Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 9110368 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #137340 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
Hi again Aligreto - reading the last chapters of the Kindle edition of the book shown below on RVW - as in the excellent Amazon comments, the book is more 'biographical' but well done (I could have had less quoted letters and personal detail, e.g. how many times Adeline fell down or stumbled got tiresome) - the music is discussed and well placed w/i Ralph's timeline as the chapters progress; however, there is not a detailed 'musicological' analysis of his compositions w/ a lot of score sheets shown - in all honesty having read dozens of composer bios, I tend to skip over this type of discussion, just not my thing (or my understanding) - SO, if you want a good bio of Vaughan Williams, this one qualifies in my opinion - but if you want more musical assessment, then checked out VW's Veranda, Jeffrey in particular discusses the available books quite well w/ his recommendations.  Dave :)

Thank you very much for that Dave; much appreciated.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

NikF4

« Reply #137341 on: June 12, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Gershwin - I remember finally getting a CD of the Porgy & Bess OST (Previn) after years of only having heard a couple of pieces.The best way I can think of to describe it, was I listened all the way through and as soon as it finished I started at the beginning again. I can't think of any other music I've done that with.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #137342 on: June 12, 2019, 01:10:07 PM »
Thank you very much for that Dave; much appreciated.

Well, I just took Jeffrey's advice and ordered the book shown below by James Day - used but only an $8 USD purchase (hope that it does not contain a lot of musical scores - ;)) - now I played accordion as a teen and can read music, but I'm at the bottom of the food chain trying to figure out complex scoring and how the music would sound 'in my head' (reminds me of the scene in Amadeus when Salieri was looking at Mozart's scores and could hear the music in his head - I'd love to have that innate skill, but won't happen!).  Dave :)

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #137343 on: June 12, 2019, 02:11:40 PM »

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #137344 on: June 12, 2019, 03:59:08 PM »
My favourite of the Marco Polo Malipiero series and the only one that I play frequently, although I also like No.7.

I rather enjoy all of them, the last ones a little less so because of their astringency.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #137345 on: June 12, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »
Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 3

Gorgeous.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #137346 on: June 12, 2019, 08:30:49 PM »
Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 3

Gorgeous.

A great set, even though one of the symphonies is spread over two discs:

Thread duty:

'The Romance of the Mummy'
A hauntingly atmospheric work (1883-6)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #137347 on: June 12, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
Well, I just took Jeffrey's advice and ordered the book shown below by James Day - used but only an $8 USD purchase (hope that it does not contain a lot of musical scores - ;)) - now I played accordion as a teen and can read music, but I'm at the bottom of the food chain trying to figure out complex scoring and how the music would sound 'in my head' (reminds me of the scene in Amadeus when Salieri was looking at Mozart's scores and could hear the music in his head - I'd love to have that innate skill, but won't happen!).  Dave :)

I think that the James Day is a good choice and hope that you enjoy it. It steers a good balance between biographical information and not-too-technical discussion of the music as far as I recall and features some nice photographs. I still think he's wrong about the Tuba Concerto - 'the jokes fall flat'.
 :)

PS a lot of the material about the relationship with Ursula came out after her death at an advanced age. That is covered in the more recent biographies and, for example, in the 'Passions of VW' DVD above. There is a wonderful small book 'Working with RVW' by Roy Douglas, who helped him in later years. I had the pleasure of meeting him (Roy Douglas not VW) for tea as he lived locally. I fear that the book is OOP or absurdly expensive - worth looking out for though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:48:45 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #137348 on: June 12, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137349 on: June 12, 2019, 09:20:53 PM »
Speaking of whom...

Would you (strongly) recommend it?  :)

Q

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137350 on: June 12, 2019, 09:25:20 PM »
Morning listening - another new arrival:

This is such a great composer - we need more recordings!  :)
And luckily there is a lot of his music to be recorded....

Q

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #137351 on: June 12, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »
Would you (strongly) recommend it?  :)

Q

I (strongly) would!  8)

Beaumarchais liked the work enough to say about Salieri that he "has received from Nature a delicate sensibility, a true spirit, a most exceptional talent for dramatic music, and a wealth of ideas that is almost unique". He proceeded to work with and provide Salieri with a libretto for his next French opera, Tarare. The music is very dramatic and at regular intervals intensely propulsive. Lyrical respites are not in short supply and are very graceful, however not in a flowery, baroque manner and they do not stall the work's momentum. Here we're already away from Gluck and going towards Cherubini. The Mozart connection is, also, not apparent in this work; if anything, it reminds me more of Haydn's wit (as in e.g. Orlando paladino). The woodwinds in places are already prefiguring Berlioz. Singing and orchestral playing are exceptional.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #137352 on: June 12, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »
New acquisition. first listen.
Francois Couperin. Complete Works for Harpsichord. CD 7.
Treizieme Ordre, Quatorzieme Ordre, Quinzieme Ordre.

