Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 5758385 times)

André (+ 1 Hidden) and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sounds of Mother Goose, The Child, & the Spells
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #98640 on: October 01, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
That looks like a great set, John. Have you heard Honegger's Cello Sonata?

I do know Honegger’s Cello Sonata indeed. A great piece for sure.
“I did my work slowly, drop by drop. I tore it out of me by pieces.” - Maurice Ravel

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98641 on: October 01, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »
The whole disc:

An astonishing disc from start to finish.
“I did my work slowly, drop by drop. I tore it out of me by pieces.” - Maurice Ravel

Offline LKB

something between my ears
« Reply #98642 on: October 01, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »
I bet that Mahler 7th was something not of this earth! You’re quite fortunate to have seen Haitink in his prime, too. 8)

Right you are on both counts. This was my first exposure to one of the world's great orchestra/conductor partnerships, and I was astonished at the refined ensemble and balanced power. The opening bar was riveting, with complete coordination in the violins, sounding the notes as written, no sense of tremolo whatsoever... And it just got better from there...

At the end, after a C-Major peroration seemingly as cosmic as anything else in Mahler, l leapt from my seat, punched my fist in the air ( l was a young man, after all ), and yelled, " YEAH!!! "

The ovation went on for a good five minutes. Haitink finally grabbed the concertmaster by the arm and led him offstage, with the orchestra following.

What a night!

Grinning,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #98643 on: October 01, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »
I agree completely. The recording of no. 11 was made eight months after l witnessed them performing Mahler's 7th, which was the greatest concert experience for me to date ( that was in 1982 ). Their DS11 may not be the most idiomatic, but for orchestral sonority and power, l can't imagine any conductor/orchestra combination ever exceeding it... The sense of impending vengeance in the final measures makes my hair stand on end!  :o

Cowering,

LKB

Have you ever heard Rostropovich's recordings of DSCH 8 and 11 on LSO Live (not the earlier ones from his NSO cycle)?
They get the same sort of reaction from me.

TD
Both CDs

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98644 on: October 01, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »
Right you are on both counts. This was my first exposure to one of the world's great orchestra/conductor partnerships, and I was astonished at the refined ensemble and balanced power. The opening bar was riveting, with complete coordination in the violins, sounding the notes as written, no sense of tremolo whatsoever... And it just got better from there...

At the end, after a C-Major peroration seemingly as cosmic as anything else in Mahler, l leapt from my seat, punched my fist in the air ( l was a young man, after all ), and yelled, " YEAH!!! "

The ovation went on for a good five minutes. Haitink finally grabbed the concertmaster by the arm and led him offstage, with the orchestra following.

What a night!

Grinning,

LKB

“What a night!” indeed! 8)

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #98645 on: October 01, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98646 on: October 01, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
That looks like a great set, John. Have you heard Honegger's Cello Sonata?

My turn, do you know Frank Martin’s Ballade for Cello and Small Orchestra or the Cello Concerto? I think you’ll dig both of these works.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #98647 on: October 01, 2017, 07:05:56 PM »
Schubert: Symphony No 9, D 944
Jonathan Nott/Bamberg Symphony Orchestra

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #98648 on: October 01, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
My turn, do you know Frank Martin’s Ballade for Cello and Small Orchestra or the Cello Concerto? I think you’ll dig both of these works.

No, I don't, but I'm sure I'll dig both of them 8) Everything I've heard by Martin so far has really impressed me.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98649 on: October 01, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
No, I don't, but I'm sure I'll dig both of them 8) Everything I've heard by Martin so far has really impressed me.

Check this out when you have time:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2GeE9IC8tCw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2GeE9IC8tCw</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6zoFv6UcIpA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6zoFv6UcIpA</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZkQQMe-2Hlw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZkQQMe-2Hlw</a>

Offline LKB

« Reply #98650 on: October 01, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
Have you ever heard Rostropovich's recordings of DSCH 8 and 11 on LSO Live (not the earlier ones from his NSO cycle)?
They get the same sort of reaction from me.

TD
Both CDs

I haven't heard Rostropovich with the LSO, no. But considering his reputation with Shostakovich, it wouldn't surprise me at all if his more recent 8 & 11 were outstanding.  8)

And I spy with my little eye Cantata 140, an old friend indeed. I played the oboe part back when l was an active oboist, and sung the bass solos a few years later. I've not heard the Gardiner though.

Respectfully,

LKB

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #98651 on: October 01, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »

What a night!

Grinning,

LKB

That sounds wonderful.  I got to hear Haitink conduct the Boston Symphony in Mahler's Second about 10 years ago at Tanglewood.  It was a great night all around.

TD, more of that heavy Germanic diet:

Mozart: Fantasy in C minor, Sonata in C minor
Mitsuko Uchida

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98652 on: October 01, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »
Now:

These CDs come free with BBC Music Magazine. I haven’t heard this Pärt one yet. Sounds quite nice so far.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #98653 on: October 01, 2017, 07:39:21 PM »
Saariaho: Grammaire des reves

From the above box set, originally from this release...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98654 on: October 01, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »
Saariaho: Grammaire des reves

From the above box set, originally from this release...

Saariaho is still a composer I struggle with, but I’d love to know how you get on with her music, Greg. Maybe I’m missing something?

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #98655 on: October 01, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »
TD
Both CDs

+1. The more I hear of Gardiner's pilgrimage the more I love it.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline LKB

« Reply #98656 on: October 01, 2017, 07:56:37 PM »
That sounds wonderful.  I got to hear Haitink conduct the Boston Symphony in Mahler's Second about 10 years ago at Tanglewood.  It was a great night all around.

TD, more of that heavy Germanic diet:

Mozart: Fantasy in C minor, Sonata in C minor
Mitsuko Uchida

I envy you sir, M2 is where I live. I've performed it from the chorus six times, most recently in 2014, and it's about the most exciting thing I've ever done out of bed. Even soloing for Beethoven's Ninth doesn't compare. So attending a performance with BH conducting the BSO... Yeah, I'd pay a pretty penny for that all right...

Wistfully,

LKB

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #98657 on: October 01, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »
Now:

These CDs come free with BBC Music Magazine. I haven’t heard this Pärt one yet. Sounds quite nice so far.

This is the worst performance of Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten I’ve ever heard. It’s almost as if the presence of the orchestra has had the life drained from it. Edward Gardner is usually a fine conductor, but he has no affinity for this music judging from this performance. Sigh...I have no desire to move forward with this particular recording.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #98658 on: October 01, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
Saariaho is still a composer I struggle with, but I’d love to know how you get on with her music, Greg. Maybe I’m missing something?

I wish I knew the key to breaking that struggle, John. But I really admire the freedom of Saariaho's music, the transcendence quality of the tone.

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #98659 on: October 01, 2017, 08:18:54 PM »
+1. The more I hear of Gardiner's pilgrimage the more I love it.

Yes. Of the three complete cycles I own, I like Gardiner most. (The other two being Leonhardt/Harnoncourt and Rilling.)

However, if you include non complete sets, I would have to rate Herreweghe the best.

I wish I knew the key to breaking that struggle, John. But I really admire the freedom of Saariaho's music, the transcendence quality of the tone.

I'm with John. I have that Ondine set, and found nothing I could relate to.
TD
Non classical
The Idan Raichel Project

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK