Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8841748 times)

Traverso and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #128720 on: January 22, 2019, 05:36:27 PM »
Urspruch: Symphony

Jerry Dubins raves about this in the latest Fanfare.  It was pleasant.

Lachner: Symphony No. 3

Lachner is more interesting.  A very nice Scherzo.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #128721 on: January 22, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »

A varied program of orchestral, vocal and concertante music. The Carnival Overture and the Prelude and Fugue are substantial works - particularly the latter. The musical language of the two songs for baritone and orchestra is lushly late-romantic, but they didn’t catch my attention as much as the Scottish Fantasy, a viola concerto in all but name. After a lengthy orchestral introduction the viola ushers in with droning sounds before launching a lyrical melody rather similar to the Laudamus theme of his Te Deum. Apparently Braunfels used a popular scottish folk song but I didn’t detect it on first hearing. I’ll try to get it from youtube (Kathleen Ferrier used to sing it, so it must be available). 

The excellent album notes are by our own Jens F. Laurson who, unusually, does not hesitate to recommend discs from the competition to further our knowledge of Braunfels  8).

Edit: Youtube is indeed replete with versions of Ca’ the Yowes to the Knowes. It seems very popular. I listened to a few versions of it. Very beautiful. It appears in the Fantasy quite late, around the 17’ mark and dominates the last part of the work.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:17:19 PM by André »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #128722 on: January 22, 2019, 06:14:22 PM »
From the Karajan Remastered  set
Brahms Symphony 2
Schubert Symphony  8 (Unfinished)

HvK /Philharmonia recorded 1955

Karajan recorded Symphonies 1,2 and 4, plus the Haydn Variations in the 50s, but apparently did  not do the Third.  No reason given in the booklet for the lacuna. The Variations he actually did twice, once in mono and once in stereo.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #128723 on: January 22, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »
Roussel: Symphony No. 3

Provincial German orchestra, radio broadcast recording, and a conductor named "Bour", hahaha. 

But this is a fabulous performance of the Roussel.  The sound is a touch blowsy, but very vivid stereo.

On Qobuz: https://play.qobuz.com/album/3298490078044
On Tidal: https://listen.tidal.com/album/68610871
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:34:19 PM by Daverz »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #128724 on: January 22, 2019, 06:36:59 PM »

Provincial German orchestra, radio broadcast recording, and a conductor named "Bour", hahaha. 

But this is a fabulous performance of the Roussel.  The sound is a touch blowsy, but very vivid stereo.

He seems to have been one of those prominent conductors no one has heard of
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Bour

Bour's repertoire was marked by a concentration on contemporary music. World premières he presided over included works by Bussotti, Ferneyhough, Górecki, Ligeti, Rihm, Stockhausen and Xenakis, and he gave the French premières of Hindemith's Symphony Mathis der Maler and Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress and the European premiere of Susman's Trailing Vortices.[3] His recordings ranged from music of François Couperin[4] to André Jolivet.[5

It says he gave the European premiere of Berio's Sinfonia besides those.
And this
Perhaps his most heard recording is of Ligeti's Atmospheres with the Southwest German Radio Symphony Orchestra aka Sinfonieorchester des Südwestfunks Baden-Baden heard on the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #128725 on: January 22, 2019, 07:12:17 PM »
After Herbie, spending the rest of the evening with Alamire

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #128726 on: January 22, 2019, 07:45:41 PM »
I have been ripping the Haydn set of complete folksongs (see picture below) over the past few days. And along the way, I have been sampling the discs. What joy these bring. First, the singing is better than I was expecting. Jamie MacDougal and Lorna Anderson are quite good. The music is beautifully performed by the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt. Considering the enormous number of songs, the consistently high level of performance puts these forward in their best light. So far, I've enjoyed the duets (with accompaniment) the most. I bought this for about $10 at jpc (no longer available) and it is probably the highlight of my 2018 purchases.
This far, far, far exceeded my expectations. And with 18 discs to enjoy, I have a lot of exploring ahead of me!

