Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1410757 times)

Online North Star

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #19420 on: December 07, 2017, 05:03:23 AM »
From Amazon Italy, there's my Christmas shopping done  0:)

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #19421 on: December 07, 2017, 05:12:06 AM »
From Amazon Italy, there's my Christmas shopping done  0:)

Goodness.... ???

Two of my personal ALL TIME favourites!  :)  :)

And naturally The Leiden Choirbooks set will end up at the top of 2017 Purchases list....

Q
À chacun son goût.

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #19422 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:16 AM »
Goodness.... ???

Two of my personal ALL TIME favourites!  :)  :)

And naturally The Leiden Choirbooks set will end up at the top of 2017 Purchases list....

Q
I'm glad you approve, Q8)
The Ross/Scarlatti I've been listening via Youtube, as it wasn't always so decently priced.. What I've heard/read of the Leiden set has been mouthwatering.

My photographs on Flickr

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #19423 on: December 07, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »
Good day, Karlo and Que!

Not that I'd go for either of those sets, but the prices you got, Karlo, look like an excellent deal. Evviva amazon.it!  :)

My more modest Christmas shopping (well, if you exclude the Liszt / Leslie Howard mega-box, which might be waiting at home for me when I'm back from work :) ):

I was greatly impressed by Blomdahl (particularly, his Symphony No. 3, "Facetter" and the suite from the ballet Sisyphos) when I revisited his music a couple of days ago. Pity his scandal-provoking cantata Anabase (on texts of a poet I much admire, Saint-John Perse) seems never to have been recorded.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:33:44 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #19424 on: December 07, 2017, 06:55:55 AM »
Good day, Karlo and Que!

Not that I'd go for either of those sets, but the prices you got, Karlo, look like an excellent deal.Evviva amazon.it!  :)
G'day, Rafael!
Yes, I've noted those prices already a few months back actually. Some boxes tend to be offered there for very good prices. . .

My photographs on Flickr

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #19425 on: December 07, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »
Good day, Karlo and Que!

Not that I'd go for either of those sets, but the prices you got, Karlo, look like an excellent deal.Evviva amazon.it!  :)

My more modest Christmas shopping (well, if you exclude the Liszt / Leslie Howard mega-box, which might be waiting at home for me when I'm back for work :) ):

I was greatly impressed by Blomdahl (particularly, his Symphony No. 3, "Facetter" and the suite from the ballet Sisyphos) when I revisited his music a couple of days ago. Pity his scandal-provoking cantata Anabase (on texts of a poet I much admire, Saint-John Perse) seems never to have been recorded.

I am a big fan of his opera Anaria.  Best SciFi opera I have ever heard.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #19426 on: December 07, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
I am a big fan of his opera Anaria.  Best SciFi opera I have ever heard.

How many of them there are?  :)
Regele şi Patria!

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19427 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
-10 % coupon from JPC used this way:

This means finally completing the Suzuki cycle of Bach's church cantatas on BIS. It was a hard and long 20 years long journey.  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #19428 on: December 07, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »
Zais is an interesting Rameau, rarely performed compared to Les Indes Galantes or Hippolyte et Aricie

The ouverture, quite famous, gives a musical illustration of chaos.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #19429 on: December 07, 2017, 03:13:42 PM »

This means finally completing the Suzuki cycle of Bach's church cantatas on BIS. It was a hard and long 20 years long journey.  ???
Congratulations!

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #19430 on: December 07, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »

The Buxtehude is a nice gem.

TD
Stage four (and for now the last installment) of my Martinu project, with a British change of pace added in

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #19431 on: December 07, 2017, 08:50:25 PM »
Jeffrey strikes again with more Martinu! 8) Good to see you’re still exploring his music.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:07:16 PM by Mirror Image »
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #19432 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:55 PM »
How many of them there are?  :)

Of the top of my head I can think of several.

Menotti's Help, Help, the Globolinks!

Tod Machover composed the opera Valis which is based on a novel by Phillip K. Dick.

Aulis Sallinen's The King Goes Forth To France.  His Palista, though technically not strictly a science fiction story, for me has the feel of one.

Thomas Ades opera The Exterminating Angle had science fiction elements.  It could pass as an episode of The Twilight Zone.  Although most would probably consider it a fantasy.

Margaret Atwood's novel The Handmaid's Tale is considered science fiction by the science fiction community.  It did receive the Arthur C. Clarke Award in 1987.  Poul Ruders composed an opera based on the novel.

Michael Tippett's New Year(1989) features a spaceship and time travelers from the future.

