Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8439221 times)

Muzio and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #132260 on: March 15, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #132261 on: March 15, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »

Good performances of the Kodaly works, although Fricsay’s remain supreme. The curiosity here is Franz Schreker’s orchestration of the famous Hungarian Rhapsody no 2 by Liszt. Schreker was half-Hungarian and he had lots of fun revamping the tired warhorse. Compared to the familiar Doppler orchestration this sounds quite over the top.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The lark ascending into the distant horizon
« Reply #132262 on: March 15, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »
I've also had the set for years and can't remember if I've listened to it or not. I have a vague idea I did, but it's not in my listening notes.

Very nice. This is a nice work and an early one at that. I have found, however, that his late works are the ones that tend to grip me the most, but there are some exceptions of course. I love his Prelude & Fugue in C major and Nocturne (both solo piano works) for example and the first symphony (once I understood its’ musical language).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:53:36 PM by Mirror Image »
“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #132263 on: March 15, 2019, 06:27:48 PM »
What did you think of this work, John? Despite being a cello concerto aficionado, I found it to be rather uncohesive and not particularly memorable, though doubtlessly containing some very nice passages.

It’s a nice enough work, but hardly representative of the Enescu that I know and love.
“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Ciaccona

« Reply #132264 on: March 15, 2019, 06:32:35 PM »
Yes, Gielen. Which also has all the Knaben Wunderhorn songs I didn’t have (and all the other orchestral songs that I now have 3 copies of!)

Awesome! :)

NP:

Mahler: Symphony #2 in C Minor, "Resurrection"

Bernard Haitink: Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Etc.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #132265 on: March 15, 2019, 06:39:14 PM »
Debussy
La Damoiselle élue for soprano, mezzo-soprano, female chorus, and piano
Le Jeune Choeur de Paris
Natalie Dessay (soprano), Philippe Cassard (piano), Karine Deshayes (mezzo-soprano)

From this recording:

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #132266 on: March 15, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
Sculthorpe - Mangrove

As usual for Sculthorpe, this piece is so evocative and mysterious. Even though I've never been to the Australian outback, Sculthorpe's music certainly makes me feel like I'm there!

Sibelius - Belshazzar's Feast (complete incidental music)

A minor work in the Sibelius canon perhaps, but very enjoyable and rather haunting nonetheless.

Janáček - Amarus (cantata)

I'll quote from Amazon reviewer G.D.:

"Janacek's cantata Amarus dates from 1897, which means that it is, for Janacek (at 43), an early work, dating from before his really unique, mature style had fully developed. As such, Amarus is overall more conventional in terms of drama, development and orchestration than some of his later works. Nevertheless, many of the hallmarks of his later style are there, and there is no mistaking the identity of the composer even from hearing a few, brief passages. The choral writing, for instance, is characteristically Janacek, as is the use of ostinatos and much of the melodic material. I have to admit that I was a bit uncertain by the opening movements when I first heard the work, but it certainly grew on me, and the final three movements are superb, sporting for instance one of Janacek's most gorgeous big tunes, and the work as a whole builds up to a marvelously stirring finale. No fan of the composer should be without this one."

Shostakovich - Piano Quintet

A very fine new recording of this masterwork, which emphasizes the work's neo-Baroque and neoclassical elements, thereby asserting the work's relative uniqueness in the Shostakovich canon. The accompanying String Quartet no. 3 is great as well.

Gershwin - Second Rhapsody

A fully delightful work, easily worth mentioning in the same breath as Rhapsody in Blue and the Concerto in F. Sizzling performance, too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:43:37 PM by kyjo »
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #132267 on: March 15, 2019, 08:14:17 PM »
Joining kyjo in Sculthorpe, but Earth Cry.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #132268 on: March 15, 2019, 08:41:32 PM »
Da Shozz
Symphony 1
USSR State Orchestra, Kondrashin
This is the 1951 recording
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #132269 on: March 15, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
Sculthorpe - Mangrove

As usual for Sculthorpe, this piece is so evocative and mysterious. Even though I've never been to the Australian outback, Sculthorpe's music certainly makes me feel like I'm there!

Yes, indeed. I’ve always equated Sculthorpe to be an Impressionist of sorts as his music does seem to evoke the Australian landscapes he loved so dearly.

Joining kyjo in Sculthorpe, but Earth Cry.

Well, since both of you are listening to Sculthorpe, I might as well, too!

Sculthorpe
Memento mori
David Porcelijn, conductor
Adelaide Symphony Orchestra

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:53:43 PM by Mirror Image »

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #132270 on: March 15, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
Kyjo, quick! Let's both put on Mozart.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #132271 on: March 15, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »
Kyjo, quick! Let's both put on Mozart.

:P

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #132272 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:08 PM »
Mahler, Das Klagende Lied, revised version

Noting that if I want an Australian landscape I just stroll about 50 metres. Whereas medieval castles are in extremely short supply.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #132273 on: March 15, 2019, 08:58:06 PM »
Noting that if I want an Australian landscape I just stroll about 50 metres. Whereas medieval castles are in extremely short supply.

I hope, one day, I can travel to Australia. Your country is deeply fascinating to me.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #132274 on: March 15, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »
I hope, one day, I can travel to Australia. Your country is deeply fascinating to me.

Foreign places are like that. Home, not so fascinating.

When I’m in North America I get a bit excited when I see a squirrel. I’m sure the locals don’t. Whereas of course there are things here that much of the rest of the world thinks are amazing and I’m fairly nonchalant about.

Of course, the vast majority of us live on coastal fringes and we find the outback pretty exotic. In fact there’s an awful lot of this continent-country I’ve yet to see. Too busy going to Europe to see castles...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #132275 on: March 15, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »
Da Shozz
Piano Quintet
Shostakovich and the Beethoven Quartet
Not so great sound, great playing.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #132276 on: March 15, 2019, 11:31:49 PM »
Streaming Faure, La Naissance de Venus

I can only find evidence of 3 recordings of this work, and this local one is the one I can actually find to listen to. And it's quite lovely. Definitely a work that deserves wider exposure.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #132277 on: March 15, 2019, 11:47:53 PM »
Last evening, no TV and instead this:

What an amazing work Schutz' Auferstehung is - too long since I've last heard it. And an amazing performance and recording.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:51:48 PM by The new erato »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #132278 on: March 15, 2019, 11:59:14 PM »
I eventually found one of the other copies of La Naissance de Venus, the only one with the original piano accompaniment, hiding on Youtube.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ggonApB8zp8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ggonApB8zp8</a>

Now I think I want the album this comes from, which is around in CD form but not online. It seems to have a mix of choral works and songs. Many of the choral works are pretty rare.  And certainly this performance bodes well for the rest.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #132279 on: March 16, 2019, 12:00:24 AM »

D. 929
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:08:00 AM by San Antone »