Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7748635 times)

pi2000, Irons, San Antone and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #124860 on: November 18, 2018, 03:35:36 AM »
The Leiden Choirbooks:

I have now completed my listening of Vol. V CDs 1 & 2
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #124861 on: November 18, 2018, 03:38:51 AM »

Thurston Dart, a pioneer, thinker and leader was historically informed before HIP as we know it. His Brandenburg's are not the most note perfect but there is a frisson which is infectious. Other recordings sound in comparison a tad dull to me. One of Dart's best recordings is the Couperin he made with Dupré. This loose-limbed music lives and breathes in a most captivating way.

I agree on Dart. I have his versions of both the Brandenburg's and the Orchestral Suites in my vinyl collection. As you say his Brandenburg's are not the most note perfect but they are very enjoyable. I feel that he does much better in the Orchestral Suites.

That Couperin above looks intriguing.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #124862 on: November 18, 2018, 04:07:50 AM »
Hadn't listened to this set for a while (2 years, according to GMG records):

Every bit as as good as I remembered!  :)

Q
I love this one.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124863 on: November 18, 2018, 04:23:42 AM »
Long time, no hear: symphonies 4 and 7 by Schmidt-Isserstedt and the WP. I remembered it was good, but not that good.

I also love these performances, especially the refined crisp articulations. It has been beautifully recorded with great attention to details in the Sofiensaal, listen to the horns!
Fortunately I have the set with 8 CDs

These are the covers in the Korean set

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124864 on: November 18, 2018, 04:34:17 AM »
Hans Werner Henze

Online pi2000

« Reply #124865 on: November 18, 2018, 04:34:31 AM »
Honegger Jeanne d'Arc au Bucher
Serge Baudo coductor

:-*

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124866 on: November 18, 2018, 04:46:54 AM »
Honegger Jeanne d'Arc au Bucher
Serge Baudo coductor

:-*

This is an impressive work and a fine recording.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #124867 on: November 18, 2018, 04:47:41 AM »
Mozart: Requiem [Bruggen]

There is a wonderful “open” acoustic on this live performance and recording which is very appealing. The textures of the period instruments are naturally lighter and it is also light in tone but the music still has plenty of weight with the brass section really standing out in the relevant sections. It is quite a sensitive yet powerful performance and an appealing one to my ear. I feel that the music moves along freely here and sounds alive. This version includes over eight minutes of plainchant in the appropriate places for a Mass for the Dead.

Offline Draško

« Reply #124868 on: November 18, 2018, 05:03:20 AM »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124869 on: November 18, 2018, 05:10:02 AM »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #124870 on: November 18, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
Good stuff!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #124871 on: November 18, 2018, 06:00:44 AM »
Messiaen: Quatuor Pour la Fin du Temps [Tashi]

I find this to be a very powerful performance infused with intensity and emotion.

Online pi2000

« Reply #124872 on: November 18, 2018, 06:06:31 AM »
This is an impressive work and a fine recording.
Indeed ! :-*

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #124873 on: November 18, 2018, 06:17:16 AM »
Messiaen: Quatuor Pour la Fin du Temps [Tashi]

I find this to be a very powerful performance infused with intensity and emotion.

There have been good recent recordings, like the Shaham, but Tashi is still my touchstone.  I do miss some of the original artwork of the Lp (click to embiggen).

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #124874 on: November 18, 2018, 06:39:20 AM »
Symphony no 7

The complete set does not appear to be available anymore. Anyhow, this shares the same visual as that box I have.

Kempe’s 7th is as good as the Schmidt-Isserstedt, with very characterful wind and brass playing. Altogether less polished and certainly less well recorded than that Decca recording. As Traverso mentions, the Sofiensaal recording nears perfection soundwise (special mention for the timpani, too). Interpretively, this Munich performance is just as good, but on a lower level technically. It was recorded in 1974 and was designed to be played in quadraphony, which probably explains the lack of clarity. Anyhow, Kempe’s finale takes the breath away as no other does.

Online Irons

« Reply #124875 on: November 18, 2018, 07:32:26 AM »
I wonder if that is the same Kempe set that appeared on vinyl for "Classics for Pleasure". If it is then an outstanding 2nd Symphony.

My Beethoven listening experience today has not been so good. In fact pretty awful! I picked up yesterday a CD if Beethoven's violin concerto - a work I love - with Gidon Kremer and Harnoncourt conducting the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. The first movement was uninspired and dull which takes some doing with such a great work. With the arrival of the cadenza I was unable to believe my ears! Kremer arranged this for violin, piano and timpani. A travesty! 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:36:16 AM by Irons »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #124876 on: November 18, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »

On the evidence of this recording, Andrzej Wiercinski is another young pianist with notable potential.  He breezes through the music on the disc, never seeming to struggle in the slightest.  He needs to add a bit more weight to some of the music, but he was all of 19 when he recorded this disc a few years ago, so the 2020s may see some great things from him.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124877 on: November 18, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
I wonder if that is the same Kempe set that appeared on vinyl for "Classics for Pleasure". If it is then an outstanding 2nd Symphony.

My Beethoven listening experience today has not been so good. In fact pretty awful! I picked up yesterday a CD if Beethoven's violin concerto - a work I love - with Gidon Kremer and Harnoncourt conducting the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. The first movement was uninspired and dull which takes some doing with such a great work. With the arrival of the cadenza I was unable to believe my ears! Kremer arranged this for violin, piano and timpani. A travesty!

Kremer also made a recording with the Academy of st. Martin in the Fields with Alfred Schnittke cadences.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #124878 on: November 18, 2018, 07:59:07 AM »

Fantastic recordings, this Fayrax cycle.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #124879 on: November 18, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »

Q
À chacun son goût.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.