Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 9045799 times)

Offline Irons

Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #129920 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
Excellent performances and sound.

Which is down to Michel Bernstein. He was Valois being engineer, producer, I would not be surprised if he made the tea! Valios is a superb label for chamber music and this a very good example.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:02:25 AM by Irons »
And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #129921 on: February 11, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
Les Percussions de Strasbourg

CD 12
Gérard Grisey
Le noir de L'Étoile

https://www.percussionsdestrasbourg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07
/Livret_Percussions_de_Strasbourg_50e1.pdf

A wonderful compendium of "modern" (third quarter of the 20th century, more or less) music. If you ever see it at an affordable price, I recommend grabbing it.

Traverso

« Reply #129922 on: February 11, 2019, 08:22:58 AM »
Bach

Offline staxomega

« Reply #129923 on: February 11, 2019, 09:15:36 AM »
Scriabin's Piano Sonata 5 and afterward 8 played by Sudbin and Sofronitsky respectively.

I’m not in search of perfect performances (there’s no such thing as any), but performances that move me in a way I haven’t felt previously before.

Beautifully said  8)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:17:23 AM by staxomega »

NikF4

« Reply #129924 on: February 11, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 6 - Rozhdestvensky/Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra of the USSR.

cilgwyn

« Reply #129925 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »
I know little Reger other than the Bocklin Tone Poems which I like very much. I'll be interested to read what you think of the Piano Concerto cilgwyn.
Hm?!! I don't think those tone poems are typical of his output (generally)! And I think you've got to like his other music first,before tackling his Piano concerto. I can remember thinking his,various,'Variations' were,quite,possibly,interminable noodling,without any decent tunes to leaven their duration. Except,maybe,the one at the beginning?!! And there are many people,it seems,who do share that opinion! But I kept on listening to them,and I've started to find his music,strangely,fascinating. And very cunningly constructed. Which is part of the fascination (for me,anyway!)

Offline Draško

« Reply #129926 on: February 11, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »

Beethoven Emperor
Brouwer Concierto Elegiaco

NikF4

« Reply #129927 on: February 11, 2019, 11:12:09 AM »
Prokofiev: Ivan The Terrible - Slatkin/BBC SO.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129928 on: February 11, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »
Prokofiev: Chout - Rozhdestvensky/The USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra.

I have that recording and some other ballets. Also have the symphonies recordings.
To my (in this field inexperienced ears) Rozhdestvensky and Prokofiev are a perfect match.

Q
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:16:23 AM by Que »

NikF4

« Reply #129929 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:56 AM »
I have that recording and some other ballets. Also have the symphonies recordings.
To my (in this field inexperienced ears) Rozhdestvensky and Prokofiev are a perfect match.

Q

My ears are even more inexperienced, however, certainly as far as the symphony cycles I own and enjoy are concerned, I tend to agree regarding your Prokofiev/Rozhdestvensky match comment.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #129930 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »
I don’t listen to much Elgar these days (if ever), but I will say that his Symphony No. 2 is one of the best pieces he’s ever written, IMHO. It’s a much better symphony than his first and has a deeply personal touch in the writing that suggests that he somehow foresaw WWI in the not so near future. Of course, we all know that he didn’t see the war coming nor did anyone else at the time, but the Larghetto movement really does have a sense of sadness to it that I find particularly moving.

Yes, just I'm listening to the 2nd again and it's definitely more attractive. I'm refreshing my ears with this masterpiece, and now I remember how harmonically adventurous it is. The slow movement is on par to that of the Korngold's Symphony, at least very close in spirit.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #129931 on: February 11, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »
Agreed, I would even name Nos. 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 as my favourites.  :)

I'll have to revisit them once more (soon I hope). I don't remember them very well, but I did recall having liked them.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #129932 on: February 11, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »
He is another fine recent discovery for me as well Cesar.  :)

Good to know you know him too :)
It's a thoroughly appealing work.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:56:45 AM by SymphonicAddict »

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #129933 on: February 11, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »
I really enjoyed the first movement of No.3 which has a memorable opening motto theme which keeps returning. Unfortunately the disc then got stuck. I'll have to try it on a different CD player. However, it is quite an old CD and I'm not optimistic.

Too bad, at least I know you gave it a try.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #129934 on: February 11, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
I had listened to La Mer this morning, now this ~

Debussy: Jeux - Ernest Ansermet, Orchestre De La Suisse Romande

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #129935 on: February 11, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
Masterful playing and excellent sound.

Offline Iota

« Reply #129936 on: February 11, 2019, 01:01:36 PM »
Furrer is a composer (and conductor) of extraordinary talent.

Having now listened to a couple more pieces, Nuun and Presto from the cd below, I'd absolutely agree with this. A gift for colour, atmosphere and momentum seems to pour out of him. And such an ear for detail! And I'm left at the end of each piece, with the impression of a persuasive structure having unfurled effortlessly.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

« Reply #129937 on: February 11, 2019, 01:04:42 PM »
Will do, Rafael. 8) When I sampled the Michiels’ Debussy disc, the Érard piano sounded rather nice to my ears, but I’m used to the sound of this piano now as I love Ogawa’s Satie recordings on BIS.
I'm a big fan of Sandrine Piau.  :) I have some of her recordings on Naive.  Do you know any of them?

PD

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

« Reply #129938 on: February 11, 2019, 01:12:04 PM »
Earlier today:  Beethoven's PC No. 3 with S. Richter on a DG LP and, as I had suspected, I did already have a copy of it on LP.  I looked at it under a bright light and saw numerous fine scratches on it, but it's also an older pressing.  I played the newer one--in excellent shape--a few hours ago.  Very enjoyable.

About an hour later:  a Hungaroton LP of Joseph Haydn's quartets--listened specifically to his Op. 77 No. 1 with the Tatrai Quartet...beautiful work and sublime playing by the Tatrai Quartet and I thought also excellent sound.  A good buy!   ;D

Best,

PD

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #129939 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
Now giving a first listen to this set

This afternoon
No 2 Lobgesang

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.