Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8658959 times)

kyjo (+ 1 Hidden) and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #135940 on: May 19, 2019, 07:57:16 AM »
I made a new registration so I'm back.I recieved a friendly message that altered my mind. ;)

Welcome back, I was worried. And here's a coincidence -- I listened to that CD yesterday. I'm Red Byrd's greatest fan at the moment.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Traverso

« Reply #135941 on: May 19, 2019, 07:59:18 AM »

Well said gentlemen and I also add my hearty relief on the return of our friend  :)

It makes me embarrassed, but it feels good nonetheless. ;)

Offline Traverso

« Reply #135942 on: May 19, 2019, 08:01:33 AM »
Welcome back, I was worried. And here's a coincidence -- I listened to that CD yesterday. I'm Red Byrd's greatest fan at the moment.

I also cherish there Thomas Tomkins recording on Naxos

Offline Traverso

« Reply #135943 on: May 19, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »
Beethoven

Brendel is a person with a good sense of humor,wit and the necessary ability to make crazy faces,I like Brendel for being human.

Pianosonatas 30-31 & 32

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #135944 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »
McEwen, John Blackwood (1868-1948) - String Quartets & Orchestral Works w/ performers on the cover art - my entire McEwen collection and not much more available on Amazon; only 11 Fanfare entries - but apparently quite prolific (beginning of his Wiki article quoted below - also includes a list of his compositions for those interested).  Dave :)

Sir John Blackwood McEwen (13 April 1868 – 14 June 1948) was a Scottish classical composer and educator. He was professor of harmony and composition at the Royal Academy of Music, London, from 1898 to 1924, and principal from 1924 to 1936. He was a prolific composer, but made few efforts to bring his music to the notice of the general public. (Source)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #135945 on: May 19, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »
Symphony 5 (Kletzki):
Fabulously gripping performance:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #135946 on: May 19, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
McEwen, John Blackwood (1868-1948) - String Quartets & Orchestral Works w/ performers on the cover art - my entire McEwen collection and not much more available on Amazon; only 11 Fanfare entries - but apparently quite prolific (beginning of his Wiki article quoted below - also includes a list of his compositions for those interested).  Dave :)

I really like the CD of orchestral music and the Border Ballads on a different Chandos CD, especially 'Grey Galloway'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #135947 on: May 19, 2019, 10:11:48 AM »
Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 [Abravanel]

There is good tension in the performance of the first movement. The main theme is wonderfully played with the brass offering a very good account of themselves when called upon. The slow movement is a noble performance with good poise. There is great weight in the performance of the final movement with the brass, once again, standing out.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #135948 on: May 19, 2019, 10:13:08 AM »
It makes me embarrassed, but it feels good nonetheless. ;)

That is fine but do not leave again; you are too valued a member to lose my friend  ;)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #135949 on: May 19, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #135950 on: May 19, 2019, 10:33:31 AM »
new from jpc
Ostdeutsche Orgelromantik -  music by RITTER, MERKEL, FORCHHAMMER, REIMANN
good set of notes with it
Christoph Keggenhoff, Röver Organ from 1903 in the Bonifatiuskirche Ditfurk
and used from Sikoras here before they closed:  George LLOYD  Symphony no.5 in Bb
BBC Philharmonic O.,  Lloyd conducting
getting a key signature in a 20th century work's title is reassuring.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Offline Traverso

« Reply #135951 on: May 19, 2019, 10:34:02 AM »
Schumann & Brahms

Carnaval op.9
Faschingsswank aus Wien op.26
Ballades op.10

Exciting music from Schumann and played by Michelangeli, do I need to say more.......
Yes I have, The Brahms Ballades are spellbinding

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #135952 on: May 19, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
Meh...I'll stick with Bach, Reger, Ysaÿe, and Bartok for solo violin works.

DALI Epicon 2 speakers
SVS SB13 Ultra sub
McIntosh MA9000
Esoteric K-03 SACD player
VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge
Sennheiser HD800s, MrSpeaker Aeon
Oppo 205 Blu-ray player

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #135953 on: May 19, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »

Th

And a fantastic Brahms concerto from Tianwa Yang:

Daverz,
Any added comments on these, I'd be interested to read. :)

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #135954 on: May 19, 2019, 10:55:13 AM »
It's amazing to think that that whole marvelous 12-shelve stack of CDs and boxsets could easily fit in a hard disk whose size is less than a 100th of a single shelf.  ;D

Yes, technology has certainly advanced and miniaturized in a short space of time. But you know, picking up my hard drives, and looking at them, just doesn't give me the same pleasure ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #135955 on: May 19, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »
Nielsen: Symphony No. 5 [Leaper]

This is a wonderful performance. There is a definite difference to the flavour of this version in terms of its interpretation of the work. It is quite unsettling and even somewhat more menacing than others with a nice bite to the lower register strings. This pervasive sense of menace prevails and is maintained throughout the performance of the first movement. The second section of the first movement is gloriously played and the orchestra demonstrates its ability to switch moods easily and effectively. I think that this performance more than holds its own with other versions perhaps even adding another interpretive dimension to the work. This interpretation I feel strives for a more coherent and positive resolution in the second movement where the string playing is very fine as is the brass and there is no doubt that it concludes with a glorious, positive disposition. The third movement is a somewhat buoyant and very engaging affair with those strings which have the dual role at first in full song once again and subsequently as the dark, menacing harbinger. They are ably assisted by those poised woodwinds. The final movement has a noble, poised beginning and the mood and tone rise to high levels of atmosphere and emotion with a fine conclusion.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #135956 on: May 19, 2019, 11:48:25 AM »
Yes, technology has certainly advanced and miniaturized in a short space of time. But you know, picking up my hard drives, and looking at them, just doesn't give me the same pleasure ;)

Sarge

Definitely Old School, Sarge, but amen to that.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #135957 on: May 19, 2019, 12:01:40 PM »
I feel the same way. Especially love the Chung performance (and love that cover which decorates my music library):

I saw her and Previn perform this as part of an all Walton concert with the Cleveland Orchestra in 1972 (Facade and the First Symphony were also on the program). Walton himself was in the audience; took a bow at the end. Memorable evening at Severance Hall.

Sarge

Superbly cool, Sarge!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #135958 on: May 19, 2019, 12:32:43 PM »
This is worth trying, it's funny

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7OYkWSW7u4k" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7OYkWSW7u4k</a>
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #135959 on: May 19, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »

McEwen's cycle of string quartets is quite remarkable (17 in total from memory...?) and it was a great sorrow that the Chilingirians/Chandos never completed their cycle.....  No.7 'Threnody' is one  of the great British quartets of that period and one of the very few chamber works to be written explicitly 'in memoriam' of WW1.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.