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #128727 on: January 22, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »
This entire disc:

Absolutely enchanting. Top-notch performances and audio quality.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #128728 on: January 22, 2019, 08:18:31 PM »

On Qobuz: https://play.qobuz.com/album/3298490078044
On Tidal: https://listen.tidal.com/album/68610871

I’ve ran across this conductor’s name many times, but I believe the only thing I own with him conducting is Gorecki’s Symphony of Sorrowful Songs which, IIRC, was quite good. I’ll have to look out for more his recordings.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #128729 on: January 22, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »
He seems to have been one of those prominent conductors no one has heard of
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Bour
As a contemporary music weirdo I've heard quite a lot of him. He's pretty good & if you wanted to hear that repertoire in the 1960s he was one of the best choices (& also these days for some of the repertoire he championed that's never been re-recorded—Cristóbal Halffter, Jean-Pierre Guézec, early Helmut Lachenmann etc)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #128730 on: January 22, 2019, 09:01:33 PM »

I very much liked it. But it amused me to see that, unlike the Amazon image, my copy has a blatant mispelling on the cover (and only there)

Caniones Sacrae 1575

Without the T.

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #128731 on: January 22, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #128732 on: January 22, 2019, 09:10:02 PM »
Barber
Two Scenes from “Vanessa”
Roberta Alexander, soprano
Edo de Waart, conductor
The Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra

It’s difficult to imagine anything being better sung than these excerpts from Barber’s Vanessa.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #128733 on: January 22, 2019, 09:17:56 PM »
Prayers of Kierkegaard, Op. 30

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128734 on: January 22, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »

I very much liked it. But it amused me to see that, unlike the Amazon image, my copy has a blatant mispelling on the cover (and only there)

Caniones Sacrae 1575

Without the T.

Glad you like it.  :) Your copy must a "collector's item" - my copy has the T....  :D

Q

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128735 on: January 22, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
My Tactus haul from jpc arrived yesterday evening, which means a big addition to my collection of Italian harpsichord music:

Roman composer Giovan Battista Ferrini (1601 -1674) was unknown to me, though quite famous in his days. He might have been a pupil of Frescobaldi. Judging from this recording of harpsichord works - in which he adopts various styles in original ways, there is more interesting stuff to discover.

Q

Offline Irons

« Reply #128736 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:11 AM »
Humphrey Searle: 1st Symphony with Sir Adrian conducting LPO on a Lyrita LP. The 1st was in fact a Decca recording, the R/S is by Lyrita.

And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #128737 on: January 23, 2019, 12:52:10 AM »

Incredible orchestrations by the Stokowski of his time. Excellent program. The Bach, Debussy, Rachmaninov and Mussorgsky have been orchestrated many times over, but not as idiomatically as here. Ravel’s take on the Pictures is from 1922 and owes much to Woods’, completed and played in 1915, recorded in 1920.

Recorded in 1990-93, superbly played by the LPO and engineered with a suitably wide dynamic range.
That is my favourite version of Pictures at an Exhibition and a great CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Traverso

« Reply #128738 on: January 23, 2019, 01:05:06 AM »
I have been ripping the Haydn set of complete folksongs (see picture below) over the past few days. And along the way, I have been sampling the discs. What joy these bring. First, the singing is better than I was expecting. Jamie MacDougal and Lorna Anderson are quite good. The music is beautifully performed by the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt. Considering the enormous number of songs, the consistently high level of performance puts these forward in their best light. So far, I've enjoyed the duets (with accompaniment) the most. I bought this for about $10 at jpc (no longer available) and it is probably the highlight of my 2018 purchases.
This far, far, far exceeded my expectations. And with 18 discs to enjoy, I have a lot of exploring ahead of me!

Inspired by your words I managed to find a box in mint condition but not for the same price.Mine is 20 euro and 15 for shipment.I like also the arrangements Beethoven made .DG
Happy to found one 😀

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #128739 on: January 23, 2019, 03:27:32 AM »
George Lloyd: A Symphonic Mass

It's really good. I've owned the CD for years and didn't make much of it. However, following some rave reviews here I decided to give it another go and am really enjoying it:

Fantastic to hear! Definitely one of my favourite choral-orchestral works.

Thread duty:

Penderecki: Symphony No. 2
Polish NRSO/Wit

Penderecki: Utrenja
Soloists (soprano, mezzo, tenor, bass, basso profondo), Warsaw Philharmonic Choir
Warsaw PO/Wit

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.