigh, is 2'36.  All the others are under 2 minutes long. 

The Serenade Concertante is a concerted work for 2 violins, harp, and string orchestra.  The 2 violinists are named on the CD and in my headnote, but no information is in the notes on the identity of the harpist.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #109095 on: February 19, 2018, 02:37:47 AM »
Barber, Medea ballet suite

First time around this was one of my favourite new works from this box set/series. It's not just the Meditation and Dance of Vengeance, this is a more extensive selection and all of it is good.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Van Gogh - Flowers in a Blue Vase
« Reply #109096 on: February 19, 2018, 02:59:40 AM »

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #109097 on: February 19, 2018, 03:09:59 AM »
As far as I know, this is the first time I've heard Frauneliebe und -leben. Somehow this particular song cycle has passed me by. Partly because my only Schumann lieder recording before this one was a male singer.

It's marvellous. But you probably all already knew that.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #109098 on: February 19, 2018, 03:20:38 AM »
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways - either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
    Bach, Liszt, Brahms, Debussy, Sravinsky
« Reply #109099 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:19 AM »

Don't think this was among the recommendations for Zig Zag (I got the symphonic Liszt disc by Immerseel, too, though!), but I had to pick this up, seeing its contents ... first spin over the weekend, and I liked it very much!

I like that recording, too.

TD

Palestrina : Missa O sacrum convivium
Christ Church Cathedral Choir, Oxford | Stephen Darlington

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.