Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8612263 times)

bluemooze, Daverz and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #136060 on: May 21, 2019, 05:37:26 AM »

Olivier

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #136061 on: May 21, 2019, 05:38:35 AM »
Faure, 4 songs op.39

Not sure this is the best set of his Melodies, but The Roses of Isfahan is rather lovely.

One reason I haven’t bought the Fauré mélodies series on Hyperion is I read the vocalists are of variable quality. What’s your take on this?
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #136062 on: May 21, 2019, 05:41:29 AM »

G minor piano quartet op 25 and 4 solo piano pieces.

Very good interpretations, with the exception of Norbert Brainin’s wiry violin tone - like sucking a lemon  >:(. Perahia otoh is absolutely splendid.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #136063 on: May 21, 2019, 05:48:44 AM »
Enescu
Violin Sonata No. 3 in A minor, Op. 25 ‘Dans le caractère populaire roumain’
Patricia Kopatchinskaja (violin), Mihaela Ursuleasa (piano)

“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #136064 on: May 21, 2019, 06:25:40 AM »

Olivier

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #136065 on: May 21, 2019, 07:09:50 AM »
Bach Sonata No 1 for Solo Violin:

I do not like this recording at all. I really, really, really don't like it.

Amazing that they can use the latest technology to make a recording that sounds worse than a recording made in 1955. The violin tone is so thin. I also love the growling low register of a violin and there is little trace of it in this recording. There is absolutely no room ambience, as though recorded in an anechoic chamber. You could say that is fine, it is like she is in the room, except I listen on headphones. It is like I am in an anechoic chamber with her. Oh, and the playing, everything is too fast and clipped with peculiar phrasing. Maybe the recording is so dry because they want me to marvel at her immaculate technique. Yes, it is immaculate. Too immaculate.

I've never heard a recording of this music that I've enjoyed less.

My favorites, Grumiaux, Fischer, Szeryng.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:37:47 AM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #136066 on: May 21, 2019, 08:38:31 AM »

I've never heard a recording of this music that I've enjoyed less.

My favorites, Grumiaux, Fischer, Szeryng.

Grumiaux? Ouch. I, in turn, find that to be senselessly boring. (I do like the other two; Fischer as the modern, slightly prettified standard, and Szeryng, who puts his all into the music. (Though I prefer, from roughly that time, Milstein II.) That said, I've recently (will write about it before long; have been sitting on a review for months now) heard and really fallen hard for Gottfried von der Goltz' recording. Perhaps my new Hip favorite along with Podger. Compare VERY nicely to Carmignola (in his swim-lane) and Hahn (very disappointing second half of her decades-separated 'complete' recording).

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #136067 on: May 21, 2019, 08:43:00 AM »
Britten, Benjamin - String Quartets V. 2 w/ the Maggini SQ - new addition; already own V. 1 w/ the same group.

Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai - Orchestral Works w/ Kees Bakels & the Malaysian PO - 4 CD box - a replacement for a previous box; decision based on rave reviews in this thread and also several on the net (see attachment if interested) - Dave :)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #136068 on: May 21, 2019, 08:46:21 AM »
Grumiaux? Ouch. I, in turn, find that to be senselessly boring. (I do like the other two; Fischer as the modern, slightly prettified standard, and Szeryng, who puts his all into the music. (Though I prefer, from roughly that time, Milstein II.) That said, I've recently (will write about it before long; have been sitting on a review for months now) heard and really fallen hard for Gottfried von der Goltz' recording. Perhaps my new Hip favorite along with Podger. Compare VERY nicely to Carmignola (in his swim-lane) and Hahn (very disappointing second half of her decades-separated 'complete' recording).

I also like Milstein, though I marginally prefer his original traversal on Capitol/EMI. I've listened to Podger and didn't hate it, as well as Mullova (same reaction). I've not come across a PI version that really captivated me, although I have Huggett, as yet unlistened to. Maybe I should try that Goltz.

I'm surprised at a strong negative reaction to Grumiaux. I think of him as the counterpart of Fournier's Unaccompanied Cello suites. Graceful yet expressive.

Offline Traverso

« Reply #136069 on: May 21, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
I also like Milstein, though I marginally prefer his original traversal on Capitol/EMI. I've listened to Podger and didn't hate it, as well as Mullova (same reaction). I've not come across a PI version that really captivated me, although I have Huggett, as yet unlistened to. Maybe I should try that Goltz.

I'm surprised at a strong negative reaction to Grumiaux. I think of him as the counterpart of Fournier's Unaccompanied Cello suites. Graceful yet expressive.

We all are right in different ways. :D

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #136070 on: May 21, 2019, 09:10:02 AM »
We all are right in different ways. :D

Yes! I try to remember to describe what I like and what I don't like, not what is good and what is bad.

That said, I've recently (will write about it before long; have been sitting on a review for months now) heard and really fallen hard for Gottfried von der Goltz' recording.

Just listened to some samples. Outstanding! :)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #136071 on: May 21, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
RVW
Job, a Masque for dancing
LSO
Boult
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #136072 on: May 21, 2019, 10:21:57 AM »
RVW
Job, a Masque for dancing
LSO
Boult

A great performance - possibly the best.
I saw Boult conduct it on what would have been the composer's 100th birthday on 12th October 1972 at the Festival Hall, London in an all VW concert (Symphony 8 featured as well). It was the first time I'd heard Job and shortly after I bought the LP of your performance. It's dedicated to Boult so he had a special affection for it and recorded it four times (EMI,Decca, Everest and EMI again).
Here's that fine old LP:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:23:31 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #136073 on: May 21, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
TD:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #136074 on: May 21, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »
Rather ironically/hypocritically, this was recorded digitally! (I wrote the label to find out if it derives from an analog or digital source since the record jacket didn't mention it--turns out the title refers to his thoughts on what digital technology is doing to the world.) It's well recorded (maybe a touch bright in the upper octaves) and he plays very well. I am not, however, a fan of single movements in isolation.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:54:26 PM by Toccata&Fugue »
DALI Epicon 2 speakers
SVS SB13 Ultra sub
McIntosh MA9000
Esoteric K-03 SACD player
VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge
Sennheiser HD800s, MrSpeaker Aeon
Oppo 205 Blu-ray player

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #136075 on: May 21, 2019, 11:00:01 AM »
A great performance - possibly the best.
I saw Boult conduct it on what would have been the composer's 100th birthday on 12th October 1972 at the Festival Hall, London in an all VW concert (Symphony 8 featured as well). It was the first time I'd heard Job and shortly after I bought the LP of your performance. It's dedicated to Boult so he had a special affection for it and recorded it four times (EMI,Decca, Everest and EMI again).
Here's that fine old LP:

The piece certainly connected with me much better this time.

The onlyl other recording I have is part of the Handley set, I believe
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #136076 on: May 21, 2019, 12:15:22 PM »

I’m of two minds about Belshazzar’s Feast. I love the orchestral writing with its plentiful brass and percussion. OTOH the top-heavy choral writing, with sopranos and tenors often shouting at the top of their register grates my nerves. The Writing on the Wall scene is very well done here. The symphony is given a spacious, highly detailed interpretation and the recorded sound is top notch: immediate, very clear, detailed, with a wide dynamic range. Davis’ view of the work is dynamic, almost balletic.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #136077 on: May 21, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »
One reason I haven’t bought the Fauré mélodies series on Hyperion is I read the vocalists are of variable quality. What’s your take on this?

Yes it’s variable. Jennifer Smith is bad. There’s no getting away from it. And volume 4 is the one where she gets her most significant work.

There’s also a man named Fouchecourt who is not to everyone’s taste, I think he’s okay because his light voice is chosen for songs where that works, but he’s not really more than “okay”.

Everyone else I think is good.

I do have some doubts about the pianist, rather than the singers, when it comes to some late songs though... but that depends on finding BETTER. There’s the Dietschy/Cassard album that I’m head over heels in love with of course, but apart from that I’m yet to find anyone who really nails the kind of smooth flow I think the music needs.

I’ve sampled a couple of other series of Faure melodies and if anything I’ve been less satisfied with the singers, not more.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:33:43 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #136078 on: May 21, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »
RVW
A London Symphony
Symphony #8
LSO
Thomson
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Zeus

• That Was Fun
« Reply #136079 on: May 21, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
Fortuna Desperata: Gothic & Renaissance Organ Music
Daniel Beilschmidt et al.
Genuin

Purchased some time ago after a recommendation from, I think, Mandryka.  Excellent!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:43:21 PM by Zeus »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)