Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1517596 times)

Baron Scarpia, The new erato and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #20040 on: February 13, 2018, 03:59:34 AM »
A classic!  0:)

. . . as, I now see, Bruce has said  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)
    The sounds of Mother Goose, The Child, & the Spells
« Reply #20041 on: February 13, 2018, 07:50:32 AM »
Just bought:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:59:16 AM by Mirror Image »
“I did my work slowly, drop by drop. I tore it out of me by pieces.” - Maurice Ravel

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #20042 on: February 14, 2018, 01:40:49 AM »
delivered from JPC yesterday:

The Leonhardt Edition goes for a tener, so I ignored all the duplication (SEON, Vivarte), the Kasarova for 4€ (don't know her, but at that price giving it a shot)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #20043 on: February 14, 2018, 01:46:15 AM »
delivered from JPC yesterday:

Haven't seen that here for quite a while, a very nice and interesting recording.

The Leonhardt Edition goes for a tener, so I ignored all the duplication (SEON, Vivarte)

Though I rate his Philips recordings (even) higher, it's a steal!  :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #20044 on: February 14, 2018, 02:27:24 AM »
Though I rate his Philips recordings (even) higher, it's a steal!  :)

Q

That would be the "Legend" set, 15 discs as well?
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
  • So much to listen, so little time...
    • Harry's classical music corner
« Reply #20045 on: February 14, 2018, 02:38:12 AM »
My Valentine present which I got today is a pearl in my collection.

Its an Organ CD from the New Arp Schnitger organ, built by Bernhardt Edskes and transferred in October 2017 to the Stichting Reconstructie Schnitger orgel, Lutherse Kerk Groningen The Netherlands. Edskes use to say that he was aiming towards Gravity, brilliance and poetry. This is the first commercial recording of this new organ by the Church organist Tymen Jan Bronda. It was recorded in September 2017 at 24 bit/88,2 khz, by Robert Kooistra. Pitch is a'=415 Hz, Kammerton, Tuning after Arnolt Schlick. Wind pressure 78,9 mm. Its has in the Manual a 16 f Fagot, in the Pedal 16 f Bourdon and 16 f Bazuin, to give an impression of the disposition.
Works on the CD are by:
Buxtehude/Bohm/ Frescobaldi/Weckmann/J.S. Bach/Scheidemann. The second disc is a DVD with  interviews, amongst them with Ton Koopman, Masaaki Suzuki . It was recorded live when the organ was introduced. In between there are samples of music, to explain.

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #20046 on: February 14, 2018, 02:54:49 AM »
A relatively obscure Don Giovanni, from the early 50s, conducted by Max Rudolf and with an almost completely Italian cast. Giuseppe Taddei as the lead is better known for his leporello in the later, classic Giulini recording on EMI, and Cesare Valletti as Don Ottavio is a great attraction for me. Let's see how it is (the reviews are generally favorable).

But the cover, oh the cover!  :o ???
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #20047 on: February 14, 2018, 03:05:08 AM »
My Valentine present which I got today is a pearl in my collection.

Its an Organ CD from the New Arp Schnitger organ, built by Bernhardt Edskes and transferred in October 2017 to the Stichting Reconstructie Schnitger orgel, Lutherse Kerk Groningen The Netherlands. Edskes use to say that he was aiming towards Gravity, brilliance and poetry. This is the first commercial recording of this new organ by the Church organist Tymen Jan Bronda. It was recorded in September 2017 at 24 bit/88,2 khz, by Robert Kooistra. Pitch is a'=415 Hz, Kammerton, Tuning after Arnolt Schlick. Wind pressure 78,9 mm. Its has in the Manual a 16 f Fagot, in the Pedal 16 f Bourdon and 16 f Bazuin, to give an impression of the disposition.
Works on the CD are by:
Buxtehude/Bohm/ Frescobaldi/Weckmann/J.S. Bach/Scheidemann. The second disc is a DVD with  interviews, amongst them with Ton Koopman, Masaaki Suzuki . It was recorded live when the organ was introduced. In between there are samples of music, to explain.

Sounds very interesting, but I suppose the set is practically unavailable to usual mortals outside Holland.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #20048 on: February 14, 2018, 03:10:23 AM »

Sounds very interesting, but I suppose the set is practically unavailable to usual mortals outside Holland.

I will research that issue and let you know
You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

• Veteran member
« Reply #20049 on: February 14, 2018, 03:14:13 AM »
I will research that issue and let you know

Thanks.
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #20050 on: February 14, 2018, 03:29:42 AM »
Thanks.

Renaissance: Groningen Lutherse Kerk
18/01/2018 ~ ANDREW BENSON-WILSON
Tymen Jan Bronda, organ
Colophon LBE 2017. 76’59

Music by Frescobaldi, Scheidemann Buxtehude, Bõhm, Weckmann, and Bach.

The 2017 Groningen Schnitger Festival (reviewed here) focussed on the opening of the new organ in the Lutherse Kerk, a reconstruction of the Schnitger organ that was built for the church in 1699, with extensions to Schnitger’s plans in 1717. Schnitger gifted the organ to the Lutheran community in recognition of the time he and his German workforce spent in the church while working in Groningen on the now internationally famous organs in the Martinikerk and Aa-Kerk. Since 2001 the Lutherse Kerk reintroduced the tradition of Bach cantatas into the services, leading to the foundation of the period instrument Luthers Bach Ensemble and plans for an organ suitable for use with Bach cantatas. The Groningen born but Swiss-based organ builder Bernhardt Edskes was commissioned to build the new organ, based on the 1717 incarnation of the original Schnitger organ. This CD by church organist Tymen Jan Bronda is the first to be made of the new Schnitger organ.

The CD programme is well suited to the style of the organ, particularly the pre-Bach North German repertoire for which Schnitger organs were so appropriate. These were the organs that Bach experienced in his youth, so the inclusion of some Bach (albeit composed later than his North German time and for the very different organs of Saxony and Thuringia) is appropriate. The seemingly incongruous inclusion of Frescobaldi, whose organs were entirely different, acknowledges the influence that he had on North German composers.

Unlike the two large Schnitger organs in Groningen, both of which speak into large acoustics, the Lutherse Kerk is a small church with a dry acoustic. The acoustic is often referred to as the ‘most important stop on the organ’, but a less friendly acoustic does have the ability to focus on the detail of the music, and the playing. Organs in venues like this are excellent for practising on, but scary to play in public as every tiny slip will be exposed. Tymen Jan Bronda’s playing is neat and well-articulated, demonstrating an appreciation of a suitably period style of performance. The two three-verse pieces by Mattias Weckmann (Nun freut euch and Ach wir armen Sunder) are particularly effectively played, as well as being very fine pieces. Scheidemann’s dramatic Dic nobis Maria is a powerful example of one of the duties of a Hamburg organist – to play intabulation on the motet that would have been sung if the city choir was not singing elsewhere at the time. For this example, he introduces compositional aspects of the North German choral fantasia genre.

The recording quality is reasonable although, because of the nature of the acoustic, there is some action and (I think) pedal clunks that could perhaps have been edited out. The gaps between the tracks also fade to complete silence, rather than retaining the usual ‘silent’ acoustic background of an empty space. There is a bonus DVD which includes interviews with Ton Koopman (in Dutch) and Masaaki Suzuki, together with pieces by J.S. Bach recorded live during the inaugural concert on 31 October 2017 – In dir ist Freude and the motet Singet dem Herrn. Programme notes are in english, Dutch, and German and include  the organ specification and registrations for the pieces. I am not sure how accessible this CD will be in shops outside of The Netherlands, but it can be ordered via the email cd_bestellen@kpnmail.nl at €15, plus shipping costs.

(If it is not possible to order from outside the Netherlands I could, if there are enough people wanting it, order it and send it around Europe.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:32:02 AM by Harry's corner »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #20051 on: February 14, 2018, 04:04:08 AM »
That would be the "Legend" set, 15 discs as well?

Yep, now reissued on Decca by Universal, since the right to carry the Philips name expired:

I always had a uncomfortable relationship with Leonhardt as a (solo) harpsichordist, that I mostly knew from his Teldec (Warner) recordings. But thanks to Leonhardt's longevity, I've discovered his later recordings are best. A question of showing more emotion and applying less dogmatic rigour, that's all it took....

