Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8847544 times)

jwinter (+ 1 Hidden) and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #138620 on: July 11, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »

Barbara Thornton does something here which is exceptional, she takes a monophonic a cappella song in a language I don’t understand, a song which does not have a catchy memorable melody à la Schubert, and she holds my attention for the duration, which is about 7 minutes. Only a great singer can do that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #138621 on: July 11, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »

Sonatas 2, 11 and 14. Superb.

cilgwyn

« Reply #138622 on: July 11, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
Listening to three superb works by Morton Gould: Show Piece for Orchestra (1954), the Piano Concerto (1938) and the Pulitzer Prize winning StringMusic (1994).

Sarge
Oh,don't tempt me!! ::) ;D I find myself warming,increasingly,to Morton Gould these days. I was impressed by his third symphony;and I share kyjo's enthusiasm for No 2! (The performances on the Albany label are excellent) I also like his Copland-esque Fall River Legend,very much,in it's suite form (Hanson's recording is superb) and the complete version;available on the,late lamented,Koch label,complete with a,very interesting,conversation between Gould,and the choreographer,in her home;which I thought might be boring,but actually enjoyed. I do wish someone would release the recording of his Latin American Symphonette,on the Varese Sarabande Lp,with the LSO conducted by Gould. It was an early digital Lp,with stunning yellow Aztec artwork,embossed,on the front!  The sound quality was sensational;as was the thrilling performance. (One of those Lp's that had fun warnings,about the risk of it blowing up your system,or speakers! (it didn't! :( ;D) ) I like the piece;but all the other recordings I have heard pale by comparison

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #138623 on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
The Hickox recording is my first stop,for this symphony,these days! I do like this classic account,as well,though. Oh,and Henry Wood's! Nice photo. Nit picking,I know ;D;but it would have been nicer if they'd let you see more of it! I like the Hickox best,though. I think this symphony is,even better,with the bits that got removed!  I'm no expert on this,I'll admit. Just thinking about the different versions makes my head spin!! ??? ::) I downloaded the Goossen's recording from somewhere,the other day. I believe that's a bit different,as well?!!!

To paraphrase a famous dialogue between RVW's teacher Stanford and the young composer: > 'Damnably ugly, my boy, why do you make such things?' 'Because I like them.' 'But you can't like them, they're not music.' 'I shouldn't make them if I didn't like them.' So the argument went on and there was no time left for any constructive criticism. <  (RVW's essay A Musical Autobiography, from 1950).   8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:57:59 PM by Christo »
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

cilgwyn

« Reply #138624 on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
I recently discovered Gould’s Concerto for Orchesta on the below Albany CD and really enjoyed it - an invigorating, rhythmic, fun, quintessentially American work. I also recall enjoying his 2nd Symphony which, rather unusually, ends with a somber, almost Shostakovichian slow movement.

More temptation!!! :o :(

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #138625 on: July 11, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »
Op.130/133. Superb.

I also enjoyed the Artemis Quartet's recordings of Beethoven.  Nice to see another fan.

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #138626 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:06 PM »
Wonderful playing and sound.

Offline Traverso

« Reply #138627 on: July 11, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »
Bach

Suite No.2

I remember so vividly that I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty of this suite,the elegant dances,the tender traverso,it felt like coming into paradise.My first recording was with the Münchener Bach-Orchester and Karl Richter

Offline Traverso

« Reply #138628 on: July 11, 2019, 10:57:16 PM »
Music in Versailles

Marais  "La Sonnerie"
d'Anglebert  prélude in D minor
Marais Tombeau de Mr de Sainte-Colombe

This recording is a classic,La Sonnerie and one of the most beautiful pieces ever written for the clavecin by d'Anglebert

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #138629 on: July 11, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »
En la última Destreza.
Francisco Guerau, Complete Works for Guitar.

CD II.

Xavier Diaz-Latorre, Guitar.
5 course guitars made by Julio Castano.

As CD I, this is a joy listening to. Latorre is a thoughtful performer, who digs out all the musical details that makes it so. It is well recorded, and the guitars by Julio Castano makes the sound of this era complete.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Traverso

« Reply #138630 on: July 11, 2019, 11:32:41 PM »
Bach

Goldberg Variations

Gustav Leonhardt

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #138631 on: July 12, 2019, 12:26:35 AM »
Georges Onslow, String Quintets, volume II.
Nos. 10 & 22.

Elan Quintet.

These recordings need no praise, they are beyond reproach, such is the quality of music, recording and performance.

There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Traverso

« Reply #138632 on: July 12, 2019, 01:29:41 AM »
Beethoven

piano concertos 1 & 2

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #138633 on: July 12, 2019, 01:29:50 AM »
Eduard Franck, String sextets in E flat major & D major.

Edinger Quartett.

Very cultivated music, and he is indeed a master of polyphony, and as an added bonus his chamber works are almost of orchestral proportions.
Very good performance and recording.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #138634 on: July 12, 2019, 02:12:43 AM »

Not sure why I so seldom play Leonhardt '65. Today's listen was lovely, and sometimes 47 minutes of no repeats is all that's required.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #138635 on: July 12, 2019, 03:29:47 AM »
My plan for the rest of the evening is to alternate between songs (piano/vocal) and solo piano, with where I'm up to for various composers and my listening projects...

I'll add them to this post as I get through them. Not sure if I'll stay awake for all 8 things I've pulled out.

1. Schumann, Sechs Gedichte und Requiem, op.90 (Schäfer, Johnson) - not hard to hear why this is one of the later Schumann song collections that has a place in the repertoire. Gorgeous, although some of it seems clearly intended for a male singer.

2. Scriabin, Prelude and Nocturne for the left hand, op.9 (Lettberg)

3. Shostakovich, Satires op.109 (Evtodieva, Serov) - the composer found poetry to match his bitter humour and tackles it with relish. Just one of the features is that each song begins with the title being sung.

4. Sibelius, Valse Lyrique and Valse Chevaleresque from op.96 (Mertanen) - the 2 pieces in the opus that were written for piano originally.

And I think I'll save the rest for another time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:25:43 AM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #138636 on: July 12, 2019, 03:35:05 AM »
Bach

Goldberg Variations

Gustav Leonhardt

Love when that happens. I have that in my player now (Actually, I have a 5 disk carousel, so it finished playing a bit ago, but still quite a coincidence :) )

Now playing this:

It's all good...

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #138637 on: July 12, 2019, 04:27:25 AM »
Geminiani
Concerti grossi
La Petite Bande
Kuijken
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #138638 on: July 12, 2019, 05:30:16 AM »
Bach

Suite No.2

I remember so vividly that I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty of this suite,the elegant dances,the tender traverso,it felt like coming into paradise.My first recording was with the Münchener Bach-Orchester and Karl Richter

Excellent, Traverso;)

That Richter recording was my introduction to the suites as well.  The La Petite Bande recording remains a favorite of mine today.

I'll join you in some Bach listening:

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #138639 on: July 12, 2019, 05:33:11 AM »

Not sure why I so seldom play Leonhardt '65. Today's listen was lovely, and sometimes 47 minutes of no repeats is all that's required.

Indeed!   :)

I'm glad to see also playing one of my favorite Haydn discs.  Pulling that one out for a spin later on.  ;)