Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7420887 times)

2dogs and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #122760 on: October 12, 2018, 01:00:03 AM »
One of my favorite Planets...although I assume I'm almost alone here.   Peter Power Pop ranked it near the bottom of his epic journey through all the available recorded Planets.

Sarge
And mine. Just listening to Herrmann's Mars,makes me wish he could have had a crack at Mahler's Seventh! ??? ;D

And then there's this recording,which Mike Batt conducted,after picking up litter on Wimbledon Common!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #122761 on: October 12, 2018, 01:29:58 AM »
Muffat: Armonico Tributo, Sonatas Nos. 4 & 5 [Goodman/Holman]

These are wonderful works that are well performed here. The instrumental line up is 2 violins, 2 violas, 1 cello, 1 violone, 1 theorbo and 1 harpsichord. While the sound is intimate and the textures are clear the recording is such that the overall sound is very full. These are charming works that are given wonderfully gentle and engaging performances.

Indeed  a  fine  recording.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122762 on: October 12, 2018, 01:31:01 AM »
Mozart: Horn Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 [Pyatt/Marriner]

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #122763 on: October 12, 2018, 01:46:18 AM »
Cd No 2,of this set! This is a favourite recording;although,not my favourite! Okay,my favourite stereo recording! My Karajan set is of the stereo version. Athough,as a member pointed out here. You don't need stereo for that one! ::) ;D I also enjoyed the Kleiber recording,recently.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #122764 on: October 12, 2018, 01:59:48 AM »
With my latest purchases arriving, I can now properly start one of my listening projects that I'm particularly looking forward to: the complete orchestral works of Sibelius.**

First thing of all: Two (German) Chorales he wrote in Berlin in 1889.

Do they sound characteristic? Not to any great degree. But they're also not mere juvenilia. Sibelius had composed considerable amounts of chamber music by this point.

**Because I now own... probably over 80% of them, instead of about 30%. I can only focus so much with streaming.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122765 on: October 12, 2018, 02:22:31 AM »
Reicha: Wind Quintet Op. 99/6 [Michael Thompson Wind Quintet]

This is a large scale [over 37 minutes here] and a really very engaging and extensive four movement work that is filled with inventive, refined, intriguing, entertaining and stimulating music. The performances are really very good and are captured in an excellent recording. A very high recommendation.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #122766 on: October 12, 2018, 02:33:28 AM »
Item(s) no.2 on the Sibelius orchestral works journey:

The Overture in E and Scene de Ballet, both from 1891 and originally intended to be the first 2 movements of a symphony before he gave up on that idea.

Both works/movements are perhaps slightly too enthusiastic to keep presenting melodies, and so don't have as much shape as they might. They sometimes sound a bit like film music for an adventure movie (though of course written quite some time before such soundtracks existed). But the ability to orchestrate is already shining through here.

The Scene de Ballet heavily features castanets. That's not something you say everyday about a proposed symphonic movement.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #122767 on: October 12, 2018, 02:53:00 AM »
Messiaen

Les Corps Glorieux (1939)
Verset pour la fête de la Dédicace (1960)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122768 on: October 12, 2018, 03:21:43 AM »
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 [Markevitch]

This is inherently a powerful and emotional work and those aspects are reflected in this buoyant and assertive performance. This is a less dark and fatalistic approach to this work when compared to other interpretations that I have heard and this is a particularly interesting aspect of this interpretation. The strings, brass and woodwinds all perform admirably under the tight directorship of Markevitch.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #122769 on: October 12, 2018, 03:36:03 AM »

The Gradual in this mass is possibly the best Gregorian style singing I’ve ever heard. Mary Berry pianoeered new ideas about rhythm - I’m not exactly sure what the ideas were but, my word, the effect in this singing is astonishing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #122770 on: October 12, 2018, 03:43:22 AM »
After some internal debate, and calculating this will finish a few minutes before midnight, I've decided it's worth going on to listen to...

Kullervo.

Offline Biffo

« Reply #122771 on: October 12, 2018, 03:45:49 AM »
 Dvorak: Scherzo capriccioso; Slavonic Rhapsody No 3 - Paavo Berglund conducting the Staatskapelle Dresden

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #122772 on: October 12, 2018, 04:29:41 AM »
Machaut

I think That it is a good day for the "Messe de Notre Dame".

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122773 on: October 12, 2018, 04:34:24 AM »
Sibelius: Symphony No. 4 [Berglund]

I refer to this work as The Dark One and this is a very dark, profound and emotional interpretation of this work. Sparse and bleak, the work obviously reflects what was happening in the composer’s life at the time and I feel that Berglund really captures the emotion very well. This is a powerful, atmospheric and very compelling performance. There is no drama here, merely emotional intensity. It is a majestic performance with great presence. If you do not know it, treat yourself; you will not be disappointed.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #122774 on: October 12, 2018, 04:47:55 AM »
Interesting that two of my favourite recordings of 'The Planets Suite' are by American conductors, Steinberg and Herrmann although Boult, who conducted the first performance, brings a special quality to his various recordings of the work.

The very different Steinberg and Herrmann are also my favorites: Steinberg's Mars is a blitzkrieg performance compared to Herrmann's grinding war of attrition. Coming in at third place is another American, Bernstein. But I do like Boult too ('78).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #122775 on: October 12, 2018, 04:50:57 AM »
Lyatoshynsky: Symphony No. 2
Ukrainian State SO/Kuchar

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #122776 on: October 12, 2018, 05:04:10 AM »
Satie: Gymnopedie Nos. 1-3 & Nocturne No. 4 [Rogé]

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #122777 on: October 12, 2018, 05:13:15 AM »
Possibly the best CD in that fine series.

Last night Mrs. Rock and I watched the BBC Four documentary Sound of Cinema: The Music That Made the Movies Part 1. That prompted a listen to Gerhard's Waxman CD.

Also there's that odd coincidence between 'A Place in the Sun' and Shostakovich's 11th Symphony:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzti-u2yd3o

One of my favorite games: spot the influence :D Thanks for the link. Most interesting.

Sarge
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:19:59 AM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Biffo

« Reply #122778 on: October 12, 2018, 05:14:07 AM »
Saint-Saens: Symphony No 1 in E flat - Vienna Symphony Orchestra conducted by Georges Pretre

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #122779 on: October 12, 2018, 05:17:36 AM »
One of the best productions of Graindelavoix!

I think you'll appreciate this review Harry, in truth I was very impressed by his way of constructing the argument, and I learned some things about (inter alia) Titian

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6Uec85gC7m4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6Uec85gC7m4</a>
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen