Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8123919 times)

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #99100 on: October 08, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
Titz, Anton Ferdinand (1742-1810) - String Quartets w/ the Hoffmeister Quartet on period instruments - Titz was born in Nuremberg, moved to Vienna where he was 'discovered' by the Russian aristocracy and secured a job in St. Petersburg as the court musician to Catherine the Great; he was not quite 30 years old - lived the rest of his life in Russia. Classical Viennese style w/ Slavic influences and early romanticism - attached are Fanfare comments on the first two CDs, the second volume was reviewed by our own Jens. :)  Dave

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #99101 on: October 08, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »
Mozart: Requiem [Richter]....

This is an old school but fine version of this work. There is a wonderful energy and drive throughout the performance.

I bought this a few years ago, half-expecting to dislike it, like many of his Bach or Handel discs. Au contraire ! It's an immensely dramatic interpretation. It never cloys or crumbles under its own weight (as versions by Böhm, Giulini or Bernstein sometimes come close to). A top 3 for me.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #99102 on: October 08, 2017, 12:18:57 PM »
Op. 130 from this set:

A performance full of Classical grace and pathos, but always deeply sympathetic to the subjective fantasia-like impulses that underlay the music at its key structural moments. It strikes me how even in the revised version the disruptive elements continue to hold back the music from traditional resolution, even as far as the dissonance and fermata on the final semiquaver of the antepenultimate bar of the Finale. Here and in Op. 131 and 135 (and 95) Beethoven seems to be pointing the way towards pieces that never completely end, simply stop. Perhaps that's why he ultimately cut the Grosse Fuge, which reaches the most decisively final and wrapped up cadence in any of Beethoven's late music except the Ninth Symphony.

Also I really didn't expect a Cavatina crammed into 4:50 to work but it.... kind of does?

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #99103 on: October 08, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »

I bought this a few years ago, half-expecting to dislike it, like many of his Bach or Handel discs. Au contraire ! It's an immensely dramatic interpretation. It never cloys or crumbles under its own weight (as versions by Böhm, Giulini or Bernstein sometimes come close to). A top 3 for me.

Yes, I know where you are coming from with this and I absolutely agree with you  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #99104 on: October 08, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »
Britten: Phantasy Quartet [Galimir String Quartet members/Gomberg]....

My first time to hear this work. It is a short but very appealing work with an engaging musical language.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #99105 on: October 08, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
One of those neverending concertos: Chopin 1
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #99106 on: October 08, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
Romantische Suite, Op. 14
5 Gesange
Das Spielwerk: Prelude
Vorspiel zu einer grossen Oper

Katarina Karnéus, mezzo-soprano
Vassily Sinaisky, conductor
BBC Philharmonic Orchestra

“I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #99107 on: October 08, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
One of those neverending concertos: Chopin 1

Hmmm...a ‘never-ending concerto,’ I’m not sure whether this is being praiseworthy or snide. :-\ My bets are on the latter. ;)
“I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #99108 on: October 08, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »
Hmmm...a ‘never-ending concerto,’ I’m not sure whether this is being praiseworthy or snide. :-\ My bets are on the latter. ;)

No no, very sorry: really love it.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #99109 on: October 08, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
No no, very sorry: really love it.

Ah, I wish I felt the same way. :D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #99110 on: October 08, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
Britten: Phantasy Quartet [Galimir String Quartet members/Gomberg]....

My first time to hear this work. It is a short but very appealing work with an engaging musical language.

8)

I don’t know this performance, but Britten’s Phantasy Quartet is quite a nice work indeed. You remind me that I need to give it another listen. Do you know Britten’s SQs per chance?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #99111 on: October 08, 2017, 01:38:21 PM »
The Violin Concerto from this box:

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #99112 on: October 08, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Lobo: Missa pro defunctis [Summerly]....

The magnificent, harmonically infused music of this mass is very well served in this enchanting and enthralling performance.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #99113 on: October 08, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »

I don’t know this performance, but Britten’s Phantasy Quartet is quite a nice work indeed. You remind me that I need to give it another listen. Do you know Britten’s SQs per chance?

I am acquainted with Britten’s SQs  but only in a limited way with this very fine CD....

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #99114 on: October 08, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
I am acquainted with Britten’s SQs  but only in a limited way with this very fine CD....

A great set, aligreto! I’m hoping my Takács Quartet recording of these SQs (on Hyperion) appears in my mailbox soon. Really looking forward to hearing this superb quartet tackle these works.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #99115 on: October 08, 2017, 02:16:12 PM »
Another go at the Reger piano quartet op 133 and the string trio op 141b

Sur le Borysthène (On the Dniepr) and Kijé from this 2 disc album:

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #99116 on: October 08, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
Garth Knox: Satellites (Argus Quartet) -- Fantastic piece by the former violist for the Arditti Quartet. Heard the Argus crew do it live recently, and a second hearing proves even more satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqp4iGCqA30

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #99117 on: October 08, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »
Sur le Borysthène (On the Dnieper) and Kijé from this 2 disc album:

I love that ballet! So lyrical.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #99118 on: October 08, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »
Vivaldi: Motets [King]....

In furore iustissimae irae RV 626: The crystalline voice of York yields a wonderful rendition of this motet.
Longe mala, umbrae, terrores RV 629: The presence and weight of Denley’s voice lends a wonderful sense of gravity to this performance without it being ponderous in any way.
Clarae stellae, scintillate RV 625: The clear, well rounded voice of Bowman serves the text and music very well. His voice has weight but is not ponderous and it works its way easily through this music.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #99119 on: October 08, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
A great set, aligreto! I’m hoping my Takács Quartet recording of these SQs (on Hyperion) appears in my mailbox soon. Really looking forward to hearing this superb quartet tackle these works.

Cheers. I look forward to reading your comments on those performances when you eventually get to hear them.  :) :)

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.