Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8457130 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #136280 on: Today at 01:09:15 PM »
L Couperin: Suite in A minor [Cummings]

I feel that this well played with a deal of emotional engagement. The recording, however, is a bit on the reverberant side but not enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of the performance. For me these are expressive performances.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #136281 on: Today at 01:11:34 PM »
Bruckner 6 (24/96 stream via Qobuz)

So far very good.  I don't believe I've heard any of Nelsons Bruckner before.  Bright, spacious recording.

Honegger: Symphony No. 2

I'd never heard of any of these works before, but they are very enjoyable.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:51:17 PM by Daverz »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #136282 on: Today at 01:25:15 PM »
Very good performance in great sound. Along with Bakels' 5th and 9th, the best, I think, of his RVW cycle. Still, not quite the equal of Haitink, Boult (Decca), Previn or Handley.

Sarge

Hear, hear!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Traverso

« Reply #136283 on: Today at 01:42:33 PM »
L Couperin: Suite in A minor [Cummings]

I feel that this well played with a deal of emotional engagement. The recording, however, is a bit on the reverberant side but not enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of the performance. For me these are expressive performances.

I agree with you that this a fine recording.

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #136284 on: Today at 01:53:51 PM »
DALI Epicon 2 speakers
SVS SB13 Ultra sub
McIntosh MA9000
Esoteric K-03 SACD player
VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge
Sennheiser HD800s, MrSpeaker Aeon
Oppo 205 Blu-ray player

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #136285 on: Today at 02:23:26 PM »

More superb orchestral works by Günter Raphael, this time in the form of miniatures.

- First there is the Smetana Suite from 1937. Premiered by Jochum despite a nazi ban on the composer’s work. Based on tunes from Smetana’s Bohemian Dances and Polkas. It very much resembles Dvorak’s Czech Suite. What we have here is a 1955 recording from the RSO Berlin under Herbert Kegel.
- Then comes Jabonah, one of Raphael’s most popular works. Composed in 1948 and premiered by Celibidache with the Berlin Philharmonic in 1949. Played here by the NDR Orchestra (Hamburg) under Stokowski, a 1952 recording. Jabonah is a ballet suite on mongolian themes. Funny, because the first movement starts very much like one from a Hugo Alfven piece (I’d have to check which work, but the similarity is striking - maybe mongolian and swedish folklore have common rythms and tunes ?). Raphael later arranged it for violin and piano (included in the CPO set of the violin works) and for piano duet.
- The Sinfonia breve in D from 1949 was premiered by the other Jochum, Georg-Ludwig. Recorded in 1952 by the SDR with the RSO Stuttgart under Carl Schuricht. Instead of the usual 4 movements we get only 3, but it’s the most substantial musically among the works on the disc.
- Zoologica (1958) is a sort of Carnival of the Animals in 9 very brief vignettes. It is played here by the RSO Stuttgart under Rolf Reinhardt.

All the recordings were made by the top of the line radio crews of 1950s Germany (Berlin, Hamburg and Stuttgart). The sound throughout is clear as a bell, wide-ranging and free from any overload or distortion. Were it not for the obvious fact that they are monophonic, I can’t substract anything from the results.

This disc is a nice complement to the 3-disc set of the symphonies on CPO. Raphael was obviously a big thing in Germany between 1927, when his first symphony was premiered by Furtwängler, and his death in 1960. He is all but forgotten today.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #136286 on: Today at 02:56:15 PM »
Because, of Mozart at his best, I can step up the dosage:

“Wolferl”
Quartet in Eb, K. 428
Quartet in Bb, K. 458
Quatuor Ysaÿe
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Zeus

• That Was Fun
« Reply #136287 on: Today at 04:39:44 PM »
Rameau: Une Symphonie Imaginaire
Les Musiciens du Louvre, Marc Minkowski
Archiv Produktion

Another hi-fi revelation.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the distant horizon
« Reply #136288 on: Today at 06:15:52 PM »
Continuing with my traversal of RVW’s symphonies with Thomson’s cycle on Chandos -

Symphony No. 5 in D major
Bryden Thomson, conductor
LSO

After a rather busy day at work, this symphony is like a soothing balm for the soul. One of my favorites from RVW.
“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Zeus

• That Was Fun
« Reply #136289 on: Today at 06:37:50 PM »
The Birth of the Violin
Le Miroir de Musique
Ricercar

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)