Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 7074812 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #119700 on: Today at 10:50:40 AM »
Jean Cras: Legende, violoncelle & orchestre - Henri Demarquette (cello) with the Orchestre Philhamonique de Luxembourg conducted by Jean-Francois Antonioli

Another composer whose music I like.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #119701 on: Today at 12:13:50 PM »

Listening to some middle quartets (Op. 59-2, Op. 74, Op. 95). I think my favorite is the Op. 59-2 in E minor. It's one of the most cohesive and vibrant, besides there are pretty good themes you can hum.

Offline Jamie

« Reply #119702 on: Today at 01:03:00 PM »
The Siebe Henstra section of this pretty wonderful collection...this music is nearly all new to me and I'm finding a lot to enjoy

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #119703 on: Today at 01:55:22 PM »
Haydn: Symphony in D, H.I No.31 - "Horn Signal"

Marvelous composition and interpretation. I thought I needed to rest, but immediately came the mesmerizing adagio of the symphony No.34... Just one more.  :)
Musica lætitiæ comes medicina dolorum
(Music is a companion to joy and a medicine for pains)

Offline Traverso

« Reply #119704 on: Today at 02:32:10 PM »
The Siebe Henstra section of this pretty wonderful collection...this music is nearly all new to me and I'm finding a lot to enjoy

Indeed a fine collection. :)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #119705 on: Today at 04:31:38 PM »
Yoshimatsu - Alto Saxophone Concerto "Cyber Bird":

Despite some noisy sections which are meant to imitate free jazz, this is a spirited, entertaining work.

Howells - Piano Quartet:

A beautiful work, but a bit on the "generic English pastoral" side. That said, the slow movement is quite moving. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the performance, which lacks dynamic subtleties and a more refined tone color I think this work would benefit from.

Wellesz - Symphony no. 1:

This was my first exposure to Wellesz's music. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it - the first two movements are a bit on the "grey" side, but the third and final movement is a gorgeous neo-Brucknerian/Mahlerian adagio!

Dvořák - Piano Quartet no. 1:

For some reason, I didn't think much of this work when I first listened to it a couple years ago - I'm sure glad I revisited it! Though it may not reach the heights of his masterful 2nd piano quartet, it's still a really fine work, with great tunes and imaginative writing. The slow movement is a haunting theme-and-variations, and the spirited third movement creatively combines scherzo and finale. I was extremely impressed by the marvelously sparkling and characterful performance by the Busch Trio and Miguel Da Silva - I shall definitely be looking out for more performances by these talented young artists!

Tveitt - Hardanger Fiddle Concerto no. 1:

This concerto for the hardanger fiddle - which has twice as many strings as a regular violin and a less full-bodied tone - is more than just a novelty. My favorite movement was the catchy finale, which has an almost Copland-like folksy "stomp" and earthiness.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff