Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7259619 times)

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Timeless soundscapes...
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #114860 on: May 16, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »

Chopin: Introduction and Polonaise in C Major Op. 3
Fauré: Apres un reve
Respighi: Adagio con variazioni

Ludwig Hoelscher / Michael Raucheisen

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #114861 on: May 16, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
Mahler: Das Klagende Lied               Boulez/London SO

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:00:30 PM by Moonfish »
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #114862 on: May 16, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
Started listening to this last night, will continue today

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #114863 on: May 16, 2018, 03:13:11 PM »
Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1               Little/Handley/Royal Liverpool PO

Anna Lappé

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #114864 on: May 16, 2018, 04:02:15 PM »
Sibelius: Violin Concerto                Little/Handley/Royal Liverpool PO

Hmm, I definitely prefer Hahn as a soloist in Sibelius' concerto!

Anna Lappé

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #114865 on: May 16, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
Brahms: Piano Quartets Nos. 1 & 3          Leopold String Trio/Hamelin

Anna Lappé

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #114866 on: May 16, 2018, 04:34:47 PM »

The 25 minutes ballet suite from L’Histoire du soldat. Snippets of good music played in sequence do not a ballet make. I have another disc with the récitant and vocal actors (on Arion). It lasts an hour. Much narration to go through, but that’s how to make sense of the musical numbers. Other than that, this Supraphon disc is very characterfully played  - czech winds are so succulent and personable.

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #114867 on: May 16, 2018, 06:01:06 PM »
Daniel Barenboim Plays Chopin - The Warsaw Recital

Anna Lappé

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #114868 on: May 16, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »
Thanks once again for your continued review series.  I want you to know that I at least am reading it with interest.

+1 I didn’t know Kavakos recorded Berg’s Violin Concerto until I saw Andre’s post about it.
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #114869 on: May 16, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »
Now playing:

Monumental performance and I know some people just don’t like Bernstein’s Mahler and that’s perfectly fine, but I’ve always seemed to gravitate to it.
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #114870 on: May 16, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
Barber - Cello Concerto:

During this listening, I enjoyed this piece much more than I had before. However, I still found the finale (like that of his Violin Concerto) to tend towards empty virtuosity - it lacks the soulful lyricism of the first two movements. Ma's and Zinman's performance is excellent as far as I'm concerned.

Barber - First Essay:

A tragic, concise work that packs quite a punch in a mere eight minutes.

Raff - Symphony no. 9 Im Sommer:

One of Raff's strongest works, this symphony contains good tunes and inventive orchestration. The climax of the first movement is so gorgeous - I wish it would go on for longer!

Turina - Piano Quartet:

This was a wonderful find! I've always regretted that Falla never composed any chamber music; fortunately, Turina fits the bill here with this wonderfully sultry piano quartet.

Atterberg - Suite no. 3 for violin, viola, and string orchestra:

Beautiful music - even if it lacks the dramatic impulse and strongly memorable ideas of his symphonies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #114871 on: May 16, 2018, 09:28:08 PM »
Morning listening:

Disc 3"Encounters in Bach's house". Italian lutenist Alberto Crugnola plays music by Silvius Leopold Weiss, Ernest Gottlieb Baron, Adam Falckenhagen, Johannn Kropffgans and Karl Kohaut (originally issued on Symphonia).

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #114872 on: May 16, 2018, 11:09:16 PM »
On Wednesday, 16 MAY 2018, I listened to 1 CD.

CD 1 of a 7 CD RCA set titled "Van Cliburn plays Great Piano Concertos."  |Tr. 1-3.  P.I. Tchaikovsky (1840-93):  Piano Concerto 1 in B Flat Minor, Op. 23 (34'36)--Kyrill Kondrashin, cond., RCA Symphony Orch.  |Tr. 4-6.  F. Chopin (1810-49):  Piano Conerto 1 in E Minor, Op. 11 (41'45)--Eugene Ormandy, cond., The Philadelphia Orch.--Rec. Carnegie Hall 1958 (Tr. 1-3), Saragota Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1969 (Tr. 4-8).

The first of these recordings, of course, was the record which introduced Van Cliburn to a startled world after his victory @ the Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow.  His statement in NYC after having been honored there with a ticker tape parade can serve as an anthem for music lovers and arts educators everywhere:

"I appreciate more than you will ever know that you are honoring me, but the thing that thrills me the most is that you are honoring classical music. Because I'm only one of many. I'm only a witness and a messenger. Because I believe so much in the beauty, the construction, the architecture invisible, the importance for all generations, for young people to come that it will help their minds, develop their attitudes, and give them values. That is why I'm so grateful that you have honored me in that spirit."

Listening to this performance again after a long absence made me feel that, while it is not among my favorite performances of this work, it is far better than I had remembered it being.  And actually, another performance of the work which I like better (Graffman/Szell) will be up for review in the third CD I listen to after this one.

From Wikipedia, re: the Chopin PC 1: "Opinions of the concerto differ. Some critics feel that the orchestral support as written is dry and uninteresting, notably the critic James Huneker, who wrote in Chopin: The Man and his Music that it was “not Chopin at his very best.”  On the other hand, many others feel that the orchestral backing is carefully and deliberately written to fit in with the sound of the piano, and that the simplicity of arrangement is in deliberate contrast to the complexity of the harmony. Robert Schumann reviewed Chopin’s concerti in 1836 for the Neue Zeitschrift für Musik that  'Chopin introduces the spirit of Beethoven into the concert hall' with these pieces."

Cliburn wisely avoids showboating in this work (perhaps due to Ormandy's influence) and turns in an excellent performance.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:33:52 PM by RebLem »
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #114873 on: May 16, 2018, 11:24:00 PM »

Vorraber Schumann etudes. He takes advantage of the percussive qualities of the instrument, like he's playing woodblocks. Clear voicing, though I'm not sure this is a contrapuntal work, in the sense that the interest doesn't really come from the tension between the voices (or am I wrong about that?)  I like the tough energy of Vorraber's style, better than Weissenberg IMO, at least in Schumann.  There's a lot to explore here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:26:20 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #114875 on: May 17, 2018, 01:09:09 AM »
Bach Cantatas

Offline Biffo

« Reply #114876 on: May 17, 2018, 01:14:17 AM »
Vaughan Williams: Piano Concerto in C - Louis Lortie with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra conducted by Peter Oundjian - difficult to judge the performance as I don't know the work very well at all. The sound is congested and, for me, the piano is badly balanced and often inaudible. I followed it up with Howard Shelley and Handley/RPO, a lot more enjoyable with a clearer sound picture.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #114877 on: May 17, 2018, 01:54:36 AM »
Re: Raff's Ninth Symphony! Aha! Just what I keep thinking. Some of the orchestration in the Ninth is so utterly,ravishingly,gorgeous I can understand why Raff has such an enthusiastic following! Raff knockers who have judged this composer on the basis of the most well known and most highly rated symphony from this cycle,No 5;should check this one cd out. Listening to passages of this symphony makes me realise why Raff was so highly thought of in his day. I would personally place this on a higher level than the Fifth in respect of the sheer beauty and refinement of the orchestration. But I like them all,to be honest!! The playing and sound quality of these recordings are also top notch. And I love those Arnold Böcklin paintings they've used for the artwork. This one,in particular,is a beauty! :) :) :)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #114878 on: May 17, 2018, 01:59:25 AM »
Re: Raff's Ninth Symphony! Aha! Just what I keep thinking. Some of the orchestration in the Ninth is so utterly,ravishingly,gorgeous I can understand why Raff has such an enthusiastic following! Raff knockers who have judged this composer on the basis of the most well known and most highly rated symphony from this cycle,No 5;should check this one cd out. Listening to passages of this symphony makes me realise why Raff was so highly thought of in his day. I would personally place this on a higher level than the Fifth in respect of the sheer beauty and refinement of the orchestration. But I like them all,to be honest!! The playing and sound quality of these recordings are also top notch. And I love those Arnold Böcklin paintings they've used for the artwork. This one,in particular,is a beauty! :) :) :)

Agreed to all!
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways - either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #114879 on: May 17, 2018, 02:04:20 AM »
Reinhold Glière

Symphony No.3  Rias Symphony Orchestra

Fricsay conducting Ilya Murometz!
How exciting.
Is that part of a boxed set?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).