Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8432550 times)

mc ukrneal, Alberich, JBS, Toccata&Fugue (+ 1 Hidden) and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #133780 on: April 14, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »
Listened to the Cello Concerto 3 times tonight:

And the Watkins above.  Chandos had the best sound.  Lyrita's sonics are disappointing compared to their best.  Watkin's cello tone is a happy medium between Ma's softness and Hugh's focus.

I have both of those, in addition to the two Chandos recording (Watkins and Wallfisch). I think I will listen to Watkins one more time and put it aside, to listen to Hugh some time in the future.
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #133781 on: April 14, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »
Morning listening:

Cute & lovely music, though perhaps a bit predictable.
Recommended for the lover of excellent & authentic performances of music for wind instruments!
The playing by the ensemble Notturna is superb.

Q
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:57:09 PM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline Irons

« Reply #133782 on: April 14, 2019, 10:26:50 PM »

An odd decision to pair Sibelius with Delius. I purchased this recording solely for the Delius quartet as "Voces intimae" is the one Sibelius work that for me is a closed book. As events transpired at long last the penny dropped and I enjoyed, with no little assistance from the Fitzwilliam SQ, Sibelius' quartet very much. The Delius is a too literal performance and disappointing. Fabulous sonics.
And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #133783 on: April 14, 2019, 11:00:24 PM »
It hasn't been released in the Uk,yet;as far as I know?! It has been released in Germany & can be bought from the Jpc website. I'll be waiting for it to become available here & the price to drop! If I had more dosh I'd have ordered it from Jpc. Alas! I was just looking at the back of the cd on another site (Clic Musique). I didn't expect the symphony to be so long!! ???

Thank you cilgwyn. I was puzzled that I could not locate the CD on Amazon. I have Symphony 4 on Dutton but can't remember much about it and should listen to it again. On the whole I prefer Holbrooke's chamber music, which I first came across as background music featured in an audio-book which I was listening to in the car - possibly 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde'. I was very impressed by the appropriately haunting music and tracked down the Marco Polo CD as a consequence. I remember a rather negative review of 'The Birds of Rhiannon' where the writer suggested that the birds as featured in Holbrooke's tone poem would not have enticed him to hang around at Harlech for seven years, as in the story ( or something like that).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #133784 on: April 14, 2019, 11:02:29 PM »
Playing,now! More Holbrooke!

That's my favourite disc of Holbrooke's orchestral music although there is one I like on CPO with a similar programme I think. Here it is:
Ulalume has a kind of claustrophobic and haunting atmosphere which is oddly appealing. In places it reminded me of Franz Waxman's (excellent) score for the Hitchcock film 'Rebecca'.
Thread duty
Ulalume
[img][/imago
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:24:40 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #133785 on: April 14, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »
Your assessment of the Steinberg-Shostakovich connection is quite probable, Jeffrey. As for the MS's 4th Symphony, no, I don't have it yet, but I intend to acquire it along with other stuff.
I'm sure you'll enjoy Steinberg's 4th Symphony Cesar. It's one that 'I couldn't stop playing' to use a phrase which amuses cilgwyn. Steinberg deserves to be remembered for not only being the son-in-law of Rimsky-Korsakov and teacher of Shostakovich but also IMO as a fine composer. I've done rather well out of Steiberg because when Gramophone printed a snooty and dismissive review of Steinberg's 4th Symphony I wrote into them with an alternative view of the symphony. They printed my letter and I won £50 of record vouchers!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #133786 on: April 14, 2019, 11:27:17 PM »

I was impressed with the works contained in the violin works set (also on CPO). This 3cd set includes symphonies 2-5 and the 1956 vocal/choral symphony "Of the Great Wisdom" based on Lao-Tseu. Tonight’s listening included a second hearing of no 2.

Written in 1932, it is cast in 5 movements and lasts over 3/4 of an hour. It is a big, bold and very assured work. In his lifetime Raphael was championed by the likes of Furtwängler, Stokowski, Celibidache, Jochum, Sawallisch, Ancerl, Kempe etc. It’s easy to understand why. The composer’s imagination, thematic inventiveness and mastery of orchestration are impressive. There is nothing derivative, nothing recalling another composer’s idiom and yet, the composer clearly walks in the footsteps of Strauss, Reger and Hindemith. The 2nd symphony was written a couple of years before Franz Schmidt’s 4th. Although quite different, both works share a similar bigness of heart and solidity of structure.
This looks very interesting Andre. I like the idea of a symphony based on Lao-Tse's writings.

Traverso

« Reply #133787 on: April 15, 2019, 12:25:12 AM »
Stravinsky

Persephone

London Philharmonic  -  Kent Nagano

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #133788 on: April 15, 2019, 01:51:57 AM »
First listen (ever) to any of Arthur Lourié's music:

Quite interesting, in fact. Very much in the mold of Stravinsky's music of the late 40s, but perhaps a bit more sombre an angular. Well worth getting to know.
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Online Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #133789 on: April 15, 2019, 01:59:14 AM »
Vaughan Williams: Piano Concerto - Louis Lortie (piano) with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra conducted by Peter Oundjian - prompted by a discussion elsewhere in the forum

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #133790 on: April 15, 2019, 02:36:33 AM »
Symphony 6 'Pathetique'

A really fine performance and excellent recording. It has a strong sense of pulse running through it. The glowering darkness at the end reminded me of the ending of Shostakovich's 4th Symphony, which I'm sure was influenced by this work. It is a very familiar symphony but I found this performance, particularly at the end, to be very moving:

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #133791 on: April 15, 2019, 02:49:50 AM »
Playing,now! Yet,more Holbrooke! ??? :) A lovely,tuneful score,imho (as they say!). Holbrooke's last 'hit',apparently! The Saxophone Concerto,was the first British concerto,for that instrument. This is a more serious concert piece,and Amy Dickson',superb musicianship,makes the most of the more shadowy,haunting atmosphere of this work. The only negative (for me,anyway) is the dry acoustic. The ballet music should have a lush,sumptuous sound. Still,it doesn't spoil my enjoyment. Once my ears adjusted to the sound! The Saxophone Concerto sounds better,to my ears!

vandermolen! I was amazed to read your positive response to Holbrooke's music! I thought I must be imagining it,at first. I even looked at the date;just in case it was still April the First!! You'll be enjoying Respighi's Sinfonia Drammatica,next!! I quite like The Birds of Rhiannon;but it's not Holbrooke at his best! Even if you think there's a best?!! ;D And yet,it's Holbrooke's most recorded work! I think the "Grasshopper",in it's various incarnations,must be,his next most recorded work?! Yes,that's a good one about those birds!! ;D I'd have probably b******* off,too! ;D I like the "Grasshopper",though! (Not to be confused with the one in,Kung Fu!! ::) ;D) What about the Prelude to the Bells,though? I'd like to hear it with a really good orchestra!
Have you heard this cd? (See below!) which seems to have been,largely,overlooked by the 'critics';judging from the lack of,available,reviews. You said you prefer his Chamber music. I think the musicianship on this one is excellent! And,some of the pieces are,arguably,Holbrooke at his best,exploiting that shadowy,dark 'gothic' side,to his music,which,imo, marks him out from some of the other,late romantic,also ran's! The sound quality,as you might expect from Cpo,is first rate!

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #133792 on: April 15, 2019, 02:55:10 AM »
Isn't it amazing,the obscurities being unearthed on cd,these days! What next? A Gaze Cooper symphony cycle? August Bungert's massive,Homerische Welt,operatic tetralogy;or,at least,one of them on cd! (Come on Cpo! ::) ;D)  Love his name,by the way!! ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #133793 on: April 15, 2019, 04:12:09 AM »
I'll look out for that Holbrooke chamber music disc which looks interesting. Thanks cilgwyn. For the record I'd much rather listen to the Sinfonia Drammatica by Respighi than to 'Ein Heldenleben' by Richard Strauss.

Traverso

« Reply #133794 on: April 15, 2019, 04:32:02 AM »
Stravinsky

Jeu de Carte  -  London Symph  Abbado
Scènes de Ballet   Israel Philharmonic   Bernstein
Orpheus   Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

Online Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #133795 on: April 15, 2019, 04:42:53 AM »
Brahms: Symphony No 2 in D major - Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic Orchestra

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #133796 on: April 15, 2019, 05:42:07 AM »
Ravel
Shéhérazade
Véronique Gens, soprano
John Axelrod, conductor
Orchestre National des Pays de la Loire

“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #133797 on: April 15, 2019, 05:50:36 AM »
Ravel
String Quartet in F major
Quatuor Ébène

“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Traverso

« Reply #133798 on: April 15, 2019, 06:01:42 AM »
 Stravinsky

The devil is hard at work in Stravinsky’s The Rake’s Progress!

The Rake's Progress 

John Eliot Gardiner

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #133799 on: April 15, 2019, 07:20:45 AM »
I'll look out for that Holbrooke chamber music disc which looks interesting. Thanks cilgwyn. For the record I'd much rather listen to the Sinfonia Drammatica by Respighi than to 'Ein Heldenleben' by Richard Strauss.
Not sure what to make of that?!! But,I get your point! ;D