His Seon/Sony recordings are very nice indeed, but most in the Philips set reaches the sublime and can duly be called "legendary".
Note that it's not all harpsichord repertoire: there are quite some (secular) Bach cantate recordings in there as well. Which I love, and they are top performances.

Q
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:09:09 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #20052 on: February 14, 2018, 04:31:43 AM »
Yep, now reissued on Decca by Universal, since the right to carry the Philips name expired:

I always had a uncomfortable relationship with Leonhardt as a (solo) harpsichordist, that I mostly knew from his Teldec (Warner) recordings. But thanks to Leonhardt's longevity, I've discovered his later recordings are best. A question of showing more emotion and applying less dogmatic rigour, that's all it took....

His Seon/Sony recordings are very nice indeed, but most in the Philips set reaches the sublime and can duly be called "legendary".
Note that it's not all harpsichord repertoire: there are quite some (secular) Bach cantate recordings in there as well. Which I love, and they are top performances.

Q

Thanks for the pitch - sounds good indeed! Not really all that familiar with Leonhardt myself yet, but I will keep this in mind if I feel like exploring more!

What about his output on alpha? There's a box there, too ... were those original alpha productions?
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline The One

« Reply #20053 on: February 14, 2018, 04:34:16 AM »
other recent arrivals:

I've received this my only HIP symphony recording of Dvorak, too, but it's still in listening queue. I don't know why I don't listen to it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:57:30 AM by The One »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #20054 on: February 14, 2018, 04:37:02 AM »
What about his output on alpha? There's a box there, too ... were those original alpha productions?

Alpha was his last label, and those recordings are for me still to explore as well....  :)

But as I recall they have been receiving very good press here.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Draško

« Reply #20055 on: February 14, 2018, 05:01:06 AM »
Thanks for the pitch - sounds good indeed! Not really all that familiar with Leonhardt myself yet, but I will keep this in mind if I feel like exploring more!

I have two of his Alpha recordings: Byrd and L.Couperin/Frescobaldi and bot are very good.

My favorite Leonhardt recordings are four he recorded for DHM: L.Couperin, F.Couperin, Froberger and Frescobaldi. These:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8002570--couperin-suites-and-pavane
https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8002571--frescobaldi-il-primo-libro-di-capricci
https://www.amazon.de/Werke-Für-Cembalo-Gustav-Leonhardt/dp/B0009W4M3U
https://www.amazon.de/Pieces-Clavecin-Gustav-Leonhardt/dp/B0009W4M44

Louis Couperin one probably my favorite harpsichord disc ever.

• Veteran member
« Reply #20056 on: February 14, 2018, 05:10:54 AM »
18/01/2018 ~ ANDREW BENSON-WILSON
Tymen Jan Bronda, organ
Colophon LBE 2017. 76’59

I am not sure how accessible this CD will be in shops outside of The Netherlands, but it can be ordered via the email cd_bestellen@kpnmail.nl at €15, plus shipping costs.

(If it is not possible to order from outside the Netherlands I could, if there are enough people wanting it, order it and send it around Europe.

Even if the Dutch sellers are willing to send the CD to me, they usually demand, that the money are transferred to their bank account, before they send the CD. Such a bank transfer costs in my country in the range of 40 Euro. even for transferring only 15 Euros.

For that reason I am very interested in your offer to act as "mediator".
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #20057 on: February 14, 2018, 05:16:23 AM »
Even if the Dutch sellers are willing to send the CD to me, they usually demand, that the money are transferred to their bank account, before they send the CD. Such a bank transfer costs in my country in the range of 40 Euro. even for transferring only 15 Euros.

For that reason I am very interested in your offer to act as "mediator".

As of this year, banks can only charge a "national" rate for transfers within the EU:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/financial-products-and-services/payments-transfers-cheques/index_en.htm

So, unless your bank violates EU law - problem solved....

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #20058 on: February 14, 2018, 05:21:02 AM »

I have that Alpha box, and enjoy all of it very much indeed. I'm missing the Decca/Philips, and it seems I will have to fix that soon..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #20059 on: February 14, 2018, 05:47:45 AM »
Thanks all for chiming in re: Leonhardt on alpha! Appreciated!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK