Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 5084680 times)

Alberich, SimonNZ (+ 2 Hidden) and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #98600 on: September 13, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
I was just interested to see if anyone here could explain what attracted them to it.  Maybe I will change my mind in the future.

And I told you what attracted me to the work but your response of “I don’t hear any beauty in it” and then going to on to criticize it as "the musical equivalent of a bunch of hastily compiled run-on sentences” doesn’t really open yourself up to any kind of conversation. It’s like me saying I dislike vanilla ice cream and you saying you love vanilla cream. Neither one of us is going to change the other’s mind, because they were made up well before the opinion was actually stated.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98601 on: September 13, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
Now:

Quiet City
Symphony No. 3

"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #98602 on: September 13, 2017, 03:19:11 PM »
And I told you what attracted me to the work but your response of “I don’t hear any beauty in it” and then going to on to criticize it as "the musical equivalent of a bunch of hastily compiled run-on sentences” doesn’t really open yourself up to any kind of conversation. It’s like me saying I dislike vanilla ice cream and you saying you love vanilla cream. Neither one of us is going to change the other’s mind, because they were made up well before the opinion was actually stated.

You misunderstand.  I was trying to convey my own impression of the work, as you conveyed yours.  You hear beauty, and I do not.  You hear lyricism and emotion, and I hear babbling.  I am open to changing that impression, and that has happened in the past, so don't take it as an immutable judgement of any kind.

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #98603 on: September 13, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »
I was just interested to see if anyone here could explain what attracted them to it.  Maybe I will change my mind in the future.

You got an explanation, though, and your immediate response was to disagree with it.

And I agree with Mirror Image that you didn't do it in a tone that seemed open to further discussion.

Honestly, if you don't "get" a work to the degree you're expressing, don't waste your time. I get interested in compositions or composers where I can hear SOMETHING that attracts me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:43:21 PM by ørfeo »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98604 on: September 13, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »
You misunderstand.  I was trying to convey my own impression of the work, as you conveyed yours.  You hear beauty, and I do not.  You hear lyricism and emotion, and I hear babbling.  I am open to changing that impression, and that has happened in the past, so don't take it as an immutable judgement of any kind.

Fair enough. I do suggest you read about Weinberg --- if you want. He’s seen as an heir to Shostakovich and had a career, like many Soviet composers, that was plagued with personal hardships and professional upsets.

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #98605 on: September 13, 2017, 03:46:52 PM »
Lou Harrison is a fantastic composer, Kyle. Right up your alley (I would think). This particular work from Harrison, his Elegiac Symphony, is absolutely gorgeous. The last movement, in particular, breaks my heart. There’s a lyricism that runs through all of Harrison’s work, which I think you’ll find highly appealing.

Thanks for the recommendation, John :) I was previously under the impression that Harrison was an avant-garde composer; guess I was wrong! I'll definitely check out his Elegiac Symphony when I have time.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98606 on: September 13, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, John :) I was previously under the impression that Harrison was an avant-garde composer; guess I was wrong! I'll definitely check out his Elegiac Symphony when I have time.

No need to be scared of Harrison, Kyle. Check this out when you have time:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EjQF5s5LCuA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EjQF5s5LCuA</a>

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #98607 on: September 13, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »

He suffers reputationally by being linked to Partch and some who used microtones serially. He's a melodist principally, with a penchant for gamelan. There's lots of gorgeous stuff on youtube. Main bersama sama is a very characteristic piece, the piano concerto is wonderful, and I especially like the Threnody for Carlos Chavez.

TD
Mahler 9, Berlin, Abbado
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98608 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
Now playing Schnittke’s Requiem from this recording:

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98609 on: September 13, 2017, 05:54:04 PM »
Following Schnittke’s Requiem with Silvestrov’s Four Postludes from this recording:

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #98610 on: September 13, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #98611 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
Georg Philipp Telemann: Concerto for Recorder and Flute in E minor, TV 52/E1
Ensemble Caprice

A great album of gypsy music, alongside works by Telemann that were inspired by this music.
One of my favorite concertos, and an amazing performance! And I found it on YouTube to share with any Baroque fans here...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RTkU1P6IaYM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RTkU1P6IaYM</a>

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #98612 on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »
Schubert's Sonata in D Major, D850. Uchida...

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #98613 on: September 13, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »
Schubert's Sonata in D Major, D850. Uchida...

I have always loved how the energetic Scherzo suddenly turns calm, which becomes a lovely transition into the delightfully tranquil finale.

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #98614 on: September 13, 2017, 07:12:17 PM »
He suffers reputationally by being linked to Partch and some who used microtones serially. He's a melodist principally, with a penchant for gamelan. There's lots of gorgeous stuff on youtube. Main bersama sama is a very characteristic piece, the piano concerto is wonderful, and I especially like the Threnody for Carlos Chavez.

TD
Mahler 9, Berlin, Abbado

Thanks for the recommendations, Ken. Love Abbado's Mahler 9 by the way.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98615 on: September 13, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
Love Abbado's Mahler 9 by the way.

+1

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #98616 on: September 13, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »

Disc 1/14. Mme Haas (or the record producer) sensibly arranged every disc to be a sizable self-contained Reger recital, with big set pieces interspersed with plentiful choral preludes and assorted stück. This one contains the BACH Fantasie und fugue, the Wachet auf and Wie schön leucht' uns der Morgenstern fantasies as well as various choral settings.

I'm not an expert, but both the interpretation and the instrument seem to be of great quality, and the recording is both precise and wide-ranging. Production values are excellent. At 71:05, this is the shortest disc in the set.

I should note that my initial negative reaction to this set changed as I went through it. Perhaps my ears acclimated to her approach, but it is fair to say I liked the later discs much more.

Meanwhile, I have been playing through this set the last three days. Is he GMG composer of the week.

Like Hartmann's symphonies, music I liked before I am liking even more now. Certainly one of the best SQ cycles of the 20th century.
Currently on CD 4 of 6
Quartets No 5, 9,14 Opp. 27, 80, 122.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #98617 on: September 13, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »
Following Schnittke’s Requiem with Silvestrov’s Four Postludes from this recording:

This disc is an unsung gem (does that make sense? ???). Anyway, I love it  :D.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98618 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:07 PM »
This disc is an unsung gem (does that make sense? ???). Anyway, I love it  :D.

Yes, indeed. A fine disc. I really love the Ustvolskaya and Silvestrov selections, but the Kancheli is ‘okay’. I’m not a huge fan of his music.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:27:22 PM by Mirror Image »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98619 on: September 13, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
Meanwhile, I have been playing through this set the last three days. Is he GMG composer of the week?

Like Hartmann's symphonies, music I liked before I am liking even more now. Certainly one of the best SQ cycles of the 20th century.
Currently on CD 4 of 6
Quartets No 5, 9,14 Opp. 27, 80, 122.

It’s interesting you mentioned the Weinberg SQ cycle, because I just received it in the mail today. 8) I’m quite looking forward to giving something from the box a spin soon. As for Hartmann, I just love his music ---- the anguish, the passion, the Expressionistic demeanor of the music. One of my favorite composers.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK