Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1761566 times)

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #18260 on: August 20, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »
Too bad Vernet's set is priced as if it's gold plated platinum...
If you are interested in a second set, the Hanssler set is good value for the money. Unless you can in fact find a copy of Vernet that is not priced like gold plated platinum.

Okay, emerged from my hunt for a second Bach organ set (utilizing YouTube to its fullest) with very favorable impressions of several organists: Weinberger, Kooiman et al (their respective parts on the Silbermann set), Alain, Bowyer, Vernet, Isoir, Chapuis, and who knows who else. But one organist stood out for me as a clear favorite: Vernet.

My initial impressions of Vernet were confirmed the more I heard: Vernet is more on the extrovert side compared to Foccroulle, but not lacking in subtlety, with a winning freshness. Foccroulle is still king of the king of instruments in Bach for me, but I'm looking forward to Vernet eagerly.

AND...in a spectacular stroke of luck, Vernet's set has just been reissued (in May)! It's not available in the States so far as I can tell, but it's available at a very attractive price from some of the European Amazons. With the exchange rate FINALLY evening out I snatched up a copy from AmazonDE for $39 US shipped!

Copious tips of the beret, Jeffrey!

https://www.amazon.de/Bach-Ouvre-Orgue-Olivier-Vernet/dp/B06XHSK2HP/ref=pd_sim_15_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1EVWB4Z2954PMXTAE4RX

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kishnevi

« Reply #18261 on: August 20, 2017, 05:04:27 PM »
Crosspost of my reply in Bach Organ thread

Well Hurrah! And well done!

Now everyone else needs to grab it before it goes OOP again!

Too bad they didn't use the wierd cover art of the first set, with Frederick the Great chasing after Augustus of Saxony/Poland and JSB looming godlike above them. Can't have everything.

But wait a sec....that Amazon listing says it is five CDs! The original set had 19 (it included some supplemental discs such as the concertos for multiple keyboards performed on portable organs).  This may only be a highlights set. (Or Amazon made another mistake.)  Although even if it is just a selection, it's still a good purchase.

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #18262 on: August 20, 2017, 05:13:17 PM »
Crosspost of my reply in Bach Organ thread

Well Hurrah! And well done!

Now everyone else needs to grab it before it goes OOP again!

Too bad they didn't use the wierd cover art of the first set, with Frederick the Great chasing after Augustus of Saxony/Poland and JSB looming godlike above them. Can't have everything.

But wait a sec....that Amazon listing says it is five CDs! The original set had 19 (it included some supplemental discs such as the concertos for multiple keyboards performed on portable organs).  This may only be a highlights set. (Or Amazon made another mistake.)  Although even if it is just a selection, it's still a good purchase.
Amazon's mistake clearly, as the cover art says "15 CD" - I suppose those supplementary discs are absent.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

« Reply #18263 on: August 20, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »
Amazon's mistake clearly, as the cover art says "15 CD" - I suppose those supplementary discs are absent.

Blessings on you! With all that purple and white blocking and those stamps of approval I missed that.

The reissue is available from AmazonUS as a download.

The concerto CD was also reissued. Same deal : download in the US, CD from AmazonDE

https://www.amazon.de/Bach-Orgues-Concertos-Alain/dp/B06XJ3HG31/ref=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1503282350&sr=1-9&keywords=Bach+vernet

It's a nice little program all on its own.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #18264 on: August 20, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
Okay, emerged from my hunt for a second Bach organ set (utilizing YouTube to its fullest) with very favorable impressions of several organists: Weinberger, Kooiman et al (their respective parts on the Silbermann set), Alain, Bowyer, Vernet, Isoir, Chapuis, and who knows who else. But one organist stood out for me as a clear favorite: Vernet.

My initial impressions of Vernet were confirmed the more I heard: Vernet is more on the extrovert side compared to Foccroulle, but not lacking in subtlety, with a winning freshness. Foccroulle is still king of the king of instruments in Bach for me, but I'm looking forward to Vernet eagerly.

AND...in a spectacular stroke of luck, Vernet's set has just been reissued (in May)! It's not available in the States so far as I can tell, but it's available at a very attractive price from some of the European Amazons. With the exchange rate FINALLY evening out I snatched up a copy from AmazonDE for $39 US shipped!

Copious tips of the beret, Jeffrey!

https://www.amazon.de/Bach-Ouvre-Orgue-Olivier-Vernet/dp/B06XHSK2HP/ref=pd_sim_15_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1EVWB4Z2954PMXTAE4RX

Oh wow, that's fortunate!  :)

Finally a record company that reissues recordings thst are in demand and run OOP....  :D
À chacun son goût.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #18265 on: August 21, 2017, 02:55:27 AM »
Re Vernet's Bach box, both aFR and aIT (offering the set somewhat more expensive) have a tracklist for 15 discs:
https://www.amazon.fr/Bach-Ouvre-Orgue-Olivier-Vernet/dp/B06XHSK2HP/

The supplemental discs are listed on the back cover of the 19 disc set (click image to enlarge):

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #18266 on: August 21, 2017, 03:40:49 AM »
Oh wow, that's fortunate!  :)

Finally a record company that reissues recordings thst are in demand and run OOP....  :D

+1. Now if only (the new?) Naïve can take a hint!
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #18267 on: August 21, 2017, 03:49:45 AM »
+1. Now if only (the new?) Naïve can take a hint!

How can they when it's too late?
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

• Veteran member
« Reply #18268 on: August 21, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »
How can they when it's too late?

I thought I heard Naïve got bought by some entity and was giving it another go. No?

Parsifal

« Reply #18269 on: August 21, 2017, 06:27:12 PM »
I thought I heard Naïve got bought by some entity and was giving it another go. No?

Until the outfit the buys them goes out of business...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:14:17 PM by Scarpia »

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #18270 on: August 22, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »
Arrived today: more CDs inspired by Reilly/Laurson's book Surprised by Beauty: Fuchs String Quartets

Sarge

Is Fuchs doing it for you? I quite like his music, but I think Bob responds above-average positively to him. (Or is overselling Fuchs just a wee bit.)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #18271 on: August 22, 2017, 12:52:12 AM »

Yes eventually that will happen. But you need patience, there is a lot to be sorted out.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

(Formerly known as Harry's corner)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #18272 on: August 22, 2017, 02:03:37 AM »

Yes eventually that will happen. But you need patience, there is a lot to be sorted out.

Yes, the new buyers do not want to be naive.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #18273 on: August 22, 2017, 02:39:24 AM »
 :laugh:
Yes, the new buyers do not want to be naive.

:laugh: :laugh:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

(Formerly known as Harry's corner)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #18274 on: August 22, 2017, 02:05:14 PM »

Landed today.  Cycle #98.  #93 if you don't count Arrau II, Backhaus II, Gieseking (Tahra), Gilels, and HJ Lim. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Parsifal

« Reply #18275 on: August 22, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »

Amazon france also has the set with a track listing for all 15 discs.

https://www.amazon.fr/LOeuvre-pour-Orgue-J-Bach/dp/B06XHSK2HP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503443911&sr=8-1&keywords=bach+vernet

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #18276 on: August 22, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
I own Vernet's set in a previous incarnation and the 15 discs are laid out differently. The whole shebang seems to have been reshuffled. I wonder why ?

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #18277 on: August 23, 2017, 11:17:12 AM »
Is Fuchs doing it for you?

He is.

(Or is overselling Fuchs just a wee bit.)

Probably, but the music is really attractive. I do not regret the purchase.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #18278 on: August 23, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »

3 sonatas and 2 small pieces for clarinet and piano by Max Reger.

I don't really need this, but for 0.87$ I won't cry if it's a dud.

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #18279 on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »
Latest purchases:

All MP3 to CD upgrades.