Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1370989 times)

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #19120 on: November 13, 2017, 10:02:08 AM »
You might also consider a video rather than an audio recording. Being able to see the action may help you make more sense of it (it does for me).

There are many versions available. This one seems to be close to consensus (not that it is necessarily the best, but that it is good).

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #19121 on: November 13, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
I would like to tackle Berg's opera Lulu but I know that I will have some difficulty with it. However, someone here recently advised [apologies but I cannot remember who it was] that in this situation one would be advised to get the Lulu-Suite. I have taken that advice....

That would have been me.  I'm more happy to be listened to and not remembered than remembered and not listened to, so no offense taken whatsoever!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #19122 on: November 13, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
You might also consider a video rather than an audio recording. Being able to see the action may help you make more sense of it (it does for me).

There are many versions available. This one seems to be close to consensus (not that it is necessarily the best, but that it is good).

A good suggestion also so thank you for that.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #19123 on: November 13, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
That would have been me.  I'm more happy to be listened to and not remembered than remembered and not listened to, so no offense taken whatsoever!

Thank you on both counts  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #19124 on: November 13, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »
Just bought the Japanese reissue of this recording:

Of course I bought this for the Martinu, although the Piston work is quite nice. I’m not sure if I’ve heard Menotti’s VC, although it’s not mentioned in the cover I provided.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:32:21 PM by Mirror Image »
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #19125 on: November 14, 2017, 04:20:13 AM »
Went to that evil and dangerous place nearby again that distributes alpha and many other small labels ... took with me the following:

The Binon/Spinette we started playing the the store ... and they told me fuga libera had wasted (well: spent) 2016 without any physical release - glad they're back. This seems to be their next winner in the vocal recital department after the gorgeous "Les Blasphèmes" by Sarah Laulan.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #19126 on: November 14, 2017, 06:48:02 AM »
I've ordered a 10-disc set called The British Symphonic Collection. Chock full of works spanning around a century, the vast majority of which I've never heard before. Plenty of rarely-heard composers that are new to me too. Will look forward to delving into its contents when it arrives.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
  • So much to listen, so little time...
    • Harry's classical music corner
« Reply #19127 on: November 14, 2017, 06:53:19 AM »
I've ordered a 10-disc set called The British Symphonic Collection. Chock full of works spanning around a century, the vast majority of which I've never heard before. Plenty of rarely-heard composers that are new to me too. Will look forward to delving into its contents when it arrives.

Many GMGers have this box including me.
You cannot go wrong with this set. All are in my opinion top notch performances and very good sound.
You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #19128 on: November 14, 2017, 07:00:08 AM »
You cannot go wrong with this set. All are in my opinion top notch performances and very good sound.

An absolute bargain as well! Thanks for the extra recommendation!

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #19129 on: November 14, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
Just bought the Japanese reissue of this recording:

Of course I bought this for the Martinu, although the Piston work is quite nice. I’m not sure if I’ve heard Menotti’s VC, although it’s not mentioned in the cover I provided.

Yep, that’s the one ! Both works were commissioned and premiered by Munch and the BSO. Of course that doesn’t mean this combo owns them, but they certaily display uncommon authority here. Happy listening !

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #19130 on: November 14, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
Yep, that’s the one ! Both works were commissioned and premiered by Munch and the BSO. Of course that doesn’t mean this combo owns them, but they certaily display uncommon authority here. Happy listening !

Thanks, Andre! Looking forward to the performance.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #19131 on: November 14, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »

I dissent regarding the first two CDs, which are devoted to Elgar and Delius.  The Elgar has too much competition, and the Delius is, well, the less said the better. But the other 8 CDs more than make up for them. The Bush CD was an especially good one.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #19132 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
I dissent regarding the first two CDs, which are devoted to Elgar and Delius.  The Elgar has too much competition, and the Delius is, well, the less said the better. But the other 8 CDs more than make up for them. The Bush CD was an especially good one.

Well I tend to see all recordings on their own, and rarely compare them with others. Every performance has to float on its own merits I say.
With this attitude I tend to like also the first two CD'S.
I stopped long ago comparing different interpretations.
With over 50.000 CD'S it sheer impossible. :)
You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #19133 on: November 15, 2017, 04:33:36 AM »
Well I tend to see all recordings on their own, and rarely compare them with others. Every performance has to float on its own merits I say.
And to think, you still have all those opera cds to explore!!! :)
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #19134 on: November 16, 2017, 03:18:53 AM »
So the boxset I mentioned above arrived yesterday, and as if I haven't got enough new music to delve into with that, I picked up these today:

Villa-Lobos: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2
Sao Paulo SO/Karabtchevsky

Hamilton: Requiem
Rosenau Sinfonia/Hamilton

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #19135 on: November 16, 2017, 04:02:22 AM »

This has also become my approach during the last years.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #19136 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:34 AM »
The value of this set resides solely in the rarity of some of the repertoire.  Whenever and wherever Bostock comes up against comparative versions his performances come across as lacking both musically and technically.  He really is a very dull conductor.

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #19137 on: November 16, 2017, 04:30:13 AM »

Agree with you wholeheartedly, and wish more felt the same.   :)

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #19138 on: November 16, 2017, 04:44:39 AM »
The value of this set resides solely in the rarity of some of the repertoire.  Whenever and wherever Bostock comes up against comparative versions his performances come across as lacking both musically and technically.  He really is a very dull conductor.

I for one disagree with you and many  GMG ers too.
I think this a bold statement to say that Bostock is dull.
I think you are easily bored.

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #19139 on: November 16, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
Harry - no I'm not easily bored - but I can tell when an orchestra is playing as if its bored.  The Bax 6 has to be quite possibly the slackest worst commercial recording of any Bax Symphony - and that includes the Guildford PO's No.4.  Likewise the RVW Job.  His Nielsen cycle with the RLPO is a case in point - perfectly good playing because its a very good orchestra but can anyone here really say with their hands on their hearts that they would choose Bostock in any of those symphonies over other versions - surely not. 

Sadly, and I say this with no particular pleasure or relish - Bostock is a journeyman conductor.  Pretty safe pair of hands - is unlikely ever to really offend interpretatively but likewise will never open the doors of perception either.  But should that be such a surprise - as with everything - real genius should be a rare and precious thing.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK