Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7708474 times)

Mandryka, SonicMan46 and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #122740 on: October 11, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
Moussorgsky: Boris Godounov, Highlights [Cluytens]

Highlights only but a strong, dark, exciting and tension filled performance from all concerned.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122741 on: October 11, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
Bernard Herrmann conducts The Planets.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #122742 on: October 11, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »
From the Waxman-scored film Taras Bulba, The Ride to Dubno, a thrilling scene both musically and visually.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #122743 on: October 11, 2018, 12:24:33 PM »

One of my favorite Planets...although I assume I'm almost alone here.   Peter Power Pop ranked it near the bottom of his epic journey through all the available recorded Planets.

Sarge
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:27:34 PM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #122744 on: October 11, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »
One of my favorite Planets...although I assume I'm almost alone here.   Peter Power Pop ranked it near the bottom of his epic journey through all the available recorded Planets.

Sarge

I like it too. It has tons of personality, as everything Herrmann conducted.  :)

Online Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #122745 on: October 11, 2018, 12:37:24 PM »

Sarge

I'm sure Lorin Maazel/Orchestre National de France is even worse, and hence better.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122746 on: October 11, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 9 & 10 [Schnabel]

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122747 on: October 11, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »

I have not heard it but it seems to be getting some praise here.

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #122748 on: October 11, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
for violin and harp
Sonatas by BOIELDIEU and SPOHR, pieces by SAINT-SAËNS, ROSSINI and DONIZETTI
Josef Suk, violin     Dagmar Platilova, harp
Martin-Joseph MENGAL: Wind Quintets    one each on works of Beethoven, Rossini, Haydn and Mozart
Das Reicha'sche Quintett

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:05:28 PM by listener »
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #122749 on: October 11, 2018, 01:45:21 PM »
I'm trying to enjoy this new release, but the tree trimmers next door are making that difficult--even with sealed headphones! Anyway, from what I can tell, it's wonderful.

"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #122750 on: October 11, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
I have not heard it but it seems to be getting some praise here.

Ouch - not from me!  I admire Herrmann and I usually like Decca but this is a heavy-handed coarse reading to my ear.  So many other preferable versions.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122751 on: October 11, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »
Narciso Yepes playing a variety of works

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122752 on: October 11, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »
Ouch - not from me!  I admire Herrmann and I usually like Decca but this is a heavy-handed coarse reading to my ear.  So many other preferable versions.

OK. Interesting to get a contrarian viewpoint here. As already stated I have not heard this version so I cannot comment. However, all individual comments are valid for me; the overall assessment is one of balance and then, critically, one’s own ears. This one remains yet to be determined for me.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #122753 on: October 11, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »

September 23, 1960 at the Royal Festival Hall, London. UK premiere of the 8th under Mrawinsky. A titanic performance from the Leningraders, and a titanic response from the audience: it seems that all the coughers in the UK gathered at the RFH on that night. It’s a miracle that the symphony still has an impact on the listener under these circumstances. Like I said, the performance is quite extraordinary, and the sound is very good.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #122754 on: October 11, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »
Morning listening to a disc that arrived yesterday:

I'm now ready for the issue of volume 4!  8)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122755 on: October 11, 2018, 10:17:06 PM »

Sarge

You're not alone Sarge - it's one of my favourites too (and Andre liked it as well). I really loved hearing it again yesterday. The opening of Mars is terrifically intimidating. Sections of the score reminded me of Herrmann's own music for 'Jason and the Argonauts'! I think this was the wonderful 'Saturn' where the relentless tread of the music brought to mind 'Talos' the bronze giant from the film. I think that Herrmann's is the slowest performance of the Planets and about 57 minutes (Svetlanov's appears to be the next slowest). I've often admired Herrmann's conducting, not least Raff's 5th Symphony which was my introduction to that fine work. The double Eloquence Holst set is full of great stuff like Boult's 'Egdon Heath' etc. I do agree that the vocal fade-out at the end of Neptune sounds a bit 'electronic' rather than natural. However, the recording, as a whole, I found phenomenal.

Interesting that two of my favourite recordings of 'The Planets Suite' are by American conductors, Steinberg and Herrmann although Boult, who conducted the first performance, brings a special quality to his various recordings of the work.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:23:49 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122756 on: October 11, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »
From the Waxman-scored film Taras Bulba, The Ride to Dubno, a thrilling scene both musically and visually.

Sarge

Possibly the best CD in that fine series. 'Bride of Frankenstein' is my favourite. Also there's that odd coincidence between 'A Place in the Sun' and Shostakovich's 11th Symphony:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzti-u2yd3o

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122757 on: October 11, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »

September 23, 1960 at the Royal Festival Hall, London. UK premiere of the 8th under Mrawinsky. A titanic performance from the Leningraders, and a titanic response from the audience: it seems that all the coughers in the UK gathered at the RFH on that night. It’s a miracle that the symphony still has an impact on the listener under these circumstances. Like I said, the performance is quite extraordinary, and the sound is very good.

A wonderful performance I agree.

Offline Biffo

« Reply #122758 on: October 12, 2018, 12:39:02 AM »
You're not alone Sarge - it's one of my favourites too (and Andre liked it as well). I really loved hearing it again yesterday. The opening of Mars is terrifically intimidating. Sections of the score reminded me of Herrmann's own music for 'Jason and the Argonauts'! I think this was the wonderful 'Saturn' where the relentless tread of the music brought to mind 'Talos' the bronze giant from the film. I think that Herrmann's is the slowest performance of the Planets and about 57 minutes (Svetlanov's appears to be the next slowest). I've often admired Herrmann's conducting, not least Raff's 5th Symphony which was my introduction to that fine work. The double Eloquence Holst set is full of great stuff like Boult's 'Egdon Heath' etc. I do agree that the vocal fade-out at the end of Neptune sounds a bit 'electronic' rather than natural. However, the recording, as a whole, I found phenomenal.

Interesting that two of my favourite recordings of 'The Planets Suite' are by American conductors, Steinberg and Herrmann although Boult, who conducted the first performance, brings a special quality to his various recordings of the work.

I came to the complete Planets relatively late and it was a live performance by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra conducted by Andrew Litton. A few years ago BBC R3 Building a Library chose Yoel Levi and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (rather than the usual suspects) as its top choice. It is a fine performance, as is Steinberg/Boston SO. Another recording with an American connection is Mehta/LAPO; when the Planets was discussed in another (now defunct) forum a few years ago several contributors had this recording as their top choice. I find it beautifully played and recorded but also totally bland.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122759 on: October 12, 2018, 12:43:34 AM »
Muffat: Armonico Tributo, Sonatas Nos. 4 & 5 [Goodman/Holman]

These are wonderful works that are well performed here. The instrumental line up is 2 violins, 2 violas, 1 cello, 1 violone, 1 theorbo and 1 harpsichord. While the sound is intimate and the textures are clear the recording is such that the overall sound is very full. These are charming works that are given wonderfully gentle and engaging performances.