Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7386975 times)

Biffo, North Star, Que, HIPster and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #97320 on: September 13, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »
Lou Harrison is a fantastic composer, Kyle. Right up your alley (I would think). This particular work from Harrison, his Elegiac Symphony, is absolutely gorgeous. The last movement, in particular, breaks my heart. There’s a lyricism that runs through all of Harrison’s work, which I think you’ll find highly appealing.

Thanks for the recommendation, John :) I was previously under the impression that Harrison was an avant-garde composer; guess I was wrong! I'll definitely check out his Elegiac Symphony when I have time.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #97321 on: September 13, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, John :) I was previously under the impression that Harrison was an avant-garde composer; guess I was wrong! I'll definitely check out his Elegiac Symphony when I have time.

No need to be scared of Harrison, Kyle. Check this out when you have time:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EjQF5s5LCuA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EjQF5s5LCuA</a>
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #97322 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »

He suffers reputationally by being linked to Partch and some who used microtones serially. He's a melodist principally, with a penchant for gamelan. There's lots of gorgeous stuff on youtube. Main bersama sama is a very characteristic piece, the piano concerto is wonderful, and I especially like the Threnody for Carlos Chavez.

TD
Mahler 9, Berlin, Abbado
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #97323 on: September 13, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »
Now playing Schnittke’s Requiem from this recording:

"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #97324 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
Following Schnittke’s Requiem with Silvestrov’s Four Postludes from this recording:

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #97325 on: September 13, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #97326 on: September 13, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »
Georg Philipp Telemann: Concerto for Recorder and Flute in E minor, TV 52/E1
Ensemble Caprice

A great album of gypsy music, alongside works by Telemann that were inspired by this music.
One of my favorite concertos, and an amazing performance! And I found it on YouTube to share with any Baroque fans here...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RTkU1P6IaYM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RTkU1P6IaYM</a>

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #97327 on: September 13, 2017, 05:31:22 PM »
Schubert's Sonata in D Major, D850. Uchida...

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #97328 on: September 13, 2017, 06:00:32 PM »
Schubert's Sonata in D Major, D850. Uchida...

I have always loved how the energetic Scherzo suddenly turns calm, which becomes a lovely transition into the delightfully tranquil finale.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #97329 on: September 13, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
He suffers reputationally by being linked to Partch and some who used microtones serially. He's a melodist principally, with a penchant for gamelan. There's lots of gorgeous stuff on youtube. Main bersama sama is a very characteristic piece, the piano concerto is wonderful, and I especially like the Threnody for Carlos Chavez.

TD
Mahler 9, Berlin, Abbado

Thanks for the recommendations, Ken. Love Abbado's Mahler 9 by the way.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #97330 on: September 13, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »
Love Abbado's Mahler 9 by the way.

+1

kishnevi

« Reply #97331 on: September 13, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »

Disc 1/14. Mme Haas (or the record producer) sensibly arranged every disc to be a sizable self-contained Reger recital, with big set pieces interspersed with plentiful choral preludes and assorted stück. This one contains the BACH Fantasie und fugue, the Wachet auf and Wie schön leucht' uns der Morgenstern fantasies as well as various choral settings.

I'm not an expert, but both the interpretation and the instrument seem to be of great quality, and the recording is both precise and wide-ranging. Production values are excellent. At 71:05, this is the shortest disc in the set.

I should note that my initial negative reaction to this set changed as I went through it. Perhaps my ears acclimated to her approach, but it is fair to say I liked the later discs much more.

Meanwhile, I have been playing through this set the last three days. Is he GMG composer of the week.

Like Hartmann's symphonies, music I liked before I am liking even more now. Certainly one of the best SQ cycles of the 20th century.
Currently on CD 4 of 6
Quartets No 5, 9,14 Opp. 27, 80, 122.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #97332 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »
Following Schnittke’s Requiem with Silvestrov’s Four Postludes from this recording:

This disc is an unsung gem (does that make sense? ???). Anyway, I love it  :D.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #97333 on: September 13, 2017, 06:24:07 PM »
This disc is an unsung gem (does that make sense? ???). Anyway, I love it  :D.

Yes, indeed. A fine disc. I really love the Ustvolskaya and Silvestrov selections, but the Kancheli is ‘okay’. I’m not a huge fan of his music.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:27:22 PM by Mirror Image »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #97334 on: September 13, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
Meanwhile, I have been playing through this set the last three days. Is he GMG composer of the week?

Like Hartmann's symphonies, music I liked before I am liking even more now. Certainly one of the best SQ cycles of the 20th century.
Currently on CD 4 of 6
Quartets No 5, 9,14 Opp. 27, 80, 122.

It’s interesting you mentioned the Weinberg SQ cycle, because I just received it in the mail today. 8) I’m quite looking forward to giving something from the box a spin soon. As for Hartmann, I just love his music ---- the anguish, the passion, the Expressionistic demeanor of the music. One of my favorite composers.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #97335 on: September 13, 2017, 06:46:05 PM »

The 4th symphony is a very interesting work, described in the booklet notes as freely atonal. Some strange sounds are produced, which add some pimiento to this particular salsa. The Concerto grosso is quite an experience too. Two outer movements in the neo classical mould of Stravinsky's Pulcinella frame three somber, anguished, spooky ones. My first exposure to Krenek, a composer I knew only by name. Time to explore some more !

I've really been enjoying the Krenek piano concertos on Toccata.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #97336 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:30 PM »
Disc 2 in the rerun of this 3CD set with miscellaneous Bach juvenelia by Christiane Wuyts, playing a harpsichord by Henri Hemsch, 1754, and one by Jacques Goermans, 1774.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #97337 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »
As per John's recommendation, just finished listening to Lou Harrison's Symphony no. 2 Elegiac:

A meditative and often strikingly beautiful piece. However, the frequent use of a tinny-sounding "tack piano" was a bit of a turn-off for me. I'll definitely be exploring more of Harrison's music in the future.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:54:12 PM by kyjo »

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #97338 on: September 13, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
For those interested: this is what you can do when the ASIN link doesn't produce a picture (after you have checked that the code properly links to the physical CD, not the download version) and you want to avoid posting a blank picture:

You make a linked picture, consisting of the location of the image that is linked to the web page:

[ url=http://... ][ img width=380]location.jpg[/img][/url] (I have inserted a space after the 1st brackets for visibility)

An unlinked picture is naturally also a possibility....  ;)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Parsifal

« Reply #97339 on: September 13, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »
Stravinsky, Petrushka, Ansermet, OSR

Splendid!