Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8857286 times)

Iota, SonicMan46 and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #134080 on: April 20, 2019, 03:44:42 AM »
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #134081 on: April 20, 2019, 03:45:35 AM »
I finally got around to having my opera lessons in Danish. Or my Danish lessons in opera...

And what a glorious thing it is. As a person who isn't really into opera... I can definitely get into this. To the point where I actually laughed out loud a few times, especially in the First Act.

The recording is fabulous. The only downside is that the libretto translation prefers rhyming over meaning. Clearly, it's a translation that's designed to be suitable for singing, but as I'm listening to a recording in Danish I don't need a translation I can sing, I need one that properly translates what the singers on the recording are singing.  But as far as these rhyming things go, it's not too bad at actually conveying the same meaning as the original.

I shall just have to practise my Danish to the point where I don't need the translation at all. And listen to this a lot. Because it's without doubt the best time I've had with a full-length opera.

Interesting experience, thanks for sharing.
"I compose music because I must give utterance to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts." --- Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #134082 on: April 20, 2019, 03:46:13 AM »

Talked a friend who is trying to get into classical to buy the Davrath Auvergne when I saw it in a secondhand shop today. We went back to his house and played it and he was immediately impressed.

Good move on your part. Davrath is probably my favourite singer of these songs.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #134083 on: April 20, 2019, 03:50:22 AM »
Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra conducted by Constantin Silvestri - beautiful sound, recorded in Winchester Cathedral.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #134084 on: April 20, 2019, 03:55:10 AM »

Sonata No 1 Op 11. One of the best interpretations of this difficult to interpret sonata. Demidenko is a top-notch Schumannian and I guess I have to track down his Carnaval/Papillons CD now.

Traverso

« Reply #134085 on: April 20, 2019, 04:00:37 AM »
Stravinsky

Le Chant du Rossignol   (1917 )  Radio-Symphonie Orchester Berlin  Ricardo Chailly

Pulcinella  ( 1920 )     Concertgebouw Orchestra   Riccardo Chailly

Traverso

« Reply #134086 on: April 20, 2019, 04:02:13 AM »
Mahler: Das Knaben Wunderhorn [Szell]

Two towering vocal greats expertly performing and being led by the great Szell conducting the London Symphony Orchestra makes for compelling listening.

The finest music of Mahler IMO   ;)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #134087 on: April 20, 2019, 04:16:34 AM »
Tallis: Lamentations of Jeremiah I & II - Winchester Cathedral Choir conducted by David Hill

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #134088 on: April 20, 2019, 04:26:17 AM »

If by "the finest" you mean the most immediately appealing, the most simple (but not simplistic), the most childlike (but not childish), in the most vulgar yet the most effective orchestration, music Mahler ever wrote, then I do wholeheartedly agree. 8)

Honestly, at home I'd rather take DKWH over any of his symphonies except 1, 3 and 4 every day and night. Imho, Mahler's symphonies are best experienced live in the coincert hall.
"I compose music because I must give utterance to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts." --- Sergei Rachmaninoff

cilgwyn

« Reply #134089 on: April 20, 2019, 04:29:26 AM »
Playing,now! Cd 2,of this set;which arrived today,in pristine condition.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #134090 on: April 20, 2019, 04:44:24 AM »

Perfectly fine HIP Etudes.  Of course, coming so soon after the mighty YES's set, this one was bound to suffer in comparison.  It's sort of like new Brahms solo piano recordings in a post-Volodos world.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #134091 on: April 20, 2019, 04:56:18 AM »

Sonata No 1 Op 11. One of the best interpretations of this difficult to interpret sonata. Demidenko is a top-notch Schumannian and I guess I have to track down his Carnaval/Papillons CD now.

Everything I've heard from Demidenko has been excellent, especially his Liszt B Minor Sonata.  I think he is a first rate pianist that appears to fly under the radar of a lot of folks.  I could be wrong, but that has been my impression.

Traverso

« Reply #134092 on: April 20, 2019, 05:00:20 AM »
If by "the finest" you mean the most immediately appealing, the most simple (but not simplistic), the most childlike (but not childish), in the most vulgar yet the most effective orchestration, music Mahler ever wrote, then I do wholeheartedly agree. 8)

Honestly, at home I'd rather take DKWH over any of his symphonies except 1, 3 and 4 every day and night. Imho, Mahler's symphonies are best experienced live in the coincert hall.

I wonder how many eggs you already have devoured too hasty. :D
By the way,it's a pity that you have such a small living room. :D

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #134093 on: April 20, 2019, 05:01:52 AM »
I wonder how many eggs you already have devoured too hasty. :D

Haven't had any egg since the day before yesterday. Does three beer bottles count, instead?   ;D

Seriously now, I didn't get the joke, please enlighten me.  :)

Traverso

« Reply #134094 on: April 20, 2019, 05:06:25 AM »
Haven't had any egg since the day before yesterday. Does three beer bottles count, instead?   ;D

Seriously now, I didn't get the joke, please enlighten me.  :)

Your livingroom seemes too smal to put in the orchestra of course,not meant childlike but childish. :D

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #134095 on: April 20, 2019, 05:16:57 AM »
Everything I've heard from Demidenko has been excellent, especially his Liszt B Minor Sonata.  I think he is a first rate pianist that appears to fly under the radar of a lot of folks.  I could be wrong, but that has been my impression.

I agree 150 %. I had the privilege and joy of hearing Demidenko live in Bucharest. He played Rachmaninoff's 2nd PC: an utterly ravishing performance that I will never forget --- and he gave no less than five (sic!) encores, not a single one of which was perfunctory; he obviously poured all his soul in all of them. He is the best pianist I've ever heard live with orchestra (the best solo pianist I've ever heard live is Andrei Gavrilov), and his unassuming, warm and gentle stage persona appealed to me greatly as well. I have a lot of his recordings, my favorite being his Scarlatti sonatas, Schubert piano music and Tchaikovsky/Scriabin PCs. An extremely fine pianist coupled with an extremelly fine human being.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #134096 on: April 20, 2019, 05:19:58 AM »
Your livingroom seemes too smal to put in the orchestra of course,not meant childlike but childish. :D

Hah! Indeed, my living room would not even acommodate a string quartet!  :D

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #134097 on: April 20, 2019, 05:36:52 AM »
Nielsen: Symphony No. 2 [Schmidt]

I like this version. The first movement has a wonderful flighty energy to it. The second movement is calm and peaceful suggesting an idyllic pastorale. The third movement is wonderfully dark and brooding with luscious harmonies enhancing the dark tone and mood. The final movement here is again full of energy and is driven in a great spirit.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #134098 on: April 20, 2019, 05:38:28 AM »

I think that Gustav was also pleased with it as he drew much from it later.

Traverso

« Reply #134099 on: April 20, 2019, 05:56:11 AM »
Hah! Indeed, my living room would not even acommodate a string quartet!  :D

oh dear....a Jewish harp quartet perhaps ? ::)

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.