Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1732930 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #20320 on: March 13, 2018, 09:22:22 PM »
Also bought tonight:

“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #20321 on: March 13, 2018, 09:43:48 PM »
I have found that USPS does not update tracking as often as they could, with the CD delivered while the tracking was last updated a week ago. To balance that out, however, they claimed a CD was delivered the day before it was actually put in my mailbox.

I've experienced that bit where the tracking says it's delivered and it doesn't show up until the next day. I think it is a sign of a lazy letter carrier that forgets to drop a package and just figures its easier to mark it delivered and save it for tomorrow.

One thing I've noticed is that whenever a CD originates from Hebron Kentucky there is no further tracking until it is at my local post office, I think because there is a huge Amazon fulfillment center in Hebron and the USPS has a mega hub there. If a CD originates somewhere else it bounces around the country like it's in a pinball machine, which is more fun to watch on tracking, but ultimately slower.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #20322 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:26 AM »
Also bought tonight:

I'd be interested in your views at some point on the various takes of Barber's choral works. I seem to remember you were listening to one in the last couple of days. But there aren't that many recordings about. I know there are some recordings (is this one?) where people have done their own arrangements.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20323 on: March 14, 2018, 05:43:16 AM »
I'd be interested in your views at some point on the various takes of Barber's choral works. I seem to remember you were listening to one in the last couple of days. But there aren't that many recordings about. I know there are some recordings (is this one?) where people have done their own arrangements.

I was listening to Barber’s The Prayers of Kierkegaard the other day and what a great work it is. No, this recording, which features The Lovers, is Barber’s original arrangement, which was written for baritone, chorus, and orchestra.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline Traverso

« Reply #20324 on: March 14, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
I just purchased this set,can't go wrong with this one.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20325 on: March 14, 2018, 07:56:28 AM »
Just bought:

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #20326 on: March 14, 2018, 07:58:07 AM »
I just purchased this set,can't go wrong with this one.

That is really fine.

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #20327 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
Review the options and concluded that this Debussy edition is the most appealing to me.

Offline Traverso

« Reply #20328 on: March 14, 2018, 08:24:32 AM »
That is really fine.

Do you have this box?

Here a quote of Willem Tanke who plays all the organ works

"When I play music from Messiaen on the organ, it is as if a substance is being made in my brain. You come in a strange state. The air vibrates. Those vibrations produce a yellow color. The strange thing is that I do not see that color, as Messiaen saw colors when he heard music. The yellow is just there. I listen a lot to the music of tenor saxophonist John Coltrane, for example the song My favorite things. That evokes a similar feeling. "

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #20329 on: March 14, 2018, 08:27:40 AM »
Do you have this box?

Here a quote of Willem Tanke who plays all the organ works

"When I play music from Messiaen on the organ, it is as if a substance is being made in my brain. You come in a strange state. The air vibrates. Those vibrations produce a yellow color. The strange thing is that I do not see that color, as Messiaen saw colors when he heard music. The yellow is just there. I listen a lot to the music of tenor saxophonist John Coltrane, for example the song My favorite things. That evokes a similar feeling. "

I do have it, and it is one of the rare boxes that I have listened all the way through without being distracted.

Offline Traverso

« Reply #20330 on: March 14, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
I do have it, and it is one of the rare boxes that I have listened all the way through without being distracted.

That sounds very promising. :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20331 on: March 14, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Review the options and concluded that this Debussy edition is the most appealing to me.

Excellent! I hope you enjoy it, Scarpia. I’m glad to have this set in my collection for many of the transcriptions that are hard to find elsewhere (some of the arrangements are cool and several of them are rather useless to me). This said, the DG set, however, is now one of my most prized possessions as I’m not as interested in transcriptions as I am with what composer did in a work’s original form.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #20332 on: March 14, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »

I am no opera expert but I find the Abbado version of Boris Godunov to be wonderful. I have an older version of that one. Happy listening.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #20333 on: March 14, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »
Excellent! I hope you enjoy it, Scarpia. I’m glad to have this set in my collection for many of the transcriptions that are hard to find elsewhere (some of the arrangements are cool and several of them are rather useless to me). This said, the DG set, however, is now one of my most prized possessions as I’m not as interested in transcriptions as I am with what composer did in a work’s original form.

The Warner set was a no-brainer because of the coverage of the songs and two-piano music. In both versions the major works are mostly irrelevant since they are represented by recordings which I already have or which I don’t care for.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20334 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »
The Warner set was a no-brainer because of the coverage of the songs and two-piano music. In both versions the major works are mostly irrelevant since they are represented by recordings which I already have or which I don’t care for.

Again, it comes back to transcriptions and if this is what you’re after, you’ll get plenty of them in the Warner set (not that they don’t exist in the DG set of course). There are four discs of melodies in the DG and I don’t see any of these performances being bettered. In other words, I’m quite content here, but I did recently purchase a disc on Naive with soprano Sandrine Piau (w/ Immerseel on piano) that sounds quite promising.

Offline Josquin13

« Reply #20335 on: March 14, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »
Here are my latest orders: I've added three more CDs from the BIS Vagn Holmboe series (I'm hoping to collect the whole series eventually), the wonderful violinist Lisa Batiashvili playing Prokofiev (her latest CD), plus, two vocal groups that are new to me--Apollo 5 & Ingenium Ensemble--performing the motet "Factum est autem" by Josquin Desprez and a parody mass based on Jean Richafort's motet "Quem dicunt homines", which is possibly by Josquin, and finally, a documentary film on Claude Debussy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #20336 on: March 14, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
You might want to fix those links (or better yet, use the asin codes)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #20337 on: March 14, 2018, 10:40:19 AM »

Bought another Bluebeard I didn’t own:

That Blaubart disc has the advantage of a rare and superb coupling. A hauntingly beautiful cantata.

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #20338 on: March 14, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Again, it comes back to transcriptions and if this is what you’re after, you’ll get plenty of them in the Warner set (not that they don’t exist in the DG set of course). There are four discs of melodies in the DG and I don’t see any of these performances being bettered. In other words, I’m quite content here, but I did recently purchase a disc on Naive with soprano Sandrine Piau (w/ Immerseel on piano) that sounds quite promising.

There our tastes differ, because it was mainly because the lineup of artists in the melodies seemed more to my taste in the Warner set that I decided to go that way.  Glad to hear you are enjoying the DG set.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20339 on: March 14, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »
There our tastes differ, because it was mainly because the lineup of artists in the melodies seemed more to my taste in the Warner set that I decided to go that way.  Glad to hear you are enjoying the DG set.

Thanks, well I’m sure the Warner set will bring you a lot of enjoyment as well. :)