Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1760279 times)

kishnevi

Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #20360 on: March 16, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »
Do let me know what you think of this recording, Jeffrey. I was rather impressed by Pollini’s Études in the Debussy DG box.

I think the only Pollini I have not liked was a Stockhausen piece. No doubt the fact that in general I don't like Stockhausen was the important thing in that, so no blame there. (That's not to say Pollini is the bee's knees in everything, just that he is generally high quality).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #20361 on: March 16, 2018, 07:37:34 PM »
I think the only Pollini I have not liked was a Stockhausen piece. No doubt the fact that in general I don't like Stockhausen was the important thing in that, so no blame there. (That's not to say Pollini is the bee's knees in everything, just that he is generally high quality).

Yeah, Stockhausen definitely isn’t my thing for sure. Everything I’ve heard from Pollini has also been great.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #20362 on: March 17, 2018, 04:03:01 AM »
Ordered two items today.

I am rather curious about the British Symphonies box, because of the many different interpretations of many works I already have.

The Foerster sounds amazing.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

(Formerly known as Harry's corner)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20363 on: March 17, 2018, 05:29:41 AM »
I hope you enjoy Foerster’s music more than I have, Harry. I find his music dreadfully drab.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #20364 on: March 17, 2018, 06:17:17 AM »
I hope you enjoy Foerster’s music more than I have, Harry. I find his music dreadfully drab.

I almost have all his chamber works, and many of his orchestral works. For me he is one of the best composers in my collection :)
So you could say I enjoy it very much. ;)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

(Formerly known as Harry's corner)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20365 on: March 17, 2018, 06:42:38 AM »
More Debussy on the way...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20366 on: March 17, 2018, 07:44:29 AM »
I almost have all his chamber works, and many of his orchestral works. For me he is one of the best composers in my collection :)
So you could say I enjoy it very much. ;)

Yeah, I guess he’s just not my cup of tea. I like something a bit more native in my Czech music. ;)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20367 on: March 17, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
 :) Recommended by Turner to help my confusion:

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Traverso

« Reply #20368 on: March 18, 2018, 06:06:26 AM »
Messiaen  Jennifer Bate

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #20369 on: March 18, 2018, 07:44:37 AM »

More Amazon Add-on picks.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #20370 on: March 18, 2018, 09:29:20 AM »

Chamber music from early, middle and late Silvestrov, with the indefatigable Jenny Lin.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20371 on: March 18, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »
Just bought:

The Rachmaninov PTs recording comes highly recommended from Jens (SurprisedByBeauty).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20372 on: March 18, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »
Just bought:

How I managed to snag a copy of Jacobs’ set of Debussy’s Préludes for a decent price is beyond me, but hopefully it arrives in the desired condition I bought it in. Jacobs, for me, has that right Debussy touch and I’m quite looking forward to hearing him in one of favorite piano works. The Véronique Gens’ recording was pretty much self-recommending.

Also bought for a good price surprisingly as well:

Now I own all of Jacobs’ Debussy. 8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:35:38 PM by Mirror Image »

Spineur

« Reply #20373 on: March 19, 2018, 04:04:49 AM »
Although I am not a table pounder, I will make an exception here.  Congratulation MI.  I dont have the Veronique Gens melodies.  I just wishlisted it.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #20374 on: March 19, 2018, 04:07:42 AM »
Landed in time for Maiden-Listen Monday:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20375 on: March 19, 2018, 05:27:44 AM »
Although I am not a table pounder, I will make an exception here.  Congratulation MI.  I dont have the Veronique Gens melodies.  I just wishlisted it.

8)

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #20376 on: March 19, 2018, 06:12:45 PM »
Received in the mail today, Monday, 19 MAR 2018:

Ture Rangstrom (1884-1947): Complete symphonies (4) + Dityramb (17'13) +Varhymn (8'02 + Intermezzo drammatico (16'25)--Michail Jurowski, cond. Norrkoping Symphony Orch.--3 cop CD set.

Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848):  String Quartets 1-3 (55'19)--Pleyel Quartett Koln--cpo CD.
According to the Wikipedia article on the composer, Donizetti wrote 19 string quartets, so this is just a beginning.

Franz Lachner (1803-90): Konig Oedipus: Bühnenmusik zur Trgodie des Sophocles (Incidental Music for the Tragedy by Sophocles. (79'23)--audite CD, Jorg-Peter Weigle, cond., Munich RSO and Mens Choir.  To audite, it apparently is so inconceivable that anyone who is not a native German speaker could possibly be interested in Franz Lachner, that they have abstained from the usual practice of printing liner notes in multiple languages.  No English, no French, no Spanish, no Italian, just German. Sigh!

Franz Lachner:  Mass in F Major, Op. 130 for soloists & 2 choirs (30'14) |Stabat Mater, Op. 154 for soli and 2 choirs  |The 15th Psalm for couble choir (5'26)--Gerd Gugllhor, cond., Orpheus Choir + SATB soli.--Oehms CD.   This album does have some English language notes.  Kudos, Oehms!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:20:22 PM by RebLem »
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20377 on: March 19, 2018, 07:23:54 PM »
Just bought for a blowout price via eBay:

I know Dancing Divertimentian thinks highly of this recording as does Rafael (ritter) I believe. For $12 (w/ free shipping), it seemed like a good deal to me.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #20378 on: March 20, 2018, 02:09:46 AM »
Just bought for a blowout price via eBay:

I know Dancing Divertimentian thinks highly of this recording as does Rafael (ritter) I believe. For $12 (w/ free shipping), it seemed like a good deal to me.
No, ritter does not think highly of this recording, as he's never listened to it  :D. DD's enthusiasm has made me consider it, but with 9 compete recordings in my collection (one of them--Armin Jordan--remaining unlistened to so far), my priorities lie elsewhere... ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:15:19 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #20379 on: March 20, 2018, 04:40:25 AM »

Sung in English, despite the german title. I love Musica Florea, such a lively ensemble.

Contents include the Horst Stein/Bamberger Symphoniker series on Koch-Schwann