Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 6176742 times)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #112860 on: April 16, 2018, 11:02:22 AM »
Not much time for listening this weekend. Queued up Debussy's Pour le piano and Suite Bergamasques by Aldo Ciccolini.

Just what I would expect from Ciccolini, brilliant technique deployed to make the music sound effortless, a self-effacing performance that lets the music speak for itself.
A big +1 to this...I find Ciccolini’s Debussy to be a month the most appealing recordings of the music...
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #112861 on: April 16, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
The big +1 for me, is his devotion to the promotion of french composers and their music with an unrelentful energy.  Try Deodat de Sevrac complete piano works by him.  Absolutely delightful.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
« Reply #112862 on: April 16, 2018, 11:16:40 AM »
A big +1 to this...I find Ciccolini’s Debussy to be a month the most appealing recordings of the music...

I have only listened to a small fraction of this set so far, but just about everything I have listened to has been rewarding.

I got it for $55 back in 2010, I see it is back in print, though the EMI logo has been replaced by a red Erato logo. (That seems so wrong to me. I have to remind myself that these days green Erato is real Erato, red Erato is either Virgin or EMI France.)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #112863 on: April 16, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
I didn’t go for the big box, ‘cause I already have  his complete Debussy, his second cycle of Satie‘s piano music, the superb Sévérac set Spineur pointed out to us, and the Liszt collection, so there would have been too much duplication, but I’m sure there’s many jewels among Ciccolini’s complete recordings. :)
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
« Reply #112864 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
Have been slowly making my way through the Saint-Saens PC set. Also got a lot of pleasure from some of the really old concerto recordings during the mono and early stereo era, often with the Paris Conservatory orchestra. Haven't gotten to the Liszt yet, and have barely scratched the surface on Debussy and Ravel.

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #112865 on: April 16, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »
I finally managed to acquire this wonderful CD of Marc-Antoine Charpentier music interpreted by Gérard Lesne and il seminario musicale

as well as Jordi Savall disc

Some of my favorite french baroque music
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #112866 on: April 16, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »
The Lesne/Charpentier is pure delight!

--

Some more things played today:

The Scherchen Bach is amazing! It's fitting that he preferred the term "realisation" to "interpretation" - this is architectural to the max, the radio recording from 1949 is decent enough that you can hear the great clarity and purity in the music. From Magaloff, I'm repeating the Etudes by Chopin - so far the disc I enjoy most from the box (I'm not really sold on his Nocturnes and Préludes so far, will have to relisten though).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #112867 on: April 16, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
Ravel
Valses nobles et sentimentales
Queffélec

"I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #112868 on: April 16, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Last recording of the op. 25 transcription:

Sometimes quite good, as in the march of III, where the conductor ahieves a magical lilt in the rythm and airiness of textures at a very slow tempo. But ultimately the slow speeds do that record in. At 47+ minutes it’s 10 minutes slower than Craft/Chicago. It’s not the heavy trudge it was under Järvi, but this jumbo jet crashes at the end of the runway.

It appears that, out of 8 versions listened to, my favourites are also the swiftest:

1 - Dohnany WP (40 mins)
2 - Craft Chicago (38 mins)
3 - Comissiona Baltimore (42 mins)

Honourable mentions to Rattle CBSO and Craft Philharmonia.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #112869 on: April 16, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
I’m glad you’re done listening that Schoenberg orchestration of Brahms’ Piano Quartet, André. Not because it’s a bad work or a terrible orchestration, but because you’re wearing me out with all the album covers. ;) ;D
"I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #112870 on: April 16, 2018, 01:27:03 PM »
Stravinsky
Three Pieces for String Quartet
Members from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #112871 on: April 16, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »

Ernst Krenek (Vienna 1900 - Palm Springs 1991) is a composer I’ve only recently discovered. His best known work is the opera Johnny spielt auf (1925). Krenek composed in many different styles, including works with jazz influences, atonality, avant-garde, etc. He was briefly married to Gustav and Alma Mahler’s daughter, Anna.

The orchestral works at hand are all atonal and belong to his « californian » period.  Their duration is 22-28 minutes.

Horizon umkreist (Horizon Circled ) was written in 1967. It is a suite of 6 short movements hinting at the « circular » structure of the work (shades of franckian cyclism ?) and tangentially dealing with astronomical concepts such as azimut, zenith, meridian, etc. It is a striking piece, enigmatic yet communicating powerfully to the listener. Krenek is not one to lose the forest for the trees.

The second violin concerto (1954) is also atonal, but is written in a highly sensual, even beautiful idiom. I was reminded of Klimt’s painting « The Kiss ». Definitely a work that urgently calls for a repeated listening.

The Organ Concerto (1982) is more an organ-coloured sinfonietta in 4 short movements than the type of work we’d expect with such a title. The notes describe it as a dialogue between the 2 instrumental forces. It is never agressive (which I had feared), much more harmonious and euphonious than, say, Copland’s Organ Symphony. The effect is that of shifting perspectives with shafts of colour such as we’d experience in a slowly turning kaleidoscope.

All three works fully reward listening. I look forward to another hearing and hope to get acquainted with more Krenek.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #112872 on: April 16, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
I’m glad you’re done listening that Schoenberg orchestration of Brahms’ Piano Quartet, André. Not because it’s a bad work or a terrible orchestration, but because you’re wearing me out with all the album covers. ;) ;D

Why ? They’re too big ? I’ve never learned to resize them with my tablet. :(

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #112873 on: April 16, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »
Various pieces composed by Jennifer Higdon.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #112874 on: April 16, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
Why ? They’re too big ? I’ve never learned to resize them with my tablet. :(

No, all of the recordings you own of the work. :) Of course, I don’t have much room to talk. ::) ;D

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #112875 on: April 16, 2018, 03:52:57 PM »
No, all of the recordings you own of the work. :) Of course, I don’t have much room to talk. ::) ;D

In this particular case they’re cdr’s made by a friend of mine who loves the work to death. I believe he owns more recordings of the work  ::). He also made me copies of 15 versions of the Berg violin concerto for my enjoyment  ???. In the case of the Brahms/Schoenberg I didn’t like the piece before. I now love it. As for the Berg concerto, I will take my sweet time to go through them. I adore the work, but it’s a very emotional piece, not quite suitable for such a treatment, I’m afraid.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #112876 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »
Thread duty:

After the wonderful Ivanov/Kondrashin version (the exact attribution is controversial) and the disappointing Bernstein disc, here’s yet another « Leningrad », conducted by the excellent Semyon Bychkov. This is a dynamic, soulful, tragic, joyful account of this huge paean to the indomitable spirit of the People. That’s what Shostakovich had in mind in any case, and in that respect Bychkov and the Cologne orchestra hit a bull’s-eye. Excellent engineering, very natural sounding. What a splendid work when done in the right spirit !

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #112877 on: April 16, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »

It's a bit weird hearing these on modern instruments, but the Auryn Quartett plays very nicely. Reserving judgment on where I'd position them at the moment.

A lot more "beat"-based and less "electroacoustic" than I expected from his Kairos release. But there is a great sense of fun that makes it irresistible imo.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #112878 on: April 16, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
In this particular case they’re cdr’s made by a friend of mine who loves the work to death. I believe he owns more recordings of the work  ::). He also made me copies of 15 versions of the Berg violin concerto for my enjoyment  ???. In the case of the Brahms/Schoenberg I didn’t like the piece before. I now love it. As for the Berg concerto, I will take my sweet time to go through them. I adore the work, but it’s a very emotional piece, not quite suitable for such a treatment, I’m afraid.

Sounds like your friend needs to join GMG! He’d fit right in with the other wackos here just fine. :) I absolutely adore Berg’s Violin Concerto, but can’t listen to it too often for the reason you mentioned. I hope one of those performances he burned you of the Berg’s VC was the Mutter/Levine. This is my favorite performance.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #112879 on: April 16, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »
This whole recording...

This whole Hyperion series of Debussy’s mélodies has been superb. I didn’t post about Volumes 2 or 3 because I couldn’t access GMG at the time I was listening to them. I especially like Malcolm Martineau’s accompaniment throughout the series. Such a sensitive pianist with a genuine feel for the music he performs. What’s interesting is I felt these performances weren’t as good as my alleged ‘favorites’ only to find that my favorites aren’t as inspired as these performances, but I know this is just my mind playing tricks on me (per usual).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:21:19 PM by Mirror Image »