Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1405858 times)

Online André

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #18820 on: October 12, 2017, 04:57:54 AM »
On its way to me from across the pond:

I've heard only a tiny bit of Koechlin's music, but I'm plunging in, Mirror Image-style, with both feet. ;)

I ordered the chamber music set ! The orchestral works set involves lots of duplication, so I'll wait or pass. Decisions, decisions...

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #18821 on: October 12, 2017, 06:20:02 AM »
  I hope you're right  :)

I received an email notifying me that my copy has been dispatched.  Hopefully, it will be here next week.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #18822 on: October 12, 2017, 06:25:01 AM »

I received an email notifying me that my copy has been dispatched.  Hopefully, it will be here next week.
Good thing you ordered when you did. The price has shot up nearly 75% to...6.95 pounds.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #18823 on: October 12, 2017, 06:27:00 AM »
Good thing you ordered when you did. The price has shot up nearly 75% to...6.95 pounds.

Outrageous price gouging!

Offline Biffo

« Reply #18824 on: October 12, 2017, 06:31:31 AM »
Mirror Image - David Zinman also recorded The Jungle Book, for RCA. It is still available from Amazon.co.uk (if that is any use to you) but quite expensive; they do have used copies a lot cheaper. It is an excellent album. I haven't been able to find it to download.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #18825 on: October 12, 2017, 06:42:48 AM »
Mirror Image - David Zinman also recorded The Jungle Book, for RCA. It is still available from Amazon.co.uk (if that is any use to you) but quite expensive; they do have used copies a lot cheaper. It is an excellent album. I haven't been able to find it to download.

I own the two complete cycles of Jungle Book on record: Bedford’s and Zinman’s. Plus, I own the partial cycle with Segerstam on Marco Polo. 8) Thanks for the suggestion, though. I wrote a review for Zinman’s Jungle Book on the Amazon US site. Check it out, I’m under the guise of ‘Transfigured Knight’ there.
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #18826 on: October 12, 2017, 07:44:53 AM »
D'occasion - très bon, from AmFr:

Milhaud's La mort d'un tyran was lavishly praised by none other than Luciano Berio in an interesting series of TV programs he made in the 70s for Italian RAI (available on DVD, but IIRC with no subtitles). I didn't know this recording had been transferred to CD (now very much OOP--not even the label exists any more).

Although the CD claims La mort... is conducted by the composer, images of (what I believe is) the orginal LP release mention Charles Brück.
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Parsifal

« Reply #18827 on: October 12, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »
D'occasion - très bon, from AmFr:

Looks interesting.

For a taste of Milhaud for someone wanting to dip their toe, I'd suggest this collection of works conducted by the composer himself.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #18828 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »
Gerald Barry: The Intelligence Park....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline marvinbrown

• Veteran member
  • Richard Wagner- The God of Opera!
« Reply #18829 on: October 13, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »

Excellent! I too received notification that my copy will be dispatched October 16  :)! Turns out this wasn't a pricing error after all....maybe a promotional gimmick??  Its price has nice jumped to £20.

marvin

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #18830 on: October 13, 2017, 02:38:05 PM »
maybe a promotional gimmick??

Could be.  Whatever it is, I'll take it.

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #18831 on: October 13, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
I've received a notification that the dispatch date has been advanced from Nov 4 to Oct 28. For 6.45£ including shipping I would have been ready to see the date postponed !

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #18832 on: October 13, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
Great haul, Alek! I think you’ll enjoy the Koechlin (imagine a cross-breed of Debussy and early Messiaen). I’m actually rather jealous of you because the work in the orchestral set titled La Méditation de Purun Bhaghat was not included on any of the Holliger-led original issues on Hanssler. This work is a part of his grand cycle of symphonic poems called Le Livre de la Jungle, which very well could be considered his orchestral masterpiece. I might see if I just can’t get this work as a download since I don’t want to fork over the money to buy the box set.

Thanks for the info! I didn't check to confirm that the two sets are a boxing-up of the Hanssler series, but I was pretty confident that they are. (I think I have only one of the original discs. So not much duplication for me.) Nice to see that I'll be getting a "bonus" with the box. (When I get them, that is: I got an email from MDT telling me that they're out of stock at the supplier. But they were pre-orders anyway, so I'll just sit tight.)

Concerning a download of La Méditation de Purun Bhaghat: looks like it isn't singly available from the box set, but you can get the Segerstam performance as an Amazon Prime member (which I'm sure you are).

Looking forward to the Jurowski, too: nicely-varied material there.

I've received a notification that the dispatch date has been advanced from Nov 4 to Oct 28. For 6.45£ including shipping I would have been ready to see the date postponed !

I impulsively ordered this too, even though I'm not a huge fan of Schumann's piano music (maybe this is the set that will win me over!) - as has been said, for that price, why the heck not? But mine is still showing "Not yet dispatched." :(
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #18833 on: October 13, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »
Thanks for the info! I didn't check to confirm that the two sets are a boxing-up of the Hanssler series, but I was pretty confident that they are. (I think I have only one of the original discs. So not much duplication for me.) Nice to see that I'll be getting a "bonus" with the box. (When I get them, that is: I got an email from MDT telling me that they're out of stock at the supplier. But they were pre-orders anyway, so I'll just sit tight.)

Concerning a download of La Méditation de Purun Bhaghat: looks like it isn't singly available from the box set, but you can get the Segerstam performance as an Amazon Prime member (which I'm sure you are).

Looking forward to the Jurowski, too: nicely-varied material there.

I’ve got a good sized Koechlin collection, which includes all of Segerstam’s recordings on Marco Polo. I hope you enjoy this music as much as I have. Koechlin is quite a unique composer.

Yes, the Jurowski set is excellent (from what I’ve heard so far). You’ll enjoy it.
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline GioCar

« Reply #18834 on: October 13, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
Mine hasn't changed the status  :(. Still the same of when I've placed the order (Sept. 29).

Arriving 14 Oct - 17 Oct
Not yet dispatched

Robert Schumann: The Live Complete Solo Piano Works
Dana Ciocarlie
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£4.04
Condition: New

Surely it won't arrive today.

Offline Malx

« Reply #18835 on: October 13, 2017, 11:48:13 PM »

Could be.  Whatever it is, I'll take it.

Todd, could I ask politely what it is you are waiting for.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
  • So much to listen, so little time...
    • Harry's classical music corner
« Reply #18836 on: October 14, 2017, 02:51:24 AM »
I ordered a few interesting CD'S at JPC de.
Opinions about the recordings are welcome and I invite them!

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/10/my-order-for-this-month.html?spref=tw

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #18837 on: October 14, 2017, 02:52:29 AM »
Part II.

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #18838 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:54 AM »
Part III

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #18839 on: October 14, 2017, 03:09:00 AM »
I ordered a few interesting CD'S at JPC de.
Opinions about the recordings are welcome and I invite them!

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/10/my-order-for-this-month.html?spref=tw

The two Van Nevel discs (Le Jeune & Caron) are predictably excellent.

I considered a few of the recordings on Cornetto, notably the one pictured 1st with organ & cornetto ("Zink"), but found the pricetag of ten still a bit too much to gamble with...

Q
À chacun son goût.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK