Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7748627 times)

pi2000, Irons, San Antone and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #124800 on: November 17, 2018, 07:02:07 AM »

At first encounter,  I felt somewhat cheated since this recording mainly contains contemporary arrangements of violin/trio sonatas. 
Some of which are familiar repertoire.

But recorder fans will undoubtedly enjoin the wondeful performances.

Q

Well at least she is pretty, that must count too :)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #124801 on: November 17, 2018, 07:07:11 AM »

Over the last week, thanks to streaming, I got to sample the entire new Borodin Quartet DSCH set before deciding whether to buy.  The playing is very fine, and even streaming the sound is up to date, but I can't say that it has the impact of the older, Melodiya cycle.  That written, some of the late quartets come off very well, especially the 12th and 14th.  Alexei Volodin joins the ensemble in the Piano Quintet, and he does better work here than on his mixed rep disc, but here the older recording has Richter at the keyboard.  (And then there's Michail Lifits' recent version with the Szymanowski Quartet, which is arguably better yet.)  I'm on the fence, but the set is mid-priced, so it may be hard to resist getting a proper copy.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 07:48:46 AM by Todd »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124802 on: November 17, 2018, 07:18:25 AM »
Bach

One of my most cherished works.

Gestern Die Kunst der Fuge gehört. Herrlich! Ein Werk das bisher für Mathematik gehalten wurde. Tiefste Musik!"   Alban Berg

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #124803 on: November 17, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »

How are they, Cesar? I’d be interested to know.  :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #124804 on: November 17, 2018, 07:47:25 AM »
Bach

One of my most cherished works.

Gestern Die Kunst der Fuge gehört. Herrlich! Ein Werk das bisher für Mathematik gehalten wurde. Tiefste Musik!"   Alban Berg

I'll be interested to read what you make of Asperen's. My copy arrived yesterday and so far I can say this: it is very well recorded and has courageous and  imaginative ideas.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 07:49:03 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124805 on: November 17, 2018, 08:26:27 AM »
I'll be interested to read what you make of Asperen's. My copy arrived yesterday and so far I can say this: it is very well recorded and has courageous and  imaginative ideas.

I must confess that I had forgotten this edition, I saw it passing but it slipped my mind , now ordered. I am of course very curious about this recording accustomed as I am with the Leonhardt version.
Many times it brought me to heavenly heights , I grew up with this recording and never felt the need to consider other recordings.
There is almost nothing that can excite me as much as "Die Kunst der Fuge".
It will be difficult to match the Leonhardt recording in its masterly timing and  moments of immense spiritual vastness.
Too many musical embellishments will disturb the architecture or the piece.
We will see, if there is one cembalist to fulfill this task  it should be van Asperen.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:32:01 AM by Traverso »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #124806 on: November 17, 2018, 08:26:47 AM »
Geistweidt: Meditation, mediation, meditation for harp and live electronics [Doris]

This is a very exciting work which takes me to a place where I never thought that I would go in the exploration of the sound of the harp. It certainly transcends my previous experiences of listening to the instrument [in a good way, I might add]. The sonic world and musical language are both wonderful.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Zeus

• formerly Judge Fish
« Reply #124807 on: November 17, 2018, 08:29:06 AM »
Interesting recording!  :) Wasn't familiar with the composer.

Q

Monika Mauch has a nice soprano voice.  Includes also lots of playing on a dulcimer – which has a pleasing and fairly unique sound.

Apparently, both Haydn brothers sang in Reutter’s boys' choir for several years!  Not exactly a passing acquaintance.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:34:44 AM by Zeus »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #124808 on: November 17, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »
I do not claim that it is anything very serious.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pugPoqCPm8U" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pugPoqCPm8U</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #124809 on: November 17, 2018, 08:57:04 AM »
It will be difficult to match the Leonhardt recording in its masterly timing and  moments of immense spiritual vastness.

Very true.

Too many musical embellishments will disturb the architecture or the piece.

Yes, and this is where van Asperen - surprisingly - fails. He adds an abundance of superfluous ornamentation, which might make even Koopman blush. Van Asperen refers to Bach's French models, but the AoF contains very little French style music. The recorded sound is very realistic, but the harpsichord (an authentic one-manual C. Zell) sounds rather harsh.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #124810 on: November 17, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »
If you really like these dances,menuets,divertimenti,marches etc you have to hear the Boskovsky recordings.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6bIOX_eVxUA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6bIOX_eVxUA</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BdpEch2hyYQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BdpEch2hyYQ</a>

Thank you for that. I enjoyed those.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #124811 on: November 17, 2018, 09:16:39 AM »
Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta.  Via Tidal.

The full emotionally-intense Lenny treatment.  Vibrant sound.

Dvorak: Scherzo Capriccioso.  24/96 FLAC download.

Ravishing.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:48:36 AM by Daverz »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124812 on: November 17, 2018, 09:19:51 AM »
Very true.

Yes, and this is where van Asperen - surprisingly - fails. He adds an abundance of superfluous ornamentation, which might make even Koopman blush. Van Asperen refers to Bach's French models, but the AoF contains very little French style music. The recorded sound is very realistic, but the harpsichord (an authentic one-manual C. Zell) sounds rather harsh.

Sorry to hear this but not a complete surprise after the short samples I heard.Maybe that van Asperen is a victim of the "Horror Vacui".I seems that the Leonhardt recording will remain my standard but it will be interesting how van Asoperen tackles the difficulties of this profound piece of art.
Next week I will be able to give my views on this recording.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #124813 on: November 17, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »

Yes, this is something Leonhardt had in spades.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124814 on: November 17, 2018, 09:39:37 AM »
Yes, this is something Leonhardt had in spades.

very true , and nevertheless, as a performer, he was practically in the background a humble servant of the master.
He was a master in letting the music speak in all his self-evident eloquence, a sculptor at the keyboard who was in all his aloofness the most moving  .

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124815 on: November 17, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
Thank you for that. I enjoyed those.

I reckon that your feet tapping was with more  "con Fuoco"  :D

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #124816 on: November 17, 2018, 10:00:04 AM »
very true , and nevertheless, as a performer, he was practically in the background a humble servant of the master.
He was a master in letting the music speak in all his self-evident eloquence, a sculptor at the keyboard who was in all his aloofness the most moving  .

But this is one of the differences between Asperen and Leonhardt right from the start, in WTC. Asperen has other qualities -- a sort of liveliness in contrapuntal music -- liveliness in the sense of living energy, full of life, free, rather than just quick. In his next reincarnation Asperen will be a jazzer. That's here in the AoF I think. We used to say that fugues Leonhardt and Gilbert are on rails, Asperen and Koopman off the rails!

I'm not as negative about all the ornamentation as premont. Asperen cites as influences on Bach Froberger and Francois Couperin and D'Anglebert -- but it's not spelt out very much.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:04:27 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124817 on: November 17, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »
Roussel

Moving to the first symphony of Roussel with the promising title  "Le poème de la forêt"

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #124818 on: November 17, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
But this is one of the differences between Asperen and Leonhardt right from the start, in WTC. Asperen has other qualities -- a sort of liveliness in contrapuntal music -- liveliness in the sense of living energy, full of life, free, rather than just quick. In his next reincarnation Asperen will be a jazzer. That's here in the AoF I think. We used to say that fugues Leonhardt and Gilbert are on rails, Asperen and Koopman off the rails!

I'm not as negative about all the ornamentation as premont. Asperen cites as influences on Bach Froberger and Francois Couperin and D'Anglebert -- but it's not spelt out very much.

I can following your reasoning and we must give the van Asperen recording the opportunity to sink in.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #124819 on: November 17, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »