Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 10889426 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #140140 on: August 13, 2019, 05:01:09 PM »
Vivaldi, Juditha Triumphans.

The Naive/Opus 111 version, which I’m enjoying a lot and which one review considered rather more vibrant than the Hyperion version which I own (Vivaldi sacred music box set). I will have to do a comparison of my own as a factor in deciding whether the nice covers of the Vivaldi Naive Edition are going to lead me astray.

I have found over time that when it comes to Vivaldi's operas (and Judy's Triumph can be included among them) one version is quite enough. (I think the review is right to prefer the Naive, but the difference is not too great.) The shorter works...the solo cantatas and choral works...are a different story, though.

Especially recommendable is the 2 CD program of assorted litirgical works Alessandrini put together under the rubric of "Vespri per l'Assunzione".

TD

First listen. Pleasant in an 18th century sort of way...

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #140141 on: August 13, 2019, 07:00:24 PM »
But I can’t possibly buy ALL BUT ONE of the Vivaldi series.  :laugh:

Anyway. Decisions are ages away. I did listen to about the first half dozen volumes some years ago. Now that I subscribe to Deezer I plan on pressing on through all of them to see what I think.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #140142 on: August 13, 2019, 10:55:20 PM »
Atterberg: 1st Symphony.

I have decided listening chronologically is the best way to get a handle on this set of works. I was struck by the exuberance of youth inherent in the 1st Symphony. A young man with an unshakable confidence in his own abilities which in a way is the symphony's Achilles heel. The great Romantic works all posses an element of self-doubt or pain. It will be most interesting to travel through the nine and follow the development of Atterberg as a symphonic composer. He is obviously extremely gifted. 
The familiar rat-a-tat of enemy machine-guns joined the melee. It was like an orchestra from hell, it’s tune being played out by the instruments of death. - The Sun Will Always Shine, John R McKay.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #140143 on: August 13, 2019, 11:28:22 PM »
Kyle might be interested in this disc. I especially enjoyed 'Orpheus' by William Schuman and Virgil Thomson's Cello Concerto:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #140144 on: August 14, 2019, 01:23:15 AM »
Sibelius: The Wood-Nymph, Op 15 - Lahti Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska - an early work, the booklet mentions the influence of Wagner though to me it had a hint of Dvorak.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #140145 on: August 14, 2019, 01:49:10 AM »
Bach

Und weiter geht es mit Cantaten.:)

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #140146 on: August 14, 2019, 01:52:07 AM »
Is the forum being super slow for anyone else right now?

While I wait for an answer, embarking on Volume 3 of the Naive Vivaldi edition.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #140147 on: August 14, 2019, 02:11:47 AM »
Is the forum being super slow for anyone else right now?

While I wait for an answer, embarking on Volume 3 of the Naive Vivaldi edition.

Yes I have the same problem when I logged in,it is now o.k.  . :)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #140148 on: August 14, 2019, 02:32:10 AM »
Sibelius: En Saga, Op 15 (final versio) - Lahti Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska - roughly 5 mins shorter than the original version and fewer hints of Wagner and Tchaikovsky

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #140149 on: August 14, 2019, 02:36:09 AM »
Erwin Schulhoff: Symphony 5 (1938/39)
A magnificent work. Written in the shadow of the Munich Agreement of 1938 and the terrible betrayal of Czechoslovakia (by my own country amongst others) it conveys a terrible sense of looming catastrophe but also hopeless defiance. In this sense it reminds me of Honegger's 2nd and 3rd 'Liturgique' symphonies. I was also reminded of the 2nd and 3rd symphonies by Hilding Rosenberg at times. There is a Romain Rolland connection between the Schulhoff and the Rosenberg 3rd Symphony as well. As a Czech, Jewish communist Schulhoff stood no chance at all and perished during the Second World War. My grateful thanks to André for originally introducing me to this despairing but paradoxically inspiriting work:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:41:56 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline pjme

« Reply #140150 on: August 14, 2019, 03:04:00 AM »
Yes, the forum is slow and regularly off line. Connection seems to improve...

Ah! Schulhoff! I hope to find out what " Lachteufel" is - an instrument used in his pianoconcerto. I wrote to Les percussions de Strasbourg! They should know.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #140151 on: August 14, 2019, 03:05:15 AM »
 Ligeti

Melodien für Orchester (1971)
Chamber Concerto

Schönberg Ensemble Reinbert de Leeuw

Piano Concerto  Pierre-Laurant Aimard

Mysteries of the Macabre (für Trompete und Kammerorchester) (arr. von Elgar Howarth)

Asko Ensemble Reinbert de Leeuw

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #140152 on: August 14, 2019, 03:30:58 AM »
GMG is slow indeed, and often I can not get in.

New arrival.

Venezia Stravagantissima.
Balli Canzone e Madrigali.

Capriccio Stravagante
Renaissance Orchestra, Skip Sempe.

A lovely disc filled with music that makes you happy. And well performed it is too.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Andy D.

« Reply #140153 on: August 14, 2019, 04:19:56 AM »
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

This is a great quote imo.

Me:

Can't seem to stop with the Gergiev Rite of Spring (Tchaikovsky). REALLY love the Scriabin "Poem of Ecstasy" on that CD as well, first time hearing that one.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #140154 on: August 14, 2019, 04:29:22 AM »
Debussy & Chopin

Préludes Book 1
Reflets dans l'eau

Fantasie in F minor Op.49
Ballade No.1 in G minor Op.23

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #140155 on: August 14, 2019, 04:33:33 AM »
Saint-Saëns: Violin Concerto No. 3
Hoelscher (violin)/New Philharmonia Orchestra/Dervaux

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #140156 on: August 14, 2019, 04:35:21 AM »
Beethoven: Symphony No 7 in A major - Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herbert von Karajan (1963) - dynamic performance from HvK

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #140157 on: August 14, 2019, 04:49:06 AM »
I found the forum very slow earlier too. Better now.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #140158 on: August 14, 2019, 05:08:28 AM »
Mahler: Symphony 6 [Barbirolli]

This is a grand, sweeping, powerful performance with a glorious version of the magnificent slow movement. It also has a sense of foreboding throughout, especially in the final movement.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #140159 on: August 14, 2019, 05:09:23 AM »
Atterberg: 1st Symphony.

I have decided listening chronologically is the best way to get a handle on this set of works. I was struck by the exuberance of youth inherent in the 1st Symphony. A young man with an unshakable confidence in his own abilities which in a way is the symphony's Achilles heel. The great Romantic works all posses an element of self-doubt or pain. It will be most interesting to travel through the nine and follow the development of Atterberg as a symphonic composer. He is obviously extremely gifted.

That is a great set. Enjoy your odyssey.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.