Olivier Baumont plays on a Reinhard von Nagel after Nicolas and Francois Blanchet 1730.
Davitt Moroney plays on a Reinhard von Nagel after C. Kroll, c. 1770.
Erato 1992.

The first thing that strikes in the playing by Baumont is the rest he brings into the music, the well thought out expression, and the attention to detail. Sparkling when needed, and contemplative when demanded. Their is such a depth in his interpretation, all brought out with colours that gives the music lustre and imbues it with the times in which Couperin lived. I have more complete performances of his music, but this one strikes me as one to cherish.
Sound is very good, the harpsichords are well captured.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #137353 on: June 13, 2019, 12:09:45 AM »
New acquisition. Second listen. CD 2.

Shakespeare's Musick. Oberon, The Faery Prince, A Masque of Prince Henries, performed at the Banqueting House, Whitehall on New Year's Day, 1611.
Music by Alfonso Ferrabosco II, Robert Johnson, and others.

Musicians of the Globe, Philip Pickett.
L'oiseau-Lyre 1994.

After all those years when I heard this on elpee's, I am surprised how good the recordings were, and how well they stood the time, in terms of interpretation. The joy of music making is apparent, and the attention in expression, and wholeness of sound is amazing. To hear all the singers which are now in the aftermaths of their careers, is a pleasure that lifts my spirit greatly. To me these performances were never surpassed. So in all it's glory and pleasure, this is a wave of gorgeousness that is washing over me.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #137354 on: June 13, 2019, 12:52:48 AM »
New acquisition, first listen.

Francois Couperin, Complete Works for Harpsichord, CD 8.
Seizieme Ordre, Dix-septieme Ordre, Dix-huitieme Ordre, Dix-neuvieme Ordre.

Olivier Baumont and Davitt Moroney play on the same instruments as Disc 7.
Erato, 1992.

Well my review of disc No. 7 fits equally well on No. 8, so there it is. So far I enjoyed this box with 10 CD'S immensely.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #137355 on: June 13, 2019, 02:13:22 AM »
New acquisition, second listen. CD 3.

Shakespeare's Musick.
Purcell's settings and interpolation made into Shakespeare's plays.

Musicians of the Globe, Philip Pickett.
L'oiseau-Lyre 1994.

Nothing but praise about music and performance, I am thoroughly enjoying the trip. Great singing and superb instrumental accompaniment.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #137356 on: June 13, 2019, 04:39:53 AM »
Moeran Symphony in G minor, Sinaisky conducting the BBC Phil

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z3cI58UA8wY&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z3cI58UA8wY&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Traverso

« Reply #137357 on: June 13, 2019, 05:19:45 AM »
Debussy

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:30:44 AM by Traverso »

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #137358 on: June 13, 2019, 05:36:55 AM »
New acquisition, first listen. CD 9.

Francois Couperin. Complete Works for Harpsichord.
Vingtieme Ordre, Vingt-et-unieme Ordre, Vingt-deuxième Ordre, Vingt-troisième Ordre.

Olivier Baumont plays on a Anthony Sidey after Ruckers 1636 and Hemsch 1763.
Christine Plubeau,  Bass viol in the fourth movement of Vingtieme Ordre.
Erato 1991.

Nothing then praise also. The interpretation strikes me as pure as is possible in what the music has to say. Baumont to my ears has the right way of expressing all the right colours. I know many have their reservations regarding this set, but it suits me to the letter T.
Good sound.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #137359 on: June 13, 2019, 06:25:43 AM »
New acquisition, first listen.

Francois Couperin, Complete Works for Harpsichord, CD 8.
Seizieme Ordre, Dix-septieme Ordre, Dix-huitieme Ordre, Dix-neuvieme Ordre.

Olivier Baumont and Davitt Moroney play on the same instruments as Disc 7.
Erato, 1992.

Well my review of disc No. 7 fits equally well on No. 8, so there it is. So far I enjoyed this box with 10 CD'S immensely.

Harry - will look forward to your further comments on the Baumont box which is only $25 USD on Amazon USA - earlier this year, I replaced an old box w/ the new offering by Carole Cerasi, which is now selling for $100+ there (although half that on the Amazon MP) - I bought my Cerasi set from Presto for 50 bucks.  Dave :)

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.