Author Topic: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread  (Read 958683 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread
« Reply #6940 on: July 18, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
Presto have launched a Sony Clearance Sale, on both Box Sets and full price single discs

Supplies are strictly while stocks last, so get em while you can!

Oooh thank you!

Wait no on second thought. I'm upset with you.

I have a nice full Presto shopping cart already. I'm waiting to order because I'm about to go on holiday. I prefer to know my parcel will arrive on a day when I can get home first, take it in the house, and hide it before my girlfriend says "more CDs??!??!?" But now I need to order ASAP to grab these clearance items, and it will be waiting for us when we get back, and my girlfriend will say "more CDs??!??!?"

I guess I'll just sigh and say "it's this guy named Paul's fault."

Offline Paul_Thomas

« Reply #6941 on: July 18, 2019, 10:08:47 AM »
Oooh thank you!

Wait no on second thought. I'm upset with you.

I have a nice full Presto shopping cart already. I'm waiting to order because I'm about to go on holiday. I prefer to know my parcel will arrive on a day when I can get home first, take it in the house, and hide it before my girlfriend says "more CDs??!??!?" But now I need to order ASAP to grab these clearance items, and it will be waiting for us when we get back, and my girlfriend will say "more CDs??!??!?"

I guess I'll just sigh and say "it's this guy named Paul's fault."

;D

Offline CB45

« Reply #6942 on: July 18, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »
Amazon UK also have the Harnoncourt for £48....

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6943 on: July 19, 2019, 05:01:41 AM »
Amazon UK also have the Harnoncourt for £48....
A couple of the prices are definitely matched elsewhere (Amazon US has the Emanuel Ax box same price) but many of them are not, especially the budget "white boxes" and 2-3 CD sets.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #6944 on: August 03, 2019, 01:49:40 PM »
Ordered the Bernstein 100 Disk original jackets set w/NY Sym from AmazonUK for about $55. Expected it to be cancelled, but instead got an email it would be delivered earlier than first stated.  Some crazy good bargains over there for mega-box fans.  Unlike other European sellers, they have super-cheap shipping. I had been interested in the Richard Stoltzman complete RCA box for a year or two, but not quite enough to pull the trigger.  For $42, however, saw no reason to resist.
It's all good...

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #6945 on: August 07, 2019, 02:54:04 AM »
Presto are doing Naxos Studio Master quality downloads for under £4.00 per disc.  I know some will argue that there is little/no benefit from this degree of audio resolution but the reality is you are getting better than CD quality for less than half the price of the equivalent CD so its seems like a good deal to me.  I've picked up their latest Howells Chamber music and Brian Symphonies discs which I was resisting at around £8 for the actual disc.

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #6946 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »
Ordered the Bernstein 100 Disk original jackets set w/NY Sym from AmazonUK for about $55. Expected it to be cancelled, but instead got an email it would be delivered earlier than first stated.  Some crazy good bargains over there for mega-box fans.  Unlike other European sellers, they have super-cheap shipping. I had been interested in the Richard Stoltzman complete RCA box for a year or two, but not quite enough to pull the trigger.  For $42, however, saw no reason to resist.

Could you provide a link for that Bernstein?  :)
Musica lætitiæ comes medicina dolorum
(Music is a companion to joy and a medicine for pains)

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
« Reply #6947 on: August 08, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
Could you provide a link for that Bernstein?  :)

Alas, Gordo, it is gone.  This recently happened to me at the German Amazon. They had the giant Solti and Menuhin boxes for 99Euros each, and went I went back, the price had leaped back up...
  When I got mine, it seemed to be from a 3rd party seller.  I suppose they were closing out their stock.  Or perhaps it will never actually arrive? 

BTW, Japan Amazon has the big Munch box for about $100, and the big Stravinsky box for about $60. Perhaps those could assuage your disappointment?  :D
It's all good...

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #6948 on: August 09, 2019, 06:19:19 AM »
Alas, Gordo, it is gone.  This recently happened to me at the German Amazon. They had the giant Solti and Menuhin boxes for 99Euros each, and went I went back, the price had leaped back up...
Dammit! It will be great if your order is fulfilled!  :) 
Musica lætitiæ comes medicina dolorum
(Music is a companion to joy and a medicine for pains)

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #6949 on: August 15, 2019, 01:08:36 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z4ZN4A/

Can someone tell me why this set is so ridiculously cheap in MP3 form? Is there something wrong with it? I've heard huge acclaim for this set, maestro Vänskä's earlier of two Sibelius cycles. I'm not even a huge Sibelius guy, and I'm perfectly happy with the Berglund/Bournemouth set that I have, but I'm considering going for this just for the price.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #6950 on: August 15, 2019, 02:39:58 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z4ZN4A/

Can someone tell me why this set is so ridiculously cheap in MP3 form? Is there something wrong with it? I've heard huge acclaim for this set, maestro Vänskä's earlier of two Sibelius cycles. I'm not even a huge Sibelius guy, and I'm perfectly happy with the Berglund/Bournemouth set that I have, but I'm considering going for this just for the price.
It's a great set, mp3's  are cheap.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6951 on: August 15, 2019, 02:51:07 AM »
JPC is having a huge Dacapo sale (some 400 titles). Fans of Langgaard, Holmboe, Riisager, Norgärd, Ruders, arise!

https://www.jpc.de/s/DaCapo+30th+Anniversary?searchtype=campaigntext

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
« Reply #6952 on: August 15, 2019, 11:52:50 PM »
Dammit! It will be great if your order is fulfilled!  :)

Gordo, it came in today! It is a big boy, like the Perahia or Szell boxes.  I am delighted to have it, but rather wish you had gotten it, instead.  I actually have the 3 NY Phil boxes, so probably have the lions share of what is inside...
   To reduce shipping cost, they used cardboard that is little more than paper. One corner of the lid of the Bernie-Box has a split in it, but at this price I would not dream of complaining :)
It's all good...

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #6953 on: August 16, 2019, 06:41:24 AM »
It's a great set, mp3's  are cheap.

So often, they're not.  But that Sibelius/Vanska set has been available at rock-bottom price for many years now.  Perhaps BIS's idea of a Scandi loss leader?

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #6954 on: August 16, 2019, 08:33:35 AM »
So often, they're not.  But that Sibelius/Vanska set has been available at rock-bottom price for many years now.  Perhaps BIS's idea of a Scandi loss leader?
I meant cheap to manufacture. ;) But I would imagine they try to be competitive against Spotify and other streaming services that BIS is offering their content through also.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6955 on: August 16, 2019, 11:17:14 PM »
Lovers of contemporary Classical music might find this KAIROS sale at jpc of interest!

Q

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #6956 on: August 16, 2019, 11:38:44 PM »
I meant cheap to manufacture. ;) But I would imagine they try to be competitive against Spotify and other streaming services that BIS is offering their content through also.

For some time BIS has been licencing their recordings for use in these low bit-rate compilations.  Never quite understood that since they make such a deal of their high-end-no-compromise recording philosophy.  BUT it does mean that there are a lot of really excellent BIS recordings hiding out there under the cover of naff art work and cheap "best of" type compilations. 

Check out Saint-Saens / Glazunov Symphonies / Tchaik Symphonies (later Jarvi Gothenburg cycle) / Debussy / Grieg (REALLY good)

the BIS element is mixed in with other stuff too but at this price worth a look (annoyingly these links only show on UK Amazon....... look for "99 most essential [Saint-Saens]" etc OR "Rise of the Masters [Tchaikovsky]" etc