Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8285994 times)

North Star, Roasted Swan and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #103920 on: December 06, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
Braga Santos - Cello concerto

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #103921 on: December 06, 2017, 06:31:36 PM »

Disc one, early works through Estampes.  (This is a super-complete set with the five discs ranging from 73 to 79 minutes.) 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

kishnevi

« Reply #103922 on: December 06, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
Hello Ken!
Tonights program

Started in on this megaset with this segment (it's organized as a group of smaller boxes inside the big one)

(The smaller boxes are available separately)
The first two CDs are essentially showpieces, encores, and short recital pieces recorded in the early to mid 1930s, when Menuhin was in his late teens.

Now, the second CD of this, as part of a new listen to the whole set. CD 1 was last night

Second Piano Sonata (Pollini), Livre pour Quatour , 1962 version (Quatour Parisii).
The first Boulez work I ever listened to was Marteau sans maitre. In retrospect it was a bad choice, because it kept me off Boulez for years. But I discovered (an idea reinforced by the current listening) that Marteau is the one work I actually dislike. The rest--perhaps I am not enthusiastic about much of it, but at least I can derive pleasure from what I hear.

And what do you know! I've got Marteau sans Maitre on now and am actually enjoying it! And it's the same performance that initially turned me off Boulez a dozen years ago, more or less.

Well, if there's hope for Marteau, perhaps there's hope for Moses und Aron.

Also tonight, the next Menuhin CD, a Prokofiev sonata, a Schubert fantasia, and three shortish pieces by Boulanger.

Offline Josquin13

« Reply #103923 on: December 06, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »
My music listening over the past couple of days has included the following,

A first hearing of Sir Michael Tippett's Symphony No. 1--from a bargain set of his complete symphonies, conducted by Richard Hickox--it definitely held my interest:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical

The Chiaroscuro Quartet playing Beethoven's String Quartet in F minor, No. 11, Op. 95.  Though I'm an avid period enthusiast, I have to admit that Beethoven's Op. 95 quartet sounds strange (& a little chaotic) on period instruments (at least here).  I'm not sure if the quartet works as well on period strings.  Maybe that's why Sigiswald Kuijken chose to record his set of "Rasumovsky" Quartets on modern instruments.  I also listened to Kuijken's HIP set, which I liked:

I then listened to some solo piano music that was new to me--works by the Belgian composer Joseph Jongen, played by pianist Gary Stegall.  I liked this music more than I expected to.  When Jongen came under the spell of French composers, he could be very interesting:

In addition, I listened to pianist Nino Gvetadze play solo piano works of Claude Debussy.  Gvetadze is an exceptionally fine young pianist, and her Debussy CD was a real find!--strongly recommended (excellent sound too):

With each new listen, John Potter's new CD, "Secret History" is growing on me.  Potter & members of Trio Medieval perform various pieces of music by Josquin, Victoria, Mouton, including motets and mass movements, with only a lute accompaniment (the excellent Jacob Heringman):

Finally, I've saved the best for last--over the past week I've been listening to the Oliver Schnyder Trio performing the complete Piano Trios of Beethoven, and have to say this is the finest set of Beethoven Piano Trios I've heard in many years!  The Schnyder trio offers exceptional playing in state of the art audiophile sound (from Sony).  I can't recall having heard better performances of this music in better sound.  Strongly recommended, and at $14-15 (currently on Amazon US) it's a screaming bargain.  (I'm now eager to hear their recording of the lesser known chamber version of Schubert's Winterreise song cycle.)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:08:56 AM by Josquin13 »

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #103924 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
And what do you know! I've got Marteau sans Maitre on now and am actually enjoying it! And it's the same performance that initially turned me off Boulez a dozen years ago, more or less.

Glad to hear that.  I find Marteau to be a stunningly beautiful and powerful work.  Original, too, but originality is hardly its best or most defining feature.

Well, if there's hope for Marteau, perhaps there's hope for Moses und Aron.

I truly believe masterpieces are for everybody (or many people, at least), not only for a select few, though some masterpieces take more time than others to get used to.

Miyoshi: Sonate pour Piano, Chaines: Preludes pour Piano, En vers, Pour le piano: Mouvement Circulaire et Croise
Yukiko Kojima

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #103925 on: December 06, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
Langgaard's String Quartet no. 1:

A warm-hearted, Romantic work with occasional passages of disturbing violence, especially in the haunting slow movement. The performance is absolutely superb in all regards. A real discovery!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #103926 on: December 06, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »
listening to a bash thru of D958 I did and in the middle of the adagio I was like "hmm. this seems a bit slow..... isn't it usually faster than this? was I playing slow"

anyway yes, turns out the timing on that was 11:01, which is indeed very slow (normal time is about 8 minutes). evidently need to speed up lmao

You did it

« Reply #103927 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »
I got so much love for this mass  :-* :-*

Janacek - Glagolitic Mass

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
  • Currently Listening to:
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
« Reply #103928 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #103929 on: December 06, 2017, 09:13:08 PM »
Langgaard's String Quartet no. 1:

A warm-hearted, Romantic work with occasional passages of disturbing violence, especially in the haunting slow movement. The performance is absolutely superb in all regards. A real discovery!

Excellent kyjo, that cycle is quite worthy of appreciating. What other works do you know by Langgaard?

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #103930 on: December 06, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »
I got so much love for this mass  :-* :-*

Janacek - Glagolitic Mass

I can't disagree!

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #103931 on: December 06, 2017, 09:40:58 PM »
The Chiaroscuro Quartet playing Beethoven's String Quartet in F minor, No. 11, Op. 95.  Though I'm an avid period enthusiast, I have to admit that Beethoven's Op. 95 quartet sounds strange (& a little chaotic) on period instruments (at least here).  I'm not sure if the quartet works as well on period strings.

That work has also been recorded by the Eroica Quartet. I remember liking it and should listen to it again.

You did it

« Reply #103932 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
Janacek - From The House Of The Dead

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #103933 on: December 06, 2017, 10:31:41 PM »
That's horrible.  I'm sorry to hear that.
A few of us are getting together this weekend, and I've reached out to other people who know in case anyone else might be struggling with similar issues. I don't think there's much more I can do though.

Also bashed thru D960, timings: 16:54 / 10:02 / 4:11 / 7:59. Playing is still terrible, but this seems a lot more manageable in terms of where my skill level is right now so should probably be the first Schubert sonata I learn. (also I guess I'm playing the first movement too fast, but that's a much better starting point than too slow, tbh)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #103934 on: December 06, 2017, 10:38:06 PM »
Earlier this week, someone I didn't know personally but who was part of my broader social circle, took their own life.

It's not an easy thing to deal with -- I've had it happen to me three times that I recall right now,  and it's disturbing, like you suddenly reason what it means to say that no man is an island.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #103935 on: December 06, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »
Symphonies by Ben-Haim and Arthur Benjamin:

Brahms: Cello Sonata No. 2 - Lenoard Rose and Jean-Bernard Pommier.  Love Rose's playing, and Pommier is also very good.

Onslow: String Quintet No. 10, Op. 32.  Delightful. (Via Tidal)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:24:27 PM by Daverz »

Offline GioCar

« Reply #103936 on: December 07, 2017, 12:20:02 AM »
Today is public holiday in Milan - celebrating Milan's patron saint, Saint Ambrose - so I do hope having extra time for listening.

Just finished

Donatoni: Abyss (1983) - the first work in the album

A 24/96 download from primephonic.com.
Unfortunately my downloaded track has a gap of a few seconds just after min. 9:00  :o (not really the first time I have had this kind of problem with Primephonic  >:() but otherwise a very interesting piece. I'm not so much familiar with Donatoni, I should explore his works more...

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #103937 on: December 07, 2017, 12:24:47 AM »
I had got this of set Liszt's Harmonies poétiques et religieuses several years ago (for a pittance), and really hadn't paid much attention to it. Todd's recent comments on Isidro Barrio's Bénédiction made me revisit it:

Obviously, Todd's assessment is much more thorough than what I can say, but even if I find this enjoyable overall, I do sense some "virtuosic mannerisms" here and there that are just a tad annoying (e.g., excessive pedal in some of the bass lines, which became "thunderous" and ultimately vulgar IMHO).

Still, what wonderful music!

Today is public holiday in Milan - celebrating Milan's patron saint, Saint Ambrose - so I do hope having extra time for listening.
Off to La scala tonight, then?  :)

Enjoy your holiday, Gio. We had a holiday here in Madrid yesterday (the Constitution day) and again tomorrow (the Immaculate Conception)...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:27:31 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline GioCar

« Reply #103938 on: December 07, 2017, 12:57:50 AM »
Off to La scala tonight, then?  :)

Enjoy your holiday, Gio. We had a holiday here in Madrid yesterday (the Constitution day) and again tomorrow (the Immaculate Conception)...

Thanks Rafael, maybe when I'll be billionaire... :D. A seat for this evening's Andrea Chénier costs in average more than 1000 Euro...

We'll have holiday tomorrow as well  :) :) :)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #103939 on: December 07, 2017, 01:14:29 AM »
Do you know von Sauer's Piano Concerto no. 1 which was recorded as part of Hyperion's Romantic PC series? It's a real gem of a work, with memorable tunes and an exquisite slow movement.

Listening to it right now.

“Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part." --- Claude Debussy