Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8600792 times)

The new erato (+ 1 Hidden) and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #132280 on: March 16, 2019, 01:00:30 AM »

An new issue that definitely interests me - how is it?  :)

Q

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #132281 on: March 16, 2019, 01:11:29 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S8_5BhCE_lM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S8_5BhCE_lM</a>

Browne Salve Regina a 6 (I think a 6)  -- unbelievably fluid music making. Schmelzer's idea is that the embellishment is completely indistinguishable from the structure, and that the each voice, each syllable, each attack, should be surprising and expressive, no predictability or anonymity allowed -- and yet the resulting texture is coherent.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Irons

« Reply #132282 on: March 16, 2019, 02:09:31 AM »
Mozart: violin sonatas K. 402 & 403.

And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #132283 on: March 16, 2019, 02:13:40 AM »
I really enjoyed the Barber Toccata Festiva - although be warned someone else on Amazon calls it "bombastic, too long & forgettable - Barber's worst piece" 
Am playing it now in this version (dirt-cheap on JPC):
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #132284 on: March 16, 2019, 02:47:34 AM »
Sculthorpe - Mangrove

As usual for Sculthorpe, this piece is so evocative and mysterious. Even though I've never been to the Australian outback, Sculthorpe's music certainly makes me feel like I'm there!

Sibelius - Belshazzar's Feast (complete incidental music)

A minor work in the Sibelius canon perhaps, but very enjoyable and rather haunting nonetheless.

Janáček - Amarus (cantata)

I'll quote from Amazon reviewer G.D.:

"Janacek's cantata Amarus dates from 1897, which means that it is, for Janacek (at 43), an early work, dating from before his really unique, mature style had fully developed. As such, Amarus is overall more conventional in terms of drama, development and orchestration than some of his later works. Nevertheless, many of the hallmarks of his later style are there, and there is no mistaking the identity of the composer even from hearing a few, brief passages. The choral writing, for instance, is characteristically Janacek, as is the use of ostinatos and much of the melodic material. I have to admit that I was a bit uncertain by the opening movements when I first heard the work, but it certainly grew on me, and the final three movements are superb, sporting for instance one of Janacek's most gorgeous big tunes, and the work as a whole builds up to a marvelously stirring finale. No fan of the composer should be without this one."

Shostakovich - Piano Quintet

A very fine new recording of this masterwork, which emphasizes the work's neo-Baroque and neoclassical elements, thereby asserting the work's relative uniqueness in the Shostakovich canon. The accompanying String Quartet no. 3 is great as well.

Gershwin - Second Rhapsody

A fully delightful work, easily worth mentioning in the same breath as Rhapsody in Blue and the Concerto in F. Sizzling performance, too.
A great selection Kyle! I especially like the Second Rhapsody and all your other choices.
Thread duty:
Symphony 2 - a magnificent work.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:52:25 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #132285 on: March 16, 2019, 03:23:47 AM »
Sibelius, Impromptu op.19

The box has both the original version, written to go with the 2nd symphony, and the revised version from some years later (which is what is usually recorded).

In this case the revisions are extensive enough to be noticeable, and on a first listen I think the revision is a far better piece. Still not major Sibelius, but it's certainly instructive to hear how much more variety he got into the score to break up what was a bit of a repetitive rhythm/melody.

It also feels to me like there is music I recognise from some other Sibelius piece... I have a suspicion it's the 2nd movement of Symphony No.4!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #132286 on: March 16, 2019, 04:25:18 AM »
Vaughan Williams: In the Fen Country - Bernard Haitink conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra - prompted the the English pastoral thread

Traverso

« Reply #132287 on: March 16, 2019, 04:49:09 AM »
Debussy

La Mer
Nocturnes
Printemps
Rhapsody for Clarinet and orchestra - Gervase de Peyer

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #132288 on: March 16, 2019, 05:23:40 AM »
Debussy: Nocturnes - Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra & Collegium Vocale Gent conducted by Yannick Nezet-Seguin

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #132289 on: March 16, 2019, 06:05:03 AM »
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #132290 on: March 16, 2019, 06:28:30 AM »
Listening right through this excellent two CD set. Currently on Symphony 3:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #132291 on: March 16, 2019, 06:33:13 AM »
Ravel
String Quartet in F major
Quatuor Ebène

“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #132292 on: March 16, 2019, 06:36:11 AM »
Foreign places are like that. Home, not so fascinating.

When I’m in North America I get a bit excited when I see a squirrel. I’m sure the locals don’t. Whereas of course there are things here that much of the rest of the world thinks are amazing and I’m fairly nonchalant about.

Of course, the vast majority of us live on coastal fringes and we find the outback pretty exotic. In fact there’s an awful lot of this continent-country I’ve yet to see. Too busy going to Europe to see castles...

Yes, indeed. This does seem to be the way it is. France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany, England, Czech Republic, Romania, and Japan are also high on my list of places to see.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:46:11 AM by Mirror Image »
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #132293 on: March 16, 2019, 06:41:15 AM »

I just love Scriabin's early and middle period music but I don't care much for his late works.
"Medtner [is] one of  the few oases of the old musical outlook --- when music was music and not a sport; when it still served as the language of expression; when it was permissible and not ridiculous to feel, and to disclose one's feelings" - Leonid Sabaneev

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #132294 on: March 16, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
Foreign places are like that. Home, not so fascinating.

So true. A few years ago GMG member pjme visited Bucharest and he told me how very enthusiastic he was after visiting two museums in my home city that I had never ever heard of before. Go figure!  :laugh:
"Medtner [is] one of  the few oases of the old musical outlook --- when music was music and not a sport; when it still served as the language of expression; when it was permissible and not ridiculous to feel, and to disclose one's feelings" - Leonid Sabaneev

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #132295 on: March 16, 2019, 07:40:43 AM »
Yet another go.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Traverso

« Reply #132296 on: March 16, 2019, 08:03:08 AM »

I just love Scriabin's early and middle period music but I don't care much for his late works.

I must have that recording with Magaloff  :)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #132297 on: March 16, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
I must have that recording with Magaloff  :)

To quote another fellow GMG-er, if you must, you must.  :)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #132298 on: March 16, 2019, 08:19:06 AM »
Beethoven
Some middle sonatas
Louis Lortie
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #132299 on: March 16, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.