Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7561915 times)

Offline Zeus

• formerly Judge Fish
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #119480 on: August 10, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
Giving this one another spin:

Cantigas de Santa María
Barbora Kabátková, Hana Blažíková, Margit Ubellacker, Martin Novák
Phi

Gorgeous sound; maybe too gorgeous if you're looking for authenticity.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:35:58 PM by Bubbles »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #119481 on: August 10, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »
Vivaldi: Four Seasons [Flanders Recorder Quartet]

This version, although it is in the novelty category, this version is one that I have always liked. Obviously the textures are very light with clean lines down to a bare minimum. Obviously a recorder quartet does not have the weight or authority of a small orchestra so lots of the drama is not there (e.g. storms) but I have always liked it and I still find it intimate and somewhat intriguing.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #119482 on: August 10, 2018, 11:00:40 PM »
The Symphony for string quartet and large orchestra (1943), an impressive 'war symphony' by Belgian composer Jean Rogister (1879-1964):   

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #119483 on: August 10, 2018, 11:40:52 PM »
Soler: Harpsichord Sonata No. 22 [Rowland]

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #119484 on: August 11, 2018, 12:12:40 AM »
A rerun of this recording of music by Chiara Margarita Cozzolani (1602-ca.1677):

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #119485 on: August 11, 2018, 12:20:58 AM »
Good morning all,

A little wander through the Lieder ohne Worte this morning  :)

Olivier

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #119486 on: August 11, 2018, 01:02:13 AM »
Good morning Papy Oli.

This morning a little wander through some Lieder mit Worte for me with a selection from this CD

Strong, robust performances from Ludwig.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #119487 on: August 11, 2018, 01:04:55 AM »
Chávez: Symphony No. 5
London SO/Mata

Scored for strings alone, the long first movement ends with some extraordinary sonorities, with violins in their highest register.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #119488 on: August 11, 2018, 01:16:45 AM »
That is actually the second movement (the Mata recording is not well tracked, w movements 1 & 2 on one track and movement 3 on the second), for what it's worth.

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #119489 on: August 11, 2018, 01:48:00 AM »
Good morning Papy Oli.

This morning a little wander through some Lieder mit Worte for me with a selection from this CD

Strong, robust performances from Ludwig.

Robust yes, but  not in  Wagnerian proportions.  ;) She is well  suited to sing these  sensitive songs.
She is really an artist  I love to listen to. Schubert, Mahler, Brahms, the Wesendonck Lieder, she is wonderful  in many  departements.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #119490 on: August 11, 2018, 02:05:41 AM »

I’m enjoying this, more than the previous volumes. I don’t say that’s necessarily a reflection on Belder or the music, it’s more likely to be that I’m in the mood. Maybe time to revisit the previous volumes of what’s turned out to be a bit of a monument, a serious achievement for Belder and Brilliant.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #119491 on: August 11, 2018, 03:26:55 AM »
The Symphony for string quartet and large orchestra (1943), an impressive 'war symphony' by Belgian composer Jean Rogister (1879-1964):   

Sound interesting! Never heard of him.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
« Reply #119492 on: August 11, 2018, 03:31:32 AM »
Sound interesting! Never heard of him.
Rogister is too much from the Franck school to be of total interest for me - but this Third (as I should have added) holds a special place. The concept - SQ raising 'against' the full orchestra - reminds of the Tallis Fantasia. I think I saw André posting about it, an no doubt Peter (pmje) knows much more about him.  :)
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #119493 on: August 11, 2018, 03:36:33 AM »
Rogister is too much from the Franck school to be of total interest for me - but this Third (as I should have added) holds a special place. The concept - SQ raising 'against' the full orchestra - reminds of the Tallis Fantasia. I think I saw André posting about it, an no doubt Peter (pmje) knows much more about him.  :)

Ok thanks Johan. Sadly no CD release as far as I can see. Is the style at all like Tournemire whose music I greatly admire?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #119494 on: August 11, 2018, 04:02:53 AM »
Beethoven

His 7th symphony

When I sold my LP's it was clear that I would go for the best edition,soundwise speaking.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #119495 on: August 11, 2018, 04:24:39 AM »
Telemann: Tafelmusik, Production III [Goebel]

The musicianship is exemplary and the production and recording are of the highest quality which manifests itself in the wonderful sound of the textures of the instruments. This is refined and sophisticated music making which has a very easy flow to it. The Concert is a stand out movement in this section with those wonderful sounding horns. The Trio section is charming and the Solo section is also notable for its singing oboe lines. The programme is wonderfully wound up with gusto in the final Conclusion.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #119496 on: August 11, 2018, 04:26:17 AM »
  Robust yes, but  not in  Wagnerian proportions.  ;) She is well  suited to sing these  sensitive songs.
She is really an artist  I love to listen to. Schubert, Mahler, Brahms, the Wesendonck Lieder, she is wonderful  in many  departements.

Oh, I would be interested in that. Thank you for mentioning it.

Online Traverso

• Veteran member

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
« Reply #119498 on: August 11, 2018, 05:00:57 AM »
Ok thanks Johan. Sadly no CD release as far as I can see. Is the style at all like Tournemire whose music I greatly admire?
No, I can't hear much of Tournemire here. Rather Vincent d'Indy, though I'm very little at home in the Franck school and will thankfully stand corrected by the better informed. It IS a CD though, released in 1987. Now playing, courtesy one Vandermolen:  :D

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #119499 on: August 11, 2018, 05:03:13 AM »

I purchased it directly from Musique en Wallonie. The price shown includes shipping:

http://www.musiwall.ulg.ac.be/spip.php?page=fiche&id_article=152

Rogister has his own individual voice, certainly less romantic (some would say gushing) than Franck. I find his music very focused without being terse or spiky. It’s impressive stuff. I got the feeling that the composer meant every note he wrote and wouldn’t write a superfluous one. His  string quartets (there’s a disc of # 2 and 6) share these characteristics.