Leoš Janáček's The Makropulos Affair is based on a science fiction play by Karel Čapek.

There are probably a few others.

Of course it depends on ones definition of science fiction.  The science fiction community considers alternant realities and dystopias as science fiction even if they do not take place in space.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #19433 on: December 08, 2017, 01:32:21 AM »
Of the top of my head I can think of several.

Menotti's Help, Help, the Globolinks!

Tod Machover composed the opera Valis which is based on a novel by Phillip K. Dick.

Aulis Sallinen's The King Goes Forth To France.  His Palista, though technically not strictly a science fiction story, for me has the feel of one.

Thomas Ades opera The Exterminating Angle had science fiction elements.  It could pass as an episode of The Twilight Zone.  Although most would probably consider it a fantasy.

Margaret Atwood's novel The Handmaid's Tale is considered science fiction by the science fiction community.  It did receive the Arthur C. Clarke Award in 1987.  Poul Ruders composed an opera based on the novel.

Michael Tippett's New Year(1989) features a spaceship and time travelers from the future.

Leoš Janáček's The Makropulos Affair is based on a science fiction play by Karel Čapek.

There are probably a few others.

Of course it depends on ones definition of science fiction.  The science fiction community considers alternant realities and dystopias as science fiction even if they do not take place in space.

Thanks. I wouldn't classify Čapek's play as science fiction, though. According to Wiki, Science fiction (often shortened to SF or sci-fi) is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life. . None of these is present in the play.
Regele şi Patria!

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #19434 on: December 08, 2017, 02:25:12 AM »
This was not so clearly delineated in Capek's time. Lots of stuff we'd consider fantasy or something else today was grouped together with SF. Capek's "War with the newts" is grotesque satire but it could also be thought of as Fantasy/SF.

"The country of the blind" (story from HG Wells, opera by Turnage) would be another such case.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19435 on: December 08, 2017, 03:45:36 AM »
Congratulations!

Thanks!  :)

The Buxtehude is a nice gem.

Almost didn't include it.  :o
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Online king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #19436 on: December 08, 2017, 06:10:06 AM »
lately:

and some stuff for reading, too:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #19437 on: December 08, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
I´ve had some of Brilliant´s Mozart boxes, starting with am early 40 CD set "Masterworks", which my local discount supermarket had on a very cheap sale once, together with similar boxes for Vivaldi, Händel, Beethoven and Bach. In the end, I kept the Händel box, most of the Vivaldi box, a bit of the Bach box, and sold the Beethoven box. Overall, I also felt the recordings in that Mozart box disappointing, and eventually I sold it.

Later, I tried a very cheap Brilliant´s Mozart Complete Piano Works played by Baart van Oort, but the HIP sound and the playing wasn´t to my taste, so I sold that one too.

At some inexpensive sales, I then bought the Concert Arias box from the Mozart Complete Works edition and decided to keep it, due to the rare repertoire there, even though the performance quality was mixed. Also the Complete Masses box with Mattl, which I sold when I got Harnoncourt´s box in stead, prefering his recordings, and others in the more well-known works.

Later, I got the Chamber Music for Strings box, which is OK, the String Trio for example being good.
And the Complete Piano Sonatas with Klara Würtz, which is likewise quite good.

But seeing this second-hand box of the Mozart Complete Works 169 CDs (one unimportant CD is missing, some early symphonies K199-201 with Ter Linden, works I own in other recordings) for DKK 35 (around 4.50 Euros), I decided to buy that one, and get rid of the other ones I´ve kept so far, since they are contained in it.

It´s nice to have his complete works after all, including many rarities, and for example Pommer´s recordings of some early operas (which I´m listening to now), are really delighful. The Horn Concertos with Goodman has accompanying harpsichord, to a nice effect, etc. etc. But there are a good deal of CDs here I´ll never want to listen to as well.

We´ve got some great sales here in Copenhagen, and I´ve not seen similar, extremely low prices for second hand stuff anywhere. Only problem is that most of one´s own common CDs are quite worthless too, if one wants to sell them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:01:54 AM by Turner »

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #19438 on: December 08, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »
Some scrollo-rama postings in this thread!

I simply ordered this:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:10:55 AM by The new erato »

Online king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #19439 on: December 08, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »
Some scollo-rama postings in this thread!

Apologies! Nearly two months between jobs and traveling/on vacation ... and there's so much stuff coming out this autumn, it's quite crazy (and amazon.de had some 3 for 2 deals, plus the stuff I was hunting independently of all that ...)

Re: Ediciciones Singulares - there's a new Gounod cantatas etc. two-disc-set coming soon!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK