Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7240138 times)

JBS, Brian, Toccata&Fugue, Pat B and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #121560 on: Today at 06:07:19 AM »
Myaskovsky: Symphony No. 27, Cello Concerto in C Minor
Alexander Ivashkin, Russian State Symphony Orchestra, Valery Polyansky
Chandos

First time hearing both works.  Good stuff!
A very fine CD. Sadly Alexander Ivashkin died not so long ago. Two of Miaskovsky's finest works on one CD. I hope that you enjoy them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #121561 on: Today at 06:10:49 AM »
Ives: Three Orchestral Sets
Malmö Symphony Orchestra; Sinclair
Naxos

Novák: In the Tatra Mountains, Lady Godiva & Eternal Longing
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, JoAnn Falletta
Naxos

earlier

Langgaard: Symphonies Nos. 4-6
Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Järvi
Chandos

Great selection! Langgaard's 4th Symphony is my favourite of his symphonies and Novak's 'In the Tatras' is another favourite. He enjoyed climbing mountains as well as depicting them in music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #121562 on: Today at 06:14:05 AM »
Coupled with the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra.
Love the restored original artwork:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #121563 on: Today at 06:14:42 AM »
Coupled with the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra.
Love the restored original artwork:

Notes are all in Japanese but who cares?
 8)

Offline Judith

• Currently Listening to:
    Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #121564 on: Today at 06:24:27 AM »
Have had another marathon today.

Started off with

Both Dvorak Cello Concertos
Steven Isserlis
Mahler Chamber Orchestra
Conducted by Daniel Harding

Wonder if anyone can help me with these concertos.  Someone said that the last movement of New World symphony was featured in one of the Cello Concertos.  I can't spot it unless I'm missing something.

Bruckner
Symphony no 1
Riccardo Chailly
German Symphony Orchestra of Berlin

Tchaikovsky
Manfred Symphony
Riccardo Muti
Philadelphia Orchestra

Couldn't resist listening to this one again.  Have grown to love it.  Like the fact that the same theme runs through all the movements and think it has elements of Swan Lake

Rachmaninov
Piano Concerto no 3
Stephen Hough
Dallas Symphony Orchestra
Conducted by Daniel Harding

My favourite Rachmaninov Piano Concerto🎼🎼

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #121565 on: Today at 06:39:17 AM »
Schenck: The Nymphs of the Rhine Vol. 2, Sonatas 7-12 [Les Voix Humaines]

Schenck was apparently quite a famous gamba virtuoso and these works apparently “call for a high degree of technical expertise in performance”. This may indeed be so but the music and performances over Vols. 1 & 2 do not sound academic as the music flows along smoothly and effortlessly.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #121566 on: Today at 06:45:23 AM »
Decided to listen to all 200+ Bach cantatas. Not at one sitting, of course. On BWV 6 right now.

I, like others here, have done that many times and you are indeed in for a real treat with that particular project. For added interest, however, one year I listened to each cantata on its relevant day in the Liturgical calendar. Best of luck and enjoyment with your listening.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Online Biffo

« Reply #121567 on: Today at 06:53:16 AM »
I, like others here, have done that many times and you are indeed in for a real treat with that particular project. For added interest, however, one year I listened to each cantata on its relevant day in the Liturgical calendar. Best of luck and enjoyment with your listening.

Many times - you have more stamina and persistence than I have. At a second attempt I managed to listen to the Richter 'cycle' (supplemented by Herreweghe & Gardiner) on the appropriate Liturgical day. That accounted for only about one-third of the total. All of them is beyond me, 'many times' is mind boggling.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #121568 on: Today at 06:55:13 AM »
Many times - you have more stamina and persistence than I have. At a second attempt I managed to listen to the Richter 'cycle' (supplemented by Herreweghe & Gardiner) on the appropriate Liturgical day. That accounted for only about one-third of the total. All of them is beyond me, 'many times' is mind boggling.

I should stress, so as not to discourage you, that many times also = over many years.

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #121569 on: Today at 07:01:52 AM »

Thanks!  :)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo