Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 6902264 times)

Roasted Swan, North Star and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline eljr

• The problem with listening...
    • The ejlr "listening to" log.
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #118320 on: Today at 12:31:20 PM »
“You practice and you get better. It’s very simple.”
Philip Glass

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #118321 on: Today at 12:50:48 PM »

There came a point in the 4th suite, maybe in the sarabande, where I said to myself that this is better than what Bach wrote, partly because the instruments better at polyphonic music than a cello. But it’s not just that, what Rubsam does is so imaginative and so tender.

Earlier i listened to some Bach played by Bradley Brookshire, he’s quite digital, but fast and agressive and virtuosic and inhuman.

I completely agree about both Rübsam and Brookshire. I also had the feeling - listening to Rübsam's cello suites, that this was almost too good. Interesting to hear the solo violin S&P soon.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #118322 on: Today at 12:54:19 PM »
I just bought a hi-res FLAC of this and started with the 11th--wow! It might not be quite as scalding as Mravinsky's, in which the Leningrad Phil plays as if their lives depended on it (perhaps they did...), but it is plenty intense on its own. Superb sound, and man, those bass drum eruptions will give your woofers a workout!

Aye, both exquisite, and intense!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #118323 on: Today at 12:56:13 PM »
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5 [Kitajenko]

The wonderfully lyrical pastorale that is the first movement is constantly being undermined by the menacing and sometimes disconcerting counterpoint particularly in the brass section. I really like the Scherzo-like second movement which has a beguiling Trio section. I like the intensity of the slow movement and, like the rest of this work, the orchestration is really wonderful. I find the last movement to be wonderfully engaging and appealing with its ebullient tone and constant forward movement. This is a spirited performance indeed.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #118324 on: Today at 12:59:52 PM »

As operettas go, this one by Imre Kálmán is a bit long - about half an hour longer than, say, Land of Smiles or The Merry Widow, but the production is very well done, with the dialogue bits superimposed on offstage party music and the like. The singing is very good, but I grew tired of Gedda’s unsubtle singing - he never sings less than mf and often blusters through Count Tassilo’s part.

It doesn’t help that the very first sung number belongs to the gipsy girl Manja, graced by Edda Moser’s smokin’ hot performance - talk about luxury casting! When your play your joker first, the rest per force will appear slightly less interesting. Nonetheless, the music is excellent.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #118325 on: Today at 01:53:43 PM »
Langgaard: Antikrist, Prelude, Prologue & Act 1 [Dausgaard]

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.