Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 9454765 times)

vers la flamme, "Harry" and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Traverso

Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #137320 on: June 12, 2019, 08:41:50 AM »
Mozart

These are sounding also very good,not as a definitive recording but nevertheless very entertaining.

Symphony KV 111a
Symphonies 18,19 & 25

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #137321 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:27 AM »
Kinsella: Symphony No. 9 [Marwood]

I really like the musical language in this exciting work. There is great forward momentum throughout. The central Largo is a wonderful contrast to most of the music around it. It is emotionally laden and expressive without being oppressive. This is a very engaging and dynamic and I think that it is given a compelling performance here; one which has great presence to it.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #137322 on: June 12, 2019, 08:55:33 AM »

They sound very good,not as heavy as Böhm sometimes,not charged like Hogwood.

A very clear reading ,exposing everything which is in the notes without oddities, an honest reading without a high cholesterol  content. :D

Yes, I agree with all that you say and I would add that Tate brings a lot of musicality and vibrancy to his performances.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #137323 on: June 12, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »
Very nice. Stanford's music has a lot to offer even if it is of its time. I have a continually growing collection of his works which I always enjoy listening to but I own none of his operas.

Hi Aligreto - wife and I are not opera fans so own none, but there certainly is a LOT of beautiful British choral music - I do have a dozen or so discs of this music (Elgar, Britten, VWilliams, and a few others) but not a big collector (just no storage space - ;)) - now my wife is a singer and has done much choral work over the decades, and last night we watched another new arrival on Vaughan Williams shown below - she really enjoy his choral music, so may have to explore some she likes - will probably start w/ some Spotify listening.  Dave :)

Online Traverso

« Reply #137324 on: June 12, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »
Yes, I agree with all that you say and I would add that Tate brings a lot of musicality and vibrancy to his performances.

Well,that's set the record straigh. ;)

Online Traverso

« Reply #137325 on: June 12, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »
Satie

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #137326 on: June 12, 2019, 10:12:36 AM »
I really like Shebalin's music. Do you know symphonies 1 or 5 Cesar? Both are excellent IMO.

Sure, Jeffrey, I know his symphones, although I have few memories of them. I think my favorite was the 3rd if my memory serves.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #137327 on: June 12, 2019, 10:21:54 AM »

Symphony No. 3 Delle campane

One of my favorites by him. Its beginning should be counted as one of the most gentle and beautiful ones in existence.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #137328 on: June 12, 2019, 10:36:07 AM »
Kinsella: Symphony No. 9 [Marwood]

I really like the musical language in this exciting work. There is great forward momentum throughout. The central Largo is a wonderful contrast to most of the music around it. It is emotionally laden and expressive without being oppressive. This is a very engaging and dynamic and I think that it is given a compelling performance here; one which has great presence to it.

Oh, I want that! Kinsella is very worth exploring. Regularly available?

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #137329 on: June 12, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

Yes, through the Irish Chamber Orchestra webstore. 10€, including shipping  :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #137330 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:56 AM »
Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony [Hickox]

This was a difficult work for me to understand and comprehend for quite some time. This Hickox version played a big part in solving that problem for me with its lighter textures and its resulting cleaner lines which allowed for greater listening space for me and ultimately to greater comprehension on my part.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #137331 on: June 12, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »
Hi Aligreto - wife and I are not opera fans so own none, but there certainly is a LOT of beautiful British choral music - I do have a dozen or so discs of this music (Elgar, Britten, VWilliams, and a few others) but not a big collector (just no storage space - ;)) - now my wife is a singer and has done much choral work over the decades, and last night we watched another new arrival on Vaughan Williams shown below - she really enjoy his choral music, so may have to explore some she likes - will probably start w/ some Spotify listening.  Dave :)

Cheers Dave. I am embarking on something of a Vaughan Williams odyssey myself at the moment so if you both come across something interesting I would be interested to hear fro you.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #137332 on: June 12, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »

Yes, through the Irish Chamber Orchestra webstore. 10€, including shipping  :)

I have just posted my positive reaction to Symphony No. 9 and, whatever else follows, that work alone is worth the entrance fee. This is a highly recommended work, performance and recording in my opinion.

Online Traverso

« Reply #137333 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:41 AM »
Bruckner

Symphony No.7

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #137334 on: June 12, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
What works, Jeffrey?
Sorry Karl I should have made that clear:
Prayer of St. Gregory
The Rubiyat of Omar Khayam (unintentionally hilarious with Michael York's cloyingly reverential spoken contribution - and yet the work has a peculiar appeal)
Symphony No.2 'Mysterious Mountain' (with its echoes of VW's Tallis Fantasia)

TD
Bax: Symphony 7 Bryden Thomson, LPO.

CD version.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:50:52 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #137335 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
I have been listening to and enjoying some Gershwin recently but the Piano Concerto is probably my least favourite work. That is just a personal thing obviously but I do agree that the music is still fresh and good.

An American in Paris and Variations on 'I Got Rhythm' are my favourites.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #137336 on: June 12, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »

Symphony No. 3 Delle campane

One of my favorites by him. Its beginning should be counted as one of the most gentle and beautiful ones in existence.
My favourite of the Marco Polo Malipiero series and the only one that I play frequently, although I also like No.7.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #137337 on: June 12, 2019, 12:37:37 PM »
Ian Wilson: String Quartet No. 3 “Towards the Far Country” [Vanbrugh Quartet]

The quite dissonant and discordant nature of this work lends to an exciting and interesting musical landscape; it is an interesting and engaging challenge. There is a forlorn atmosphere and tone to the work which is very engaging.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #137338 on: June 12, 2019, 12:38:22 PM »
An American in Paris and Variations on 'I Got Rhythm' are my favourites.

More love for Gershwin.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #137339 on: June 12, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »
Cheers Dave. I am embarking on something of a Vaughan Williams odyssey myself at the moment so if you both come across something interesting I would be interested to hear fro you.

Hi again Aligreto - reading the last chapters of the Kindle edition of the book shown below on RVW - as in the excellent Amazon comments, the book is more 'biographical' but well done (I could have had less quoted letters and personal detail, e.g. how many times Adeline fell down or stumbled got tiresome) - the music is discussed and well placed w/i Ralph's timeline as the chapters progress; however, there is not a detailed 'musicological' analysis of his compositions w/ a lot of score sheets shown - in all honesty having read dozens of composer bios, I tend to skip over this type of discussion, just not my thing (or my understanding) - SO, if you want a good bio of Vaughan Williams, this one qualifies in my opinion - but if you want more musical assessment, then checked out VW's Veranda, Jeffrey in particular discusses the available books quite well w/ his recommendations.  Dave :)