Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7417312 times)

milk and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #119460 on: August 10, 2018, 05:52:23 AM »

The 5th from this set is one of my favorite recordings of anything by anyone. Fantastically balanced, utterly clear and transparent, staggeringly crisply played by COE, and yet never feels clinical or museum like, with free tempi and plenty of tightly controlled fire.

Good to know you a member of the "Berglund III" Appreciation Club!  ;D

TD:

#morninglistening to #Rautavaara #ChamberMusic on @OndineRecords

: https://amzn.to/2KzTAmI

@surprisedbeauty music and subject of a recent @ClassicsToday review.

also this:

#morninglistening to #Messiaen w/#HansOlaEricsson on #BISRecords

: http://a-fwd.to/GTI5TPi

in the complete #organMusic.

Was available for a song on Amazon... and does nicely to complement the sets of Weir and Latry, methinks.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #119461 on: August 10, 2018, 06:05:43 AM »
Scherzo capriccioso

A "filler" that I'm glad they added. Though the Dvorak website points out it's quite an unusual piece for him in a lot of ways, it's a very effective and colourful exception.
Also one of my favourites, & one of the most emotionally complex pieces in his output imo.

Offline Draško

« Reply #119462 on: August 10, 2018, 06:27:58 AM »

Huge fan of Berglund III. My favorite cycle.

td

No.3

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #119463 on: August 10, 2018, 06:29:57 AM »
Good afternoon all,

From one of the Celibidache boxes :

Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition

Olivier

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #119464 on: August 10, 2018, 07:55:35 AM »

TD:

#morninglistening to #Rautavaara #ChamberMusic on @OndineRecords

: https://amzn.to/2KzTAmI

@surprisedbeauty music and subject of a recent @ClassicsToday review.

also this:

#morninglistening to #Messiaen w/#HansOlaEricsson on #BISRecords

: http://a-fwd.to/GTI5TPi

in the complete #organMusic.

Was available for a song on Amazon... and does nicely to complement the sets of Weir and Latry, methinks.

I have decided to purchase the Messiaen box with Ericsson. ;)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #119465 on: August 10, 2018, 07:59:24 AM »
I have decided to purchase the Messiaen box with Ericsson. ;)

I've only dipped into it, so far, but what I've heard has absolutely delighted me, so far.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #119466 on: August 10, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
I've only dipped into it, so far, but what I've heard has absolutely delighted me, so far.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/June09/Messiaen_organ-Biscd177072.htm

I have Latry,Thiry,Willem Tanke and Jennifer Bate and they all have their merits and I'm glad to have them.Thiry is my last purchase but unfortunately the cd's are not without clicks and distortions on two of the three cd's.
To be on the safe side I purchased a LP box quite cheap ( 3 lp's)

Enjoy your Messiaen !  :)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #119467 on: August 10, 2018, 09:13:35 AM »
Bach, JS - Goldberg Variations on clavichords:  Jaroslav Tuma vs. Michael Tsalka - both keyboardists play two different clavichords, which are modern reproductions as described in the quotes below - reviews of the Tsalka recording attached; could not find a Tuma review - I liked both performances which are well recorded; Tuma was somewhat smoother and less aggressive in his playing; Tsalka's instruments are more 'up front' in the recording - try to listen to snippets and/or check on Spotify before buying, if interested; plus, the Tuma recording is 2 discs w/ the Goldbergs also played on harpsichord.  Dave :)

Tuma's Clavichords: All three instruments used in the recording were built by Martin Kather in Hamburg - a large instrument built in 2002 and based on an original of 1761 by the organ-maker David Tannenberg, (whose parents came from Moravia) living at the end of the 18th century in Pennsylvania, was used for the recording of the Goldberg Variations as the first manual. It is what is known as the unbound type of clavichord with a range of six octaves CC – c4.  On top of it stood a small instrument with a range of 4? octaves AA-e3, which is a copy of a clavichord of 1787 built by Christian Gottlob Hubert of Ansbach. This copy, completed in  2004, is from the private collection of Diez Eichler.

Tsalka's Clavichords:For this recording, I chose two instruments built by Sebastian Niebler: a clavichord with a lyrical timbre, based on a 1796 instrument by Johann Christoph Georg Schiedmayer (now housed at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts) and a more robust instrument based on South German and Swedish models from the late 18th century (ie clavichords by Christian Gottlob Hubert, Jacob Specken and Johann Christoph Georg Schiedmayer). Some listeners might wonder if I had a system of assigning specific variations to each instrument. This was not the case; quite a few decisions were taken in the spur of the moment, an intuitive response to the technical and expressive requirements found in each variation.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #119468 on: August 10, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »

Although not the last word in excitement, these 1974 performances are big-boned and vibrant, superbly played and recorded.

No 2 is with the Concertgebouw Orchestra, no 5 with the Boston Symphony.

Offline BPS

• aka Judge Fish
« Reply #119469 on: August 10, 2018, 09:21:17 AM »
Hume: Captain Humes Poeticall Musicke, Vol. 1
Les Voix Humaines el al
Naxos

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #119470 on: August 10, 2018, 09:32:32 AM »
Rachmaninoff - Symphony no. 3:

I had previously underestimated this work - I now place it pretty much on par with his first two symphonies, which I adore. As in the Symphonic Dances which came a few years later, Rachmaninoff shows a masterly command of orchestration and thematic manipulation in this work. The return of the opening chant-like motto theme at the end of the first movement is a master-stroke, as is the inclusion of a scintillating scherzo at the center of the magical slow movement. The energetic finale is perhaps a bit episodic, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of this work. Edo de Waart and the Rotterdam Philharmonic exhibit great understanding of and passion for this marvelous score.

Copland - Symphony no. 3:

Another fantastic third symphony. I'm not the biggest fan of Copland's output in general, but the Third Symphony and Appalachian Spring are two works which really resonate with me. This is an absolutely epic and stunningly atmospheric work, reflecting the strength of the American spirit during wartime. Yoel Levi and the Atlanta SO give a fantastic performance with the powerful brass and percussion writing caught with gripping immediacy by the Telarc engineers. That bass drum was making my car shake!  :D

Canning - Fantasy on a Hymn Tune by Justin Morgan and Brubeck - Orchestral Suite from Joy in the Morning:

Picked up this interestingly-programmed CD for dirt cheap at my local Half-Price Books (the other works on the CD are Hovhaness' Mysterious Mountain, the second movement from Steve Rouse's Into the Light, and Strauss' Death and Transfiguration). The Canning is a very beautiful piece for string orchestra clearly inspired by VW's Tallis Fantasia. I had no idea that Dave Brubeck had composed any "classical" works - and, based on the quality of the suite on this disc, there's probably a reason why I didn't know that. The orchestration is uncomfortably brass-heavy and the work as a whole lacks much of the charm and interest of his jazz compositions.

Poulenc - Organ Concerto (George Malcolm/ASMF/Iona Brown):

Leave it to Poulenc to compose an organ concerto which encapsulates "Gothic" horror, perky neoclassicism, religious solemnity, and everything in between! Of course, it's a highly entertaining work played to the hilt here.

Beethoven - Piano Sonata no. 6 in F major:

One of Beethoven's most compact and charming piano sonatas. The second movement is quite haunting and the quasi-fugal finale is a hugely fun romp. Lortie plays with great lucidity and character.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:36:03 AM by kyjo »
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #119471 on: August 10, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
Chávez: Symphonies Nos. 3, 2 & 6 (because anyone can listen to them in order, right?)
London SO/Mata

Wow! No. 6 is amazing, with a huge Passacaglia with 34 variations as its finale. Fantastic writing for woodwinds and brass. I almost feel like the woodwinds are the dominant texture in the symphonies I've heard so far

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #119472 on: August 10, 2018, 10:21:02 AM »
Buxtehude

Passacaglia   organ Piet Kee

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #119473 on: August 10, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »
Buxtehude

CD 1

Offline BPS

• aka Judge Fish
« Reply #119474 on: August 10, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »
Buxtehude: Sonatas with Cornett and Organ
Le Concert Brisé, William Dongois
Accent

Some of Buxte's trio sonatas, played on cornett, sackbutt, and organ.  Plus a few solo organ works thrown in for variety.

I think organ and any kind of horn (even trumpet) is always a nice combination.  These works sound swell.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:21:58 PM by Bubbles »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #119475 on: August 10, 2018, 01:22:08 PM »
Two works by Mieczyslaw Weinberg:

Symphony No. 5

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7922672--weinberg-symphonies-volume-1

(Amazon has decided that this is out of print and is becoming increasingly useless in this regard.)

Violin Concerto

Though I have an older issue on Olympia

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #119476 on: August 10, 2018, 05:42:25 PM »
2 recordings of Le Sacre that sit to the antipodes of each other:

I found both absolutely amazing, esp in their almost fanatical singlemindedness.

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #119477 on: August 10, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
One of my all-time favorite guitar recordings. Amazing playing (so full of color and dynamics) and great sound that derives from a 30 ips master tape.

"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #119478 on: August 10, 2018, 06:33:23 PM »
I'm trying all 3 versions of Bridge's Sir Roger de Coverley (A Christmas Dance), because it's one of his most fun pieces.

1. String quartet original (1922)
2. Full orchestra version (1922)
3. String orchestra version (1939)

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #119479 on: August 10, 2018, 08:27:16 PM »
VIVALDI:  6 Bassoon concertos
Daniel Smith, bassoon     English Chamber Orch.   Philip Ledger
I hadn't heard these for a long time, pleasantly diverting
Lennox BERKELEY: Serenade for Strings     Michael BERKELEY: Coronach
TIPPETT: Little Music for Strings    Fantasia Concertante on a theme of Corelli
English String Orch...William Boughton
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."