Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8608590 times)

Christo, akebergv (+ 1 Hidden) and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #134100 on: April 20, 2019, 06:32:11 AM »
Les Percussions de Strasbourg

CD 8

Hermann Scherchen – Shen
Makoto Shinohara – Alternances
Maurice Ohana – Quatre études chorégraphiques
Alain Louvier – Candrakâla*
Alain Louvier – Shima*
Yoshihisa Taïra – Hiérophonie V

https://www.percussionsdestrasbourg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Livret_Percussions_de_Strasbourg_50e1.pdf
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 06:39:09 AM by Traverso »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #134101 on: April 20, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »
Violin Concerto [von Karajan/Ferras]

The playing here is superb with great intonation from Ferras. The performance is emotionally powerful and buoyant and is one of the most intense, if not quite as bleak,  performances that I have heard. I find that the performance of the first movement in particular is stunning. In the slow movement the detail of the orchestral scoring is enhanced in this performance and the solo performance is outstanding: the power and intensity throughout are both enthralling in this gripping performance. The tempo picks up in the final movement and the power, performance and intensity prevails and are unrelenting. This is a truly powerfully committed and compelling performance. Needless to say I like it!
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Traverso

« Reply #134102 on: April 20, 2019, 08:32:42 AM »

The playing here is superb with great intonation from Ferras. The performance is emotionally powerful and buoyant and is one of the most intense, if not quite as bleak,  performances that I have heard. I find that the performance of the first movement in particular is stunning. In the slow movement the detail of the orchestral scoring is enhanced in this performance and the solo performance is outstanding: the power and intensity throughout are both enthralling in this gripping performance. The tempo picks up in the final movement and the power, performance and intensity prevails and are unrelenting. This is a truly powerfully committed and compelling performance. Needless to say I like it!

I like it to  ;)

Traverso

« Reply #134103 on: April 20, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »
Mozart

Pianoconcerto No.23  Alfred Brendel /Academy-Neville Marriner

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #134104 on: April 20, 2019, 08:43:03 AM »
Victoria, Tomás Luis de - Responsories Tenebrae & Sacred Works w/ the performers on the cover art below - the 'Sacred Works' is a 10-CD box recorded from 2008-2011 - not sure that I'll listen to all the discs, but beautiful and relaxing music; and also brings me to the end of my Medieval/Renaissance collection listening - next up?  Dave :)

Tomás Luis de Victoria (c. 1548–1611) was the most famous composer in 16th-century Spain, and was one of the most important composers of the Counter-Reformation, along with Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina and Orlando di Lasso. Victoria was not only a composer, but also an accomplished organist and singer as well as a Catholic priest. However, he preferred the life of a composer to that of a performer. (Source)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #134105 on: April 20, 2019, 08:52:36 AM »
On,now! Again!! ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #134106 on: April 20, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »

Very good Tapiola as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #134107 on: April 20, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #134108 on: April 20, 2019, 09:47:24 AM »

Herbie is the go-to guy for Sibelius.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #134109 on: April 20, 2019, 09:55:30 AM »

How's that Queffelec box going overall?

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #134110 on: April 20, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
How's that Queffelec box going overall?

Very nice.  No duds yet, after ten discs and already knowing the Dutilleux.  Extremely articulate playing in places, and the Scarlatti disc is quite something.  I look forward to the two long discs of Schubert four hands.  In a head-to-head with the Erato Dalberto box, I prefer Dalberto so far, but not by a whole lot.  Obviously, the only proper solution is to have both.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #134111 on: April 20, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »

Yes,one,particularly,delightful,and tuneful number;in which Sumi Jo,is accompanied,by castanets! A rousing chorus. What not to enjoy?! Auber,was obviously,a very talented composer. And this is a fine performance! (Sumi Jo's singing,really is,lovely,too! :)) I,obviously,just,wasn't,in the right mood,the last,two,times,I listened to this opera. And,of course,trying to get my ears,and head,around the music of an,unfamiliar,composer. I will,certainly,be looking out for more recordings of Auber! Although,I may have a bit of a wait?! As,so often,with works like this,once they are deleted,sellers start asking horrific prices! As,I've learned;you've just got to keep looking! Suitner's recording of Figaro;which I I listened to earlier,is just one example! (Although,years ago (before the internet) I could probably have picked up an obscurity like this,s/h,for a few quid?!)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #134112 on: April 20, 2019, 10:32:10 AM »
Milhaud
Cello Concerto 1
Rostropovich
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Online rickardg

« Reply #134113 on: April 20, 2019, 10:47:42 AM »
Just finished

Michael Tilson Thomas
Four Preludes on Playthings of the Wind for Solo Soprano and Two Female Voices, Bar Band and Chamber Orchestra
New World Symphony et al/MTT

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/michael-tilson-thomas-conducts-michael-tilson-thomas/

Interesting! I may have thousands of small quibbles with this work but the way it actually explicitly engages with the "popular" music of the last century means it's still right up my alley, chamber orchestra, blues band, soprano with soul-y vocal backing, lyrics by Carl Sandburg, what's not to like? I expect a lot of the regulars here to hate it... :-)

Now up (from the same live stream):
Franz Schubert / Gustav Mahler / Michael Tilson Thomas
String Quartet No. 14 in D Minor, D. 810, "Death and the Maiden" (version for orchestra)
New World Symphony/MTT

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #134114 on: April 20, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »
First listen to Franz Liszt’s Via Crucis (in its version for choir and piano):

This enigmatic, ascetic composition is turning out to be quite wonderful.  :)
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #134115 on: April 20, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
Doyle: Budawanny

Budawanny is the soundtrack to a film of the same name. It is basically a keyboard based electronic score. The music is atmospheric and entertaining.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #134116 on: April 20, 2019, 12:23:40 PM »

I like it to  ;)

Very good Tapiola as well.

It is a great disc all round.

Herbie is the go-to guy for Sibelius.

That has also been a long held belief of mine for many years.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #134117 on: April 20, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
Suppé Overtures (Light Cavalry,  Poet and Peasant, Pique Dame, Morning, Noon and Night in Vienna), Solti conducting the LPO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #134118 on: April 20, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »

Very nice.  No duds yet, after ten discs and already knowing the Dutilleux.  Extremely articulate playing in places, and the Scarlatti disc is quite something.  I look forward to the two long discs of Schubert four hands.  In a head-to-head with the Erato Dalberto box, I prefer Dalberto so far, but not by a whole lot.  Obviously, the only proper solution is to have both.
Thanks. Also, darn it, I hadn't looked at the Dalberto box at all yet.

Queffelec has a much more recent Scarlatti recital on the Mirare label which is also well worth hearing, so I have high hopes for the earlier Erato recital.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #134119 on: April 20, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »
Music from the French grand siècle (Sainte-Colombe père & fils, Nivers, and Louis & François Couperin—including the breathtaking Troisième leçon de Ténèbres), beautifully performed by Spanish musicians (the trio La Bellemont and other soloists):

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:01:25 PM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »