Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 217540 times)

"Harry" (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Symphonic Addict

Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #10780 on: February 20, 2020, 03:51:10 PM »
GLIÈRE: Symphony no.3  "Ilya Murometz"
a lot of notes with true epic sense and running a little over 72 minutes, but a sweat producer for a normal-size romantic orchestra
Leon Botstein cond.   London S.O.

Fixed.  ;)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #10781 on: February 20, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »

Starting with the Fantasy. It's very good, and Son's aesthetic here goes beyond her usual ultra-clear articulation to allow for some properly placed blurring of the lines, and a measure of romantic melancholia. This may end up being one of the better recordings of this piece. (I will have to compare it to the other... uh... 25 that I own.) ((Anda, Anderszewski, Argerich, 3x Arrau, 1x Ashkenazy, Biss, Bolet, Ciocarlie, Dalberto, 1x Demus, 1x Fiorentino, 2x Fischer, Glemser, Hamelin, Kosuge, Lévinas, Pollini, Rosen, le Sage, Schiff, Uchida, Uhlig. I really should get rid of some of them))

edit: notably, joins Schiff and Rosen in the fairly exclusive club of pianists restoring Schumann's original ending from the manuscript in place of the shorter ending in the first edition.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:20:46 PM by amw »

Offline deprofundis

• Currently Listening to:
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, experimental etc
« Reply #10782 on: February 20, 2020, 03:59:39 PM »
Tonight I,m listening to a triology (kind of), behold Gombert 1-2-3 by the sound and the fury ensemble, fabulous ensemble, fantastic rendition of Gombert works, ORF is a prestigious label and those releases are a living proof of this.

Very amazing albums, perhaps the best Gombert out there , they are gold medalist of renaissance  music, follow whit decent silver  Beauty Farm. I guess they have a reputation to maintain, excellence of polyphony of Franco-Flemish masters, let's hail the sound and the fury and Beauty Farm for great achievement.

Great music for tonight and perhaps I'm expecting a good friend of mine tonight,  what a wonderful day this is, goodnight folks.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #10783 on: February 20, 2020, 07:34:50 PM »
The Mass from this fabulous recording:

R.I.P., Maestro Leeuw
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:38:36 PM by Mirror Image »
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #10784 on: February 20, 2020, 08:58:28 PM »
More Stravinsky -

Duo concertant
Gringolts, Laul

I’m absolutely in love with this work. Of all the chamber pieces I’ve heard Stravinsky, this is one that always stood out to me, although, to be fair, he really composed some incredible chamber music overall. We’re lucky to have as much as we have from him.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #10785 on: February 20, 2020, 10:33:46 PM »
with true epic sense, a bit dependent on the right performance
Fixed. 2x ;)  8)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #10786 on: February 20, 2020, 11:34:16 PM »
Quite interesting!  I found a couple of postings of it on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFpCKKcWMFY

I listened to some of it....hope to revisit it later tonight.  :-)

How did you hear about this composer Jeffrey?

PD
PD
I expect that I impulse bought it having been intrigued by the striking cover of the Naxos release, also being intrigued that he'd written a football inspired work 'Galatasaray' after his favourite team! By the way the piano work on the Argo CD ('Remembering Lycia' - which I thought was a person but is actually a place) is very powerful and, at times, eloquent as well. I only listened to it properly last night. If you want 'Fall of Constantinople' either disc is recommendable, (
or both in my case  ::)):

« Last Edit: Today at 12:00:08 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #10787 on: February 20, 2020, 11:53:13 PM »
In the meantime, still playing discs from the growing pile in front of me, a fine & welcome addition to the select Goossens' discography, only the second recording of his Second Symphony (1945), a job conductor Sir Andrew Davis is well suited for. Recommended.

+1 great disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #10788 on: February 20, 2020, 11:56:53 PM »
How does it compare to the one we all possess, the Istanbul forces - of course not an 'American', but an American nationality Turkish composer - performance on Naxos, I mean?

Oh, I like both of them Johan. I think that the Naxos made more impact on me but that was my first encounter with the work. Both performances are great as far as I'm concerned but the Argo is worth having for 'Remembering Lycia' for Piano and Orchestra. Also, having visited the beautiful Haghia Sophia in Istanbul not long before was another reason why this symphony intrigued me so much. The movement in the symphony which is influenced by Haghia Sophia is a poetic contrast to the crash-bang-wallop of the rest of the symphony (which also appeals to me).
« Last Edit: Today at 12:04:16 AM by vandermolen »