Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7733938 times)

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #126340 on: December 15, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »
Incendiary performances--serviceable sound.

"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #126341 on: Today at 12:37:53 AM »
Yes,in those days with Paul Hillier they were super stars ,Shining stars. :)
The record bussiness was  still healthy.

Interestingly Rogers Covey-Crump wrote an essay for this release -- I've only just read it -- where he argues that the way that Hilliard harmonise evolved directly from their experience concertising without instruments, and it's absolutely true that, if you compare what they do with Moribus with what Cantica Symphonia and Huelgas Ensemble do, the exotic (pythagorian) harmonies of Hilliard are evident.

The independence of the voices in the Hilliard performance is also astonishing -- they produce really complex textures consistently through all 10 minutes or so, seamless independent counterpoint in two or three or four voices with most of the music devoid of anything which could be described as a "gesture."  It's really challenging music.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:43:45 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #126342 on: Today at 01:04:19 AM »

A surprisingly non- chordal set of French Suites on a Ruckers copy from Paul Parsons. Quite a noisy instrument, but it's not necessarily a bad thing, realistically recorded. I like this recording, the performances are straightforward and small scale, the drama comes from the counterpoint rather than from big rhetorical gestures.
Reminds me a bit of Moroney. I have to go back and listen but I think he's understated but charming too - and he uses a similar-sounding instrument.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.