Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7718869 times)

HIPster (+ 1 Hidden) and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #121740 on: September 21, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »

Yet another totally original interpretation of a masterpiece by my favorite active conductor-orchestra combo. Take note especially in the first movement: One of the most famously revolutionary dissonances in the history has never, ever, ever been recorded like this before.

Apparently the one of the most famously revolutionary dissonances in history that I have never heard of. Pardon my ignorance, but what are you talking about? The bit where the horn seems to enter early?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:35:16 PM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy - “Tragédie, Comédie”
« Reply #121741 on: September 21, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »
Jacques Lenot’s most interesting late-serial vocal music:

Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #121742 on: September 21, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »
Apparently the one of the most famously revolutionary dissonances in history that I have never heard of. Pardon my ignorance, but what are you talking about? The bit where the horn seems to enter early?
That's one - another (edit: and the one which I meant) at the climax a bit earlier which builds up to the harsh sound of trumpets on the "wrong" note.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:44:16 PM by Brian »

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #121743 on: September 21, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »
And he's quite proud of it.  ;D "You've never heard it like that!" he's recently grinned at me. [Yes, I see the humble-brag. Sorry.]

It's been sitting on my desk, unopened, for a whole week, because I wanted to make time to REALLY listen to it.
Good on you - it definitely reminded me that listening to such a piece should be an event, bookended by some moments of silence to contemplate the journey. I didn't continue to the Strauss. Some performances are not conducive to the GMG mode of listening to CDs for 5 hours at a time...!

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #121744 on: September 21, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »

Yet another totally original interpretation of a masterpiece by my favorite active conductor-orchestra combo. Take note especially in the first movement: One of the most famously revolutionary dissonances in the history has never, ever, ever been recorded like this before.

Just streamed today at work, Brian. Not ideal on the earbuds but just couldn't wait. Excellent performance of the Eroica, haven't listened to the Concerto yet. Again, similar to their 5th and 7th of LvB, there is a level of intensity and excitement from this combo that is unmatched these days.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy - “Tragédie, Comédie”
« Reply #121745 on: September 21, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
A classic Domaine Musical program, recorded live in 1956 (conducted by Rudolf Albert):

The CD reissue includes Jean-Claude Eloy’s Équivalences as a bonus (conducted by Boulez in 1964).

From this set:

Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Offline JBS

• If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #121746 on: September 21, 2018, 03:50:02 PM »
First listen to this work. The liner notes try to eludicate the differences in the source material. What emerges in this recording is a post-Weill chamber ooera.

Stranahan House Ft Lauderdale Fl

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #121747 on: September 21, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »

Siegmund von Hausegger is well known as a conductor for having introduced the ‘real’ Bruckner 5th and 9th symphonies to audiences in the early 30s, playing the corrupt Löwe edition and the new Haas/Orel edition back to back in the same concerts. He made the first recording of the 9th with his orchestra, the Munich Philharmonic. One of his conducting students at the Munich Conservatory was Eugen Jochum.

As a composer he is influenced by Liszt and Reger, but I also detect some Busoni and (maybe) Scriabine. All the works presented in the CPO series (including the Natursymphonie) are major discoveries. Potent, intoxicating stuff.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #121748 on: September 21, 2018, 06:30:36 PM »

Offline JBS

• If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #121749 on: September 21, 2018, 06:56:56 PM »
This is very much a very good Pathetique. Looking forward to his M6

Stranahan House Ft Lauderdale Fl

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #121750 on: September 21, 2018, 07:02:16 PM »

Just streamed today at work, Brian. Not ideal on the earbuds but just couldn't wait. Excellent performance of the Eroica, haven't listened to the Concerto yet. Again, similar to their 5th and 7th of LvB, there is a level of intensity and excitement from this combo that is unmatched these days.

Will be interested if anyone else hears this...during the final bars of the ending coda with the three tutti E flat Major chords, there seems to be a very quick edit on the first chord. The orchestra ascends to the first chord and then I can hear a small clip, mostly the reverb of the timpani seems to give it away. Perhaps it's not as it seems, and it doesn't ruin it for me, but I'll always notice it now.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #121751 on: September 21, 2018, 07:59:43 PM »

Marco Longhini plays a sweet, cute, Verdelot mass setting, with motets by Verdelot breaking up the ordinarium. I like this very much.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:01:47 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #121752 on: September 21, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »

It’s very thrilling all the way through the first movement, no easing off, or very little. I thought it was fun to hear, partly because it’s so well recorded and the sound is pretty transparent. I haven’t heard the rest.

One thing I kept thinking to myself was that the tempo and the clear incisive pulse helps prepare the ground for the ballet music in the 4th movement, like this first movement is Napoleon dancing or something.

A happy Eroica! I wonder if he puts the fun in the funeral march - it’ll have to wait.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:24:12 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #121753 on: September 21, 2018, 08:26:05 PM »

Siegmund von Hausegger is well known as a conductor for having introduced the ‘real’ Bruckner 5th and 9th symphonies to audiences in the early 30s, playing the corrupt Löwe edition and the new Haas/Orel edition back to back in the same concerts. He made the first recording of the 9th with his orchestra, the Munich Philharmonic. One of his conducting students at the Munich Conservatory was Eugen Jochum.

As a composer he is influenced by Liszt and Reger, but I also detect some Busoni and (maybe) Scriabine. All the works presented in the CPO series (including the Natursymphonie) are major discoveries. Potent, intoxicating stuff.

Wow, this is uncanny, earlier today I played the Barbarossa CD and I agree completely with you. It's one of my best CDs of this year. Epic in a big scale! The another one is fascinating too.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #121754 on: September 21, 2018, 10:04:35 PM »
Morning listening:

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #121755 on: September 21, 2018, 10:12:14 PM »

One of my most cherished boxes. Danzi was a consumate master of this most enjoyable genre.

Reicha, Krommer, Cartellieri and Crusell have also produced true gems in the medium, do check them out.

Mine too!  :) And it is the period wind instruments that give the music that extra quality and charm that I need.
Thanks for the recommended composers.  :)
I have (some) Krommer covered with these great recordings:

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #121756 on: September 21, 2018, 11:11:49 PM »
Next:

Hat tip HIPster:)

The frottola can increasingly be seen as a central musical genre of the Italian Renaissance, although it has been ignored for some time. The various poetic forms used in frottole act as a bridge between the Italian medieval idioms and those of the full-fledged Renaissance madrigal. However, more than that, the frottola was motivated sonically largely be a desire to separate main line and accompaniment, and of course this trend was to prove extremely significant. In many cases, songs in this style are produced by reducing polyphonic songs to main line and accompaniment, frequently by way of intabulation. Improvisation also played a large role in this development, and the frottola writers drew upon a broad range of sources, from the most learned polyphony to popular songs.

The context of the songs may have been a variety of social settings, including theatre. The two main composers in the genre, Marchetto Cara and Bartolomeo Tromboncino, were both from Verona and both were associated with the court of Isabella d'Este. She is thus seen as central to the development of the frottola. The frottola also was important in the early days of musical printing, as it was some of the first repertory to appear from Petrucci.

The source of the present program is the collection made by the lutenist Franciscus Bossinensis as published in Venice in 1509. Frottola publications were widespread in this period, but disappeared equally quickly by the 1540s. The present performance adpots a varied accompaniment, incorporating some improvisation and alternation.

Details: http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/svs33516.htm

Q
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:24:58 PM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #121757 on: September 22, 2018, 02:00:55 AM »
Prokofiev
Piano Concertos nos. 1, 4 & 5
Krainev
RSO Frankfurt
Kitaenko

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #121758 on: September 22, 2018, 02:11:01 AM »
I have an earlier edition, but this is the newest release:

Haven't listened to this for quite a while, but what an awesome recording.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #121759 on: September 22, 2018, 02:34:28 AM »
Both symphonies:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).