Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1685459 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #18480 on: September 17, 2017, 05:24:10 AM »
Got these five discs on the way, the first two ordered a few days ago, the others ordered today:

Lutoslawski: Symphonic Variations; Little Suite; Symphony No. 2; Piano Concerto
National Polish RSO/Wit

Scriabin: Symphony No. 3; Poem of Ecstasy
Moscow SO/Golovschin

Villa-Lobos: Symphonies Nos. 8, 9 & 11
Sao Paolo SO/Karabtchevsky

Lyatoshynsky: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 3
NSO Ukraine/Kuchar

Dyson: Canterbury Pilgrims; At the Tabard Inn (overture); In Honour of the City
London Symphony Chorus
London SO/Hickox

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sounds from Knoxville during the Summer of 1915
« Reply #18481 on: September 17, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
Scriabin: Symphony No. 3; Poem of Ecstasy
Moscow SO/Golovschin

I’m not familiar with this particular recording, but Scriabin’s Symphony No. 3, “The Divine Poem” is my favorite of his orchestral works.
"How awful that the artist has become nothing but the after-dinner mint of society.”

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #18482 on: September 17, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »
From German Amazon.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #18483 on: September 17, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18484 on: September 17, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »

I’d like to hear Mahlerian’s take on Rattle’s Mahler, but I have been less taken with his approach. In regards to this particular 9th performance, Rattle is cautious when he should be freewheeling. I’m thinking mainly of the third movement, Rondo-Burleske. Haitink (Philips), Chailly, and Bernstein reign supreme for me here.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:47:45 AM by Mirror Image »
"How awful that the artist has become nothing but the after-dinner mint of society.”

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #18485 on: September 17, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
I’d like to hear Mahlerian’s take on Rattle’s Mahler, but I have been less taken with his approach. In regards to this particular 9th performance, Rattle is cautious when he should be freewheeling. I’m thinking mainly of the third movement, Rondo-Burleske. Haitink (Philips), Chailly, and Bernstein reign supreme for me here.

I've never been particularly enamored of his interpretations in general and of his Mahler in particular, which is a shame, because his programming in Berlin was quite interesting and varied.  His much-lauded Berlin Tenth didn't impress me all that much, and when another poster on a different forum asked me to try his Ninth, I listened, but found his approach rather underwhelming.  His Seventh at the Proms last year wasn't bad, while I found myself bored by his Second.

Compared to the Mahler conductors I prefer, especially Tennstedt, his take strikes me as less interesting, if not as perverse as the utterly wrong-headed recordings von a very popular conductor.  The one Mahler performance of his I thoroughly loved was a Fourth from Berlin on their live concerts channel.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:03:30 AM by Mahlerian »
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #18486 on: September 17, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »

I like what I sampled, BPO sounded great and recorded with great balance and clarity. Rattle's handling of the finale is lovely, and he truly accentuates the final notes from the violas in the final bars. Rattle does seem cautious quite a bit, but lately I've been appreciating his attention to details in the music. And I find this Mahler 9th greatly detailing the many voices and notations made in the score. 

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18487 on: September 17, 2017, 11:08:13 AM »
I've never been particularly enamored of his interpretations in general and of his Mahler in particular, which is a shame, because his programming in Berlin was quite interesting and varied.  His much-lauded Berlin Tenth didn't impress me all that much, and when another poster on a different forum asked me to try his Ninth, I listened, but found his approach rather underwhelming.  His Seventh at the Proms last year wasn't bad, while I found myself bored by his Second.

Compared to the Mahler conductors I prefer, especially Tennstedt, his take strikes me as less interesting, if not as perverse as the utterly wrong-headed recordings von a very popular conductor.  The one Mahler performance of his I thoroughly loved was a Fourth from Berlin on their live concerts channel.

Thanks for your feedback. I’m quite aware of your attachment to Tennstedt’s Mahler recordings. He’s not a favorite of mine, but will agree on that his live 6th with the LPO is nothing short of miraculous and I’m willing to overlook the less-than-stellar audio quality.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18488 on: September 17, 2017, 11:11:48 AM »
I like what I sampled, BPO sounded great and recorded with great balance and clarity. Rattle's handling of the finale is lovely, and he truly accentuates the final notes from the violas in the final bars. Rattle does seem cautious quite a bit, but lately I've been appreciating his attention to details in the music. And I find this Mahler 9th greatly detailing the many voices and notations made in the score.

As long as you like it then it’s hearsay what myself or anyone else thinks. ;) I suppose, unlike Mahlerian, I like my Mahler perverted. ;D Many listeners do enjoy Rattle’s Mahler, though. I will say that his 7th (w/ the CBSO) is my favorite performance from his Mahler cycle. I believe that was a live recording. It’s been many years since I’ve heard it.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #18489 on: September 17, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »
From German Amazon.

I love Isang Yun's music. His symphonies are quite special. CPO has some chamber msic as wel.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #18490 on: September 17, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »
I love Isang Yun's music. His symphonies are quite special. CPO has some chamber msic as wel.
Excellent, André! John (MI) recommended Yun's music to me, so when I saw that this was offered at a good price, I thought I'd give it a go (though it appears out of stock at present, so who knows if I'll get it..  ::)).

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #18491 on: September 17, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
As long as you like it then it’s hearsay what myself or anyone else thinks. ;) I suppose, unlike Mahlerian, I like my Mahler perverted. ;D Many listeners do enjoy Rattle’s Mahler, though. I will say that his 7th (w/ the CBSO) is my favorite performance from his Mahler cycle. I believe that was a live recording. It’s been many years since I’ve heard it.

I sold my Rattle set. No reason to keep it when I have so many other better sets.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18492 on: September 17, 2017, 02:47:24 PM »
I sold my Rattle set. No reason to keep it when I have so many other better sets.

Quite true.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18493 on: September 17, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
I love Isang Yun's music. His symphonies are quite special. CPO has some chamber msic as well.

Indeed they are. I also mentioned that there’s a fine disc of smaller ensemble works on Naxos and Wergo. I haven’t even mentioned the Camerata releases (The Art of Isang Yun series) to him yet.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #18494 on: September 17, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »

Excellent, André! John (MI) recommended Yun's music to me, so when I saw that this was offered at a good price, I thought I'd give it a go (though it appears out of stock at present, so who knows if I'll get it..  ::)).

The only music from Yun I've heard is from the CD below, his Chamber Symphony. Coupled with a few of Haydn's best, and a great sounding Munich Chamber Orchestra, makes this disc worth it. I would definitely be interested in hearing more from Yun.

kishnevi

« Reply #18495 on: September 17, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
As threatened in my previous post

Merci, André

This arrived yesterday.

kishnevi

« Reply #18496 on: September 17, 2017, 04:45:14 PM »
Ordered last night
The transcribed pieces are by Ravel, Debussy and Mahler.

And this also arrived yesterday, minus the Brahms, which is on backorder. (As is the Venexiana Monteverdi set I ordered the week before.)

kishnevi

« Reply #18497 on: September 17, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »

True. I like his 10th, but not really anything else.  And his Third is the most lumbering boring Third I have ever laid ears on.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #18498 on: September 17, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #18499 on: September 17, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »
The only music from Yun I've heard is from the CD below, his Chamber Symphony. Coupled with a few of Haydn's best, and a great sounding Munich Chamber Orchestra, makes this disc worth it. I would definitely be interested in hearing more from Yun.
That certainly looks like a cool disc, Greg! And so does Tetzlaff Quartet playing Schubert D887 - one of the greatest groups today playing one of the greatest string quartets ever..

Thread duty - there was a decently priced copy of the Arditti/Helffer Xenakis set on Am UK mp, so I snatched it.

My photographs on